The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#16 Post by rev » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 pm

monotonehell wrote:But Rev, unless you are a large mining corporation or a producer of carbon pollution, neither of those taxes apply to you.
Electricity bills increased as a result of the carbon tax. The cost was passed on to me.
Therefore I am pissed off.

I'm even more pissed off that petrol's going up.

Seems like when the dollar is high, they blame it on external factors, when the dollar drops they say it costs them more so it has to be passed on.

Real shame that Australian's are so lethargic and passive. People riot in other countries over less.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure petrol prices bear no relationship with the carbon tax. Plus the bulk of electricity price increases have been because of infrastructure cost increases, not the carbon tax.

You have no reason not to be angry, but not everything is the government's fault.

rev

#18 Post by rev » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 am

Norman wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure petrol prices bear no relationship with the carbon tax. Plus the bulk of electricity price increases have been because of infrastructure cost increases, not the carbon tax.

You have no reason not to be angry, but not everything is the government's fault.
I never said the carbon tax was the reason fuel has gone up.
That was a separate issue that I was having a swipe at that industry about.
Am I wrong in saying that when the dollar was high, they blamed external factors for charging us more and more, and now that the dollar is down, they blame the dollar being down which costs them more to import fuel?
And then they run gimmicks like 99 cent petrol for 3 hours. The whole point of that is to get you into their mini supermarket to buy things. The fuel is the hook.

And the electricity bills rise..who do you believe, is the answer.
One side says they've gone up because of the carbon tax.
The other side says they've gone up to pay for infrastructure. What new infrastructure for electricity production and delivery is being built? Can we see a list with the costs?

If only governments and political parties weren't intertwined with big corporations, we might have people held accountable for something, somewhere, someday.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:17 am

So the cost of petrol is too high and it's used as a loss leader for convenience stores? :|

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:08 am

rev wrote:And the electricity bills rise..who do you believe, is the answer.
One side says they've gone up because of the carbon tax.
The other side says they've gone up to pay for infrastructure. What new infrastructure for electricity production and delivery is being built? Can we see a list with the costs?
At the time when this debate was raging, those who looked into the data saw that it wasn't the carbon tax that had affected the prices at all. What is the government's fault here was letting commercial interests into infrastructure supply in such a way as to award investment for investment's sake. This plus commercial greed has seen prices increase.
rev wrote:If only governments and political parties weren't intertwined with big corporations, we might have people held accountable for something, somewhere, someday.
Agree 100%
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#21 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm

the infrastructure issue really isn't the corporations fault.

If every man and their dog didn't insist on having their A/C on for 4 or 5 days which required infrastructure to support than or were happy to have blackouts, we wouldn't have an issue

rhino

#22 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Waewick wrote:If every man and their dog didn't insist on having their A/C on for 4 or 5 days
My dog never turns his aircon on. Waste of bloody money getting installed for him!

Actually, I live in a mudbrick house and don't need aircon. Nor does my dog.
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#23 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:59 pm

It's on like Donkey Kong!

Petition for caucus meeting 9am tomorrow morning called. Leadership spill expected at meeting.

I pray to the heavens above, come Friday 28th June 2013, our rightful Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, comes back to the fore.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rhino

#24 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:03 pm

[Shuz] wrote: our rightful Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd
I'm interested to hear how you arrived at that, considering he wasn't the leader at the last election?
cheers,
Rhino

Aidan

#25 Post by Aidan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:57 pm

'Tis simple enough - he should have been leader at the last election.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#26 Post by Aidan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:00 pm

And there will be a leadership ballot two and a half hours from now.

Julia wants the loser to retire from politics at the election.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rev

#27 Post by rev » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Leadership ballot is on. Rudd is on tv live now, has just said he will contest it this time.
He seems VERY happy at the moment, perhaps a hint that he has the numbers to get over the line and finally we can see the end of the red headed witch?
She has promised to quit politics if she loses...WE CAN ONLY HOPE YOU QUIT. Too bad she'll be taking half a million give or take as a pension annually with her.

6.30pm Adelaide time tonight apparently.

Aidan

#28 Post by Aidan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Rudd is the winner!

57 votes to 45.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Shahkar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:27 pm

:hilarious:

[Shuz]

#30 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Aidan wrote:Rudd is the winner!

57 votes to 45.
:applause: :banana: :cheers: :mrgreen: :D
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.