Islington | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Daveboughtlunch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Islington | Developments & News

#121 Post by Daveboughtlunch » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:48 am

Hi all. New to the forum.

I noticed the construction of this centre is well and truly underway. Walls have started going up, ground works seem well advanced and it looks like some sort of works are going to be carried out to Churchill Road itself.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#122 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks for the news and welcome to the boards, Dave. You still buying lunch? What time, where? :)
cheers,
Rhino

Daveboughtlunch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#123 Post by Daveboughtlunch » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks Rhino.

I bought lunch once. What a horrible experience.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#124 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:04 am

It's not the most exciting retail development but it's better than what's currently there. I do wonder though what will happen to those heritage buildings squeezed between this and Bunnings. Maybe a future museum?

Renders can be found here... The exterior is very basic, but the interior looks alright.
http://www.realcommercial.com.au/proper ... rn-5595813

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#125 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Doesn't look too bad for what it is though.

I asked a Coles truckie the progress of this the other day, and he said the walls are up on the site. A big jump from when I was last there, so I'd say this will start opening early next year.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#126 Post by Briggzy_03 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm

The plans and renders look very similar to what has been built here in Canberra at Majura Park.

I'll be happy if it turns out anything close to that.

claybro

#127 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:50 pm

crawf wrote:I do wonder though what will happen to those heritage buildings squeezed between this and Bunnings. Maybe a future museum?
Do you mean the large heritage style factories? These buildings are still used by various rail related companies. Bluebird Rail for example do maintenance work and refurbishments subcontracted from the maintenance suppliers to the GSR, and various other train operators. The old office buildings immediately on Churchill Road I am not so sure. They are all beautiful buildings, and it would be a shame if any were to go. Would also be a shame if the industry was moved from this area for housing, we need some industry close to the city, and this site would probably be highly polluted after years of rail works there. As for the shopping centre, it looks pretty good, and should lift this area big time.

The Scooter Guy

#128 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:15 pm

crawf wrote:It's not the most exciting retail development but it's better than what's currently there. I do wonder though what will happen to those heritage buildings squeezed between this and Bunnings. Maybe a future museum?

Renders can be found here... The exterior is very basic, but the interior looks alright.
http://www.realcommercial.com.au/proper ... rn-5595813

Awesome!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#129 Post by MessiahAndrw » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 am

Is this development north of the new Bunnings?

Is anything happening south of Regency Road, in that big unused plot right next to Islington Station?
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#130 Post by neoballmon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:42 am

Yes this is North of Bunnings.

Haven't heard anything for the South, but my guess with this new development would be residential down there, if it has/can get the right zoning.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#131 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:55 pm

neoballmon wrote:Yes this is North of Bunnings.

Haven't heard anything for the South, but my guess with this new development would be residential down there, if it has/can get the right zoning.
Years ago there was supposed to be a shopping centre built south of Bunnings (think it's name was going to be Palm Gardens), but besides the removal of a water cooler, nothing happened on the site besides a couple of sign promoting the future shopping centre. Clearly that won't happen now with the Churchill Centre.

Churchill Centre looks like it will be a good development - the Shell/Coles Express servo will make an absolute killing as there's no servo on the outbound route of Churchill/Cavan Rd at all (the inbound route has an On The Run not opposite the Albion).

Daveboughtlunch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#132 Post by Daveboughtlunch » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 pm

A friend of mine is working on the project and tells me that the new Coles will be the new superstore format. The Churchill Rd Coles will apparently be one of the biggest in Australia.

Looks like a promising development.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#133 Post by how good is he » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Still surprised how big this development will be for basically Kilburn/Blair Athol (I know people will come from everywhere). I am also surprised as Churchill Rd is almost one lane in parts around this....Considering all the vacant land around the Gepps Cross Homemaker centre (plus more high exposure, wider and more arterial main roads) it would have been more appropriate for this.
I can only assume the land at Islington was so cheap for the tenants/developers (maybe because it was contaminated?) that it made it work.
Interested to know if the railway line behind the development can or will be used for either a commuter stop for the public or for a cargo stop for suppliers. Anyone know?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#134 Post by neoballmon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 am

how good is he wrote: as Churchill Rd is almost one lane in parts around this...
Outside this development is the only section of Churchill that's single Lane, between Regency and GJR, and I imagine they'd widen it as part of the development, as they did outside Bunnings, when they installed the traffic lights

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#135 Post by Pistol » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:28 pm

There are signs for major roadworks so I hope they are widening this section to make it two lanes.
It is a dangerous stretch of road as it is too wide for one lane and not wide enough for two lanes.
I have lost track how many times I have tried to be overtaken on the inside while driving down here - road rules people!!!
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken