[COM] 1 King William St | Facade Upgrade | $12m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] 1 King William St | Facade Upgrade | $12m

#1 Post by Hybrid » Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 am

http://www.hansenyuncken.com.au/product ... -street-sa

The first stage of the project will commence in the third week of June. It will involve re-cladding of the facade. The upgrade will include new insulation and sun hoods to reduce heat in summer while allowing light in during winter.

The entire refurb project is expected to take 12 months.
This project involves $12m facade and services upgrade works to CBD Office Building; 1 King William Street (cnr North Terrace and King William Street).

Having built this multi-story building in 1965, Hansen Yuncken are excited by the opportunity to return to complete the facade overclad and sustainable energy systems works. The building won Hansen Yuncken the coveted International Federation of Asian and Western Pacific Contractors’ Associations Award for the most outstanding construction project completed in Australia in the 1960’s.

The office building will be fully tenanted during the works, therefore necessitating the implementation of a noise abatement regime to ensure tenants quiet and enjoyment benchmarks are achieved during the construction of the works.

The Sustainable Energy System (SES) component of the works includes the installation of a tri-generation system and roof stop solar array panels.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: U/C: 1 King William St | Facade Upgrade | $12m

#2 Post by bm7500 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:54 am

This looks like quite an interesting project. I would like to see some more details/renders though.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 am

thanks Hybrid, does work include refreshing the ground floor frontages onto Nth Tce & KWS?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hybrid
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by Hybrid » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 am

Wayno wrote:thanks Hybrid, does work include refreshing the ground floor frontages onto Nth Tce & KWS?
The render suggests there will be an extension to the awning on Nth Tce and the side laneway, but I have not heard anything about that.

The floor frontage and ground foyer were upgraded only a few years ago (including the inside of the lifts with them further being upgraded currently), so I doubt anything will change much there.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Nathan » Wed May 29, 2013 9:43 am

Not sure what the point of this is. As mentioned, the ground floor was upgraded recently, and the rest of the building still looks pretty good. There's plenty of buildings in Adelaide that are looking tired but this isn't one of them. I fear they'll turn a quality building into something tacky.

mgb
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by mgb » Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 pm

I noticed last week they were trying out a small section of cladding on the side that faces the alley way to see what it looked like. Sorry I didn't get a photo at the time.

It appeared to be the bog standard aluminium cladding used everywhere, which at the time I thought seemed a bit sad given the building itself doesn't look too bad as is.

mgb

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Pants » Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm

Yep. Can't believe they're re-cladding this building with standard aluminium crap.

claybro

#8 Post by claybro » Wed May 29, 2013 7:01 pm

I am actually surprised this façade has not been heritage listed. Along with the State Admin centre in Vic Sq it is an excellent example of a 60's office tower, and its current clean lines still look great. I'm with the others here, that in short time it might look tacky.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by ml69 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:16 pm

I work in the top left hand corner of this building!!! Hadn't heard anything about a facade upgrade however.

Waewick

#10 Post by Waewick » Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 pm

so it might look tacky in a few years.

they'll probably change it then too.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by SRW » Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm

I find the existing façade quite pleasant too, but if the building's being made more energy efficient in the process then the upgrade's not such a bad thing. I just hope the investment here prompts the Stamford next door to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak...
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 am

I agree with others, there is nothing wrong with this landmark building. I love it.

If any building needs a facelift, it's the Stamford.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Vee » Thu May 30, 2013 8:32 am

claybro wrote:I am actually surprised this façade has not been heritage listed. Along with the State Admin centre in Vic Sq it is an excellent example of a 60's office tower, and its current clean lines still look great. I'm with the others here, that in short time it might look tacky.
I feel the same way, Claybro.
This building looks great. The thought of more vile aluminum cladding desecrating the facade is shocking.
It has such a prominent position too!

Energy efficiency is great.
I remain to be convinced about this cladding 'upgrade'.

[Shuz]

#14 Post by [Shuz] » Thu May 30, 2013 10:43 am

I love this building as it is too. Hell, I don't even like the 'modern' changes they made to it at ground level, which in my opinion does not harmonise well with the rest of the building. I hope the cladding upgrade doesn't go through. Energy efficiency or not.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

build 'em smarter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by build 'em smarter » Thu May 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Welcome to Adelaide.... where new buildings are designed to match the old, and old buildings changed to look new! :)