[COM] Britannia Roundabout

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: Britannia Roundabout

#16 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:29 pm

So, two roundabouts, because a single one works so well...

That said, I'm not whinging. It's an odd idea about I am glad that the problem is getting some form of credible attention.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Dvious » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 am

Did anyone see the news report which showed some elderly man (member of the parklands association or some bullshit) complaining about loosing 60sqm of park lands, and how its like tooth decay, and slowly it will all be gone?

So close to throwing my TV out the window.

[Shuz]

#18 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:46 am

They will cease to exist soon enough, and then we shan't have to worry about such pathetic trivial matters.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by joshzxzx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the V8 supercars travel along that section of road??? It wouldn't surprise me if they have to remove the small roundabout every year to accommodate!
South Australia the Festival State

[Shuz]

#20 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 am

True, but that's probably why there's no trees on the smaller roundabout.

Also, the double roundabout actually accomodates the Clipsal well, as it means the bigger one can stay open, thus, actually alleviating traffic flow and congestion through the area when the race is on.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#21 Post by Aidan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 pm

[Shuz] wrote:True, but that's probably why there's no trees on the smaller roundabout.

Also, the double roundabout actually accomodates the Clipsal well, as it means the bigger one can stay open, thus, actually alleviating traffic flow and congestion through the area when the race is on.
Overrun space is still needed (in case someone blows a tyre at high speed, which did once happen on an F1 car at the end of that straight)), so it's likely both roundabouts would have to close.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#22 Post by claybro » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 pm

joshzxzx wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the V8 supercars travel along that section of road??? It wouldn't surprise me if they have to remove the small roundabout every year to accommodate!
No surprise at all. They build and tear down the entire pit straight grandstand and garages every year, I'm sure a piddly little roundabout will pose no problems.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Shahkar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:32 pm

EBG

#24 Post by EBG » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Work has started on this project. The original round about has been reduced in size. This will become the larger (southern most) of the 2 new round abouts. Pictures taken Sunday 22 September
Attachments
031.jpg
031.jpg (506.16 KiB) Viewed 7945 times
030.jpg
030.jpg (376.88 KiB) Viewed 7945 times

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by fishinajar » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:02 pm

No work happening tonight. Rain? Final layer of bitumen maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Maximus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:11 am

I'm amazed and very happy that finally, after all these years, we're actually seeing action!

I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be a good solution. Looking forward to trying it out when I'm back at Christmas time.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Waewick

#27 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 am

Maximus wrote:I'm amazed and very happy that finally, after all these years, we're actually seeing action!

I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be a good solution. Looking forward to trying it out when I'm back at Christmas time.
funnily enough, 10 years after leaving the Norwood area, I'm moving back to the Eastern Suburbs and will be using this thing daily....so I'll see first hand if anything has actually improved.

from my experience, peoples lack of driving ability is more to blame than the roundabout.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by Torrens_5022 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:45 pm

The "original" roundabout is confusing - the signage is bad also heading east out of the city Fullarton Rd (north) is hard to see when your at the roundabout it blurs into Kensington Rd. This roundabout is annoying - eg heading north from Fullarton Rd (south) onto Fullarton Rd (north) you need to turn right - which means the roundabout is notcentered - which adds to my first point the Kensington Rd and Fullarton Rd (north) junction is not aligned properly. :banana:

EBG

#29 Post by EBG » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Fullarton Road (North and South)and Kensington Roads meet at one point and Wakefield Road and Dequeteville Tce meet at a different point. The original round about was stretched into and egg shape to try to overcome this problem, but did not really work. The Britannia round about corner has been in the top 5 most crashed intersections for at least the last ten years, including several times as the most crashed intersection.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:20 pm

EBG wrote:Fullarton Road (North and South)and Kensington Roads meet at one point and Wakefield Road and Dequeteville Tce meet at a different point. The original round about was stretched into and egg shape to try to overcome this problem, but did not really work. The Britannia round about corner has been in the top 5 most crashed intersections for at least the last ten years, including several times as the most crashed intersection.
Best description ever "egg shaped" - roundabouts should be round and be uniform with other roundabouts - so people who are not familiar with an area should be able to negotiate it with ease.