[PRO] 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls | 46m | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls | 46m | Mixed Use

#1 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 pm

A 14-storey building is planned for the site of popular Fringe venue Little Miss Mexico, on the corner of Grenfell and Frome streets.

But the City Council says its balconies would overhang the footpath too much.

The 45m tall Karidis Corporation project would house a mix of offices and serviced apartments.

The council said the design breaches its encroachment policy, under which at least half the floor area of balconies must be behind the property boundary.

All of the Grenfell St balconies' floor area would overhang the footpath, as well as more than half of the area of the Frome St balconies.

The total width of balconies on some levels also would exceed the maximum allowed, which is 30 per cent of the building facade width.

Councillors this month voted to enforce the encroachment policy, meaning building work could not start even if the design was approved by the Development Assessment Commission, because the council controls the airspace above the footpath.

A staff report said the balconies added architectural interest to the facades but "the scale of the encroachment is significant, offering limited public benefit in return".

"The design of corner buildings has a great impact on the character of the street or precinct," it said.

"The proposed alignment of the building and balconies . . is not consistent with the existing street frontage."

The council's Development Assessment Panel will consider the proposal next month and give advice to the DAC.

Asked if the project would be redesigned so it did not breach the encroachment policy, Karidis Corporation chief executive Peter Karidis declined to comment.

Little Miss Mexico reopened last week after receiving a one month trading licence extension.
Given this contains apartments, I wonder what issues this might cause for the Crown & Anchor, whose band room is along the shared boundary.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: PRO | 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls

#2 Post by Ben » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:36 pm

This developer doesn't have the best track record of actually getting proposals built so will wait and see. I can think of 2 off the top of my head one near vic square on Angus street and one on corner of Angus and Pulteney.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Re: PRO: 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls | 45m | Mixed Use

#3 Post by Ben » Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 am

The ACC are providing comment to the DAC this coming Monday.

The height to roof is 45m.

Little Miss Mexico will also close doors for the last time on Sunday.

Nathan

#4 Post by Nathan » Fri May 03, 2013 10:00 am

*yawn*. Getting sick of this same building getting copy and pasted all over the city with minor changes. Dear developers, some variety in architectual styles please.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Brando » Fri May 03, 2013 10:12 am

Nathan wrote:*yawn*. Getting sick of this same building getting copy and pasted all over the city with minor changes. Dear developers, some variety in architectual styles please.
Agree.....

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by how good is he » Fri May 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Can I also add that when developers try for something different/architectural flare [ie 199-200 North Tce, Adelaide] it spends years with council, doesnt get approved and gets dumbed down anyway...

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Pants » Fri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

It's better than I thought it would be given some of the developer's other buildings, but that's not saying much. I also wish they'd push the design envelope a bit more, but buyers care more for interiors. Until that changes, we're likely to have to keep putting up with cookie cutter residential buildings like this one unfortunately.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Phantom » Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Pants wrote:It's better than I thought it would be given some of the developer's other buildings, but that's not saying much. I also wish they'd push the design envelope a bit more, but buyers care more for interiors. Until that changes, we're likely to have to keep putting up with cookie cutter residential buildings like this one unfortunately.
I just wish they were all ever so slightly different from one another.

Still though, at least it adds slightly more height to the area, should it make it past the proposal stages.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Nathan

#9 Post by Nathan » Fri May 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Pants wrote:I also wish they'd push the design envelope a bit more, but buyers care more for interiors.
Do they though? I bet the interiors of this have the same shitty carpet, standard kitchen and "designer" bathroom that all the others have as well.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Dog » Fri May 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Looks good to me, and great location for city living, close to everything. It might not be stunning but its good and another vote of confidence in Adelaide, the more people living in the city the better. It's not like we are running out of old CBD tin sheds to redevelop.

At least there are windows and balconies in all 4 sides of the 14 story tower, not 14 floors of flat concrete wall, which happens on some of these buildings.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by SRW » Fri May 03, 2013 6:16 pm

So long as it doesn't affect live music at the Cranker, it's fine by me. This side of town needs more residents.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Shahkar » Fri May 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Looks a bit like the Rowlands. But, still better than town houses.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Mants » Fri May 03, 2013 10:29 pm

not too keen on its proximity to the crown and anchor- as it is an important live music venue.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Ben » Mon May 20, 2013 11:52 am

DAC are expected to grant approval at Thursdays meeting.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: PRO: 188 Grenfell Street | 14lvls | 46m | Mixed Use

#15 Post by Goya's Line » Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm

First Occupancy legislation was proposed a decade ago but I don't know for certain it passed. Page 3 describes the circumstances;

http://www.parliament.act.gov.au/__data ... 2_APRA.pdf