'No chance' Adelaide will bid for Grand Prix

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

#16 Post by Edgar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:38 am

I think VIC is hosting too many international and local sports event throughout the year that it actually lost demand to certain and specific event. And most events held in Australia are too centralised towards Melbourne, it would be fair to actually hold one major international sports event in each state, not the majority in Melbourne.

I haven't attend (and I guess will probably have no more chance at this stage) any GP held in Adelaide before, but is the race course exactly the same as being used in the Clipsal?

I must applaud on the design and layout of the race course used in the Clipsal, no doubt it is one of the best street race course in the world, but if you were watching the live Clipsal 500 race action on Channel 7 the other week, there was one camera angle that stunt me and send shiver down my spine.

The camera was located at Wakefiled road stretch (if not mistaken) and is the straight line stretch coming out from one of the turn exits and at the background overlooking our majestic (well a bit of exaggeration here :p) city.

I wish I had the race recorded so that I can show you guys the view, it was astonishing, and I don't think I can find any photos of that, except viewing the video yourself.

Speecless I must say, but back to the topic on the GP, it would be great to instead of having one week of racing (for the Clipsal), we could have 2 weeks of 'hardcore' racing combining the Clipsal and later joined by the Formula 1.

That would be awesome and crazy, but I predict it would affect the responses and attendance of either of the race, especially the Clipsal.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by stelaras » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:36 am

edgar your correct

The numbers are down for Melbourne this year. There are multiple reasons for this;

Firstly, they have had the moomba festival (this is free entry) but all rides/food costs a fortune, the grand prix and the FINA 2007 championships all in consecutive weeks. Add to that the NAB grand final at telstra dome...Even cashed up sports loving melbournians can't fork out that much money to attend all these events..As a consequence, GP numbers are down and FINA ticket sales aren't really that great either. Case in point, the synchronised swimming needs 30,000 attendees to break even at last count there were only 6000 tickets sold..I know what you guys are thinking its only synchronised swimming!

Secondly, and specifically to the GP, the race has lost its appeal. It is in Albert park, which is a man made lake, the roads with the exception of one are not used during everyday driving (only if your visiting the garden area) and more importantly it isnt that close to the city (you definitely cant walk into the city from there).

Finally, the race is marketed as a race and not a carnival/festive event.

The Adelaide track, was formed in and around the CBD, most of the roads were actually driven on everyday by cars, with the exception of the vic park sector. The race was marketed as a carnival/festive arrangement, importantly, there was something the spectators could do after the race!

Funny thing is, the organisers of the melbounre race are toying with the idea of holding the next years race at night! The logic is to attract more european viewers as it will be in their time zone! (without considering the fact that for all of the races bar the asian leg are not in our time zone either)

Could you imagine the infrastructure cost to organise a night event, having to adequately light up 5km of track? Im sure the lighting and the noise level generated will piss off the local residents who would want to sleep, as they need to get to work the next day!

Im praying that they decide to do this....there will be that much voter backlash that Adelaide could pick the race up for not much money at all!

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Snorkie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:37 am

[quote="edgar_raphael"]
I haven't attend (and I guess will probably have no more chance at this stage) any GP held in Adelaide before, but is the race course exactly the same as being used in the Clipsal?quote]

Na the track for the F1's was a lot longer. Came up all the way to the corner of east terrace and rundle street. Would cause a lot more disrupptions than the V8's now that I think about it. Still would love to have em back. Went to every single race since moving to Australia in 88. Loved it.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#19 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm

couldnt they use the curent V8 track rather than the old F1 track? they could hold the V8's one weekend and the F1 the week after to ensure traffic wouldnt be disturbed to much.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by JAKJ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Cruise Control wrote:couldnt they use the curent V8 track rather than the old F1 track? they could hold the V8's one weekend and the F1 the week after to ensure traffic wouldnt be disturbed to much.
No the current track is really too short, the old one is much better.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by shuza » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:30 pm

Would anyone mind highlighting the route differences of the F1 to V8 racetracks?

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Snorkie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:40 pm

shuza wrote:Would anyone mind highlighting the route differences of the F1 to V8 racetracks?
Cant be bothered posting a photo of it, but will tell you that where the V8s turn down bartels road (I think, I dont really follow V8s), I know for a fact that the F1s continued up hutt street to the corner of rundle st. They would then go down rundle road, and then dequeteville tce, and rejoin the V8 track. All in all the track would be like 1km longer id say, and they would still clock times of about 1min 15sec. The current V8 track is way too short for the F1s.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#23 Post by rev » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:17 pm

I think I have an old street directoy somewhere with the old track shown at the back. Ill scan it if I find it.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by JAKJ » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 pm

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by Edgar » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:36 am

Thanks for that, now that's a lot of difference from the current Clipsal track. So is that stretch along Dequetteville Terrace all straight? If it is, then those F1 cars must have reached an incredible speed!

On that note, the intersection between Dequetteville Terrace - Fullarton Road - Wakefield Road and Kensington Rd needs some upgrading. It's small, busy and dangerous especially with the presence of wreckless drviers eg. Taxi. They just cut anywhere, they don't give way, and just jump off the line any time even though they should give way to you.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by JAKJ » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:13 pm

edgar_raphael wrote:
Thanks for that, now that's a lot of difference from the current Clipsal track. So is that stretch along Dequetteville Terrace all straight? If it is, then those F1 cars must have reached an incredible speed!

On that note, the intersection between Dequetteville Terrace - Fullarton Road - Wakefield Road and Kensington Rd needs some upgrading. It's small, busy and dangerous especially with the presence of wreckless drviers eg. Taxi. They just cut anywhere, they don't give way, and just jump off the line any time even though they should give way to you.
Yep its straigt, and yes they got damn fast down those straights... especially since the f1 cars of the early 90s were fastert then the currnet batch.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by shuza » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Holy cow. Thats a long straight. Thanks for that.

The Formula One was good in its heyday of the early 90's. Good cars, good crowds, best street circuit, best atmosphere.... hell it was the best birthdays i ever got, since it was hosted 2 or 3 times on my birthday.

For the events duration, it appears very disruptive traffic wise, since you have 3 roads blockaded and only 1 open for city traffic (North Terrace)

madexml
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#28 Post by madexml » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm

Bring it back to Adelaide the home of Motor Sport!
Adelaide knows their Fast Car business! our weather is better, and our city is better and we party better!

with any luck we can actually host and AFL Grand Final out of bloody Melbourne - after all it is an AUSTRALIAN Competition!!!!
Sorry bit off track there but you get my point! :?

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by shuza » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:45 pm

madexml wrote:Bring it back to Adelaide the home of Motor Sport!
Adelaide knows their Fast Car business! our weather is better, and our city is better and we party better!

with any luck we can actually host and AFL Grand Final out of bloody Melbourne - after all it is an AUSTRALIAN Competition!!!!
We party better? Since when?

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Pistol » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:52 pm

madexml wrote:with any luck we can actually host and AFL Grand Final out of bloody Melbourne - after all it is an AUSTRALIAN Competition!!!!
No chance! The G is the home of AFL and we should keep playing the final there. The AFL would NEVER let the final be played at any other venue. Period.