[COM] Uni of Adelaide - Med School | 70m | 15lvl | $120m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #PRO: Uni of Adelaide - Medical School - 13lvl- $120 mil

#31 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 pm

ml69 wrote:
SRW wrote:Though if one of the potential future uses for the RAH heritage buildings is a relocated Adelaide High School, that location might then make more sense.
Haven't heard that one before. Who has it been proposed or rumoured by? Seems odd however, given that Adelaide High School is having extensions done?
That would be an excelent use of the old site.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:38 am

ml69 wrote:
SRW wrote:Though if one of the potential future uses for the RAH heritage buildings is a relocated Adelaide High School, that location might then make more sense.
Haven't heard that one before. Who has it been proposed or rumoured by? Seems odd however, given that Adelaide High School is having extensions done?
I don't know if it's being discussed officially, but it wouldn't surprise me as the idea has a lot of merit. I saw it recently advocated by someone from the Design Institute of Australia's SA branch in an op-ed for Indaily. As far as the construction at Adelaide High goes, I understand that these facilities are really only a stop-gap to overcome current crowding and that the school's capacity will again be exceeded if demand keeps growing as it has -- especially if the proposal to expand the school's zone to encompass the inner north is successful. Remembering that the Council has forbidden any further leases of parkland for the school to grow at its current site and that its existing buildings are otherwise constrained by heritage listing, a relocation begins to make more sense.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Phantom » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 am

Matt wrote:Great point. Hope these buildings engage with the riverfront rather than backing onto them as buildings in the past have done.
Hahaha. You described my comment in far better than I did. Backing onto the river and having it merely 'out the back' would be horrible. Does the Government ever impliment deals with developers that they can reign free over the land, with a sub-clause of "But you must make sure to invest $X, XXX,XXX into development of *insert thing that needs fixing here*. I mean, I'm assuming they would've done something similar with the SAJC over Victoria Park eons ago, no?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#34 Post by buildit83 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:50 am

has there been an announcement where the Adelaide railway yard control centre will go? I'm guessing they're moving it on the river side of the railway yard but I haven't heard anything about it. wherever its built I hope its designed so it can be built on top of for any future development over the railway yards, it would be a missed opportunity if it blocks access to the river from north terrace like the railway yards currently does.

metro
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by metro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:49 pm

buildit83 wrote:has there been an announcement where the Adelaide railway yard control centre will go? I'm guessing they're moving it on the river side of the railway yard but I haven't heard anything about it. wherever its built I hope its designed so it can be built on top of for any future development over the railway yards, it would be a missed opportunity if it blocks access to the river from north terrace like the railway yards currently does.
I think Dry Creek Depot was built with space for a rail control centre, that is the most likely outcome. However I would like to see a well designed control centre in the triangle of the Western yard entrance next to where that old signal box is.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#36 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 am

SRW wrote:
ml69 wrote:
I don't know if it's being discussed officially, but it wouldn't surprise me as the idea has a lot of merit. I saw it recently advocated by someone from the Design Institute of Australia's SA branch in an op-ed for Indaily. As far as the construction at Adelaide High goes, I understand that these facilities are really only a stop-gap to overcome current crowding and that the school's capacity will again be exceeded if demand keeps growing as it has -- especially if the proposal to expand the school's zone to encompass the inner north is successful. Remembering that the Council has forbidden any further leases of parkland for the school to grow at its current site and that its existing buildings are otherwise constrained by heritage listing, a relocation begins to make more sense.
I'm sorry, but if they re-built Adelaide High School at the site of the old RAH that would be a waste of quality land; not to mention the fact that it would only lead to further desertion of the Western Park-lands.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:35 am

Patrick_27 wrote:I'm sorry, but if they re-built Adelaide High School at the site of the old RAH that would be a waste of quality land; not to mention the fact that it would only lead to further desertion of the Western Park-lands.
Second campus, not new venue. methinks.
cheers,
Rhino

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#38 Post by buildit83 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:52 am

metro wrote: I think Dry Creek Depot was built with space for a rail control centre, that is the most likely outcome. However I would like to see a well designed control centre in the triangle of the Western yard entrance next to where that old signal box is.

oh ok I didn't realise they are looking at moving the control centre to Dry Creek also, you would have thought it would need to be at Adelaide. I agree with you on the Western entrance just seems like wasted land that will never really be used for anything, would be a good option to move it there and incorporate the old signal box somehow. either way I hope the Adelaide Uni Medical School and the Uni SA Cancer Research buildings kicks starts more developments over the railway yards. such under utilised land in a prime location!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I'm sorry, but if they re-built Adelaide High School at the site of the old RAH that would be a waste of quality land; not to mention the fact that it would only lead to further desertion of the Western Park-lands.
Please come up with a better concrete idea before declaring things as "a waste of quality land." How would a public high school be a waste of public land?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#40 Post by Rene » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:08 am

Patrick_27 wrote:that would be a waste of quality land; not to mention the fact that it would only lead to further desertion of the Western Park-lands.
If we let the developers off their leash we wouldn't have any parklands/gardens to enjoy :shock: Some people do appreciate the "green belt" surrounding the city and see it as an attraction. :)
monotonehell wrote:Please come up with a better concrete idea before declaring things as "a waste of quality land."
Agreed.

Walkinshaw
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#41 Post by Walkinshaw » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 am

metro wrote:
buildit83 wrote:has there been an announcement where the Adelaide railway yard control centre will go?
I think Dry Creek Depot was built with space for a rail control centre, that is the most likely outcome.
The TAOC building at Dry Creek was constructed with sufficient room to house signaling control equipment & console stations to control the network. 50% of the bottom floor is empty server rooms in readiness for this eventuality.

stronic
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #PRO: Uni of Adelaide - Medical School - $120 million

#42 Post by stronic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:41 pm

rev wrote:Here's a larger version of the render in the cancer center thread.
It appears part of this development backs up towards the River Torrens..so I assume part of it will be built over the train lines?

What is that glassy building to the right? Love it!

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by dsriggs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 pm

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 pm

dsriggs wrote:
Wow, wow, wow. Goes to show just how comprehensive this vision is. But the biggest surprise to me was an easterly tram extension indicated at 0:07! DPTI wouldn't be foreshadowing an announcement there, would they? :D
Keep Adelaide Weird

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by Phantom » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Couldn't help myself, had to take some screenshots of the precinit in the video. :P

"Mono, you're a knob. <3"