[VIS] New Womens and Childrens Hospital

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

[VIS] Re: PRO : New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#16 Post by adam73837 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm

I wonder what will happen to the present site of the Women's and Children's? Apartments I would imagine.

Although I must say that having spent quite a bit of time there when I was young, it was in a nice relaxing location right next to the park.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by fishinajar » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:14 am

Existing site would make for a better site for an additional high school than the old rah site IMO. Plenty of park space adjacent for ovals and courts. Or could be located on south east corner and use existing college ovals.
The site would do best to be split up into a few smaller blocks with lane ways such as the structure of the east end.
The school could take up a couple if buildings with the others being mainly apartments. Ground floor being preserved for dining and retail. And maybe some frontage for commercial along king William and on corner or brougham and sir Edwin smith.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by how good is he » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:01 pm

It was mooted as a new development initially as an Athletes Village for a Commonwealth Games and then sold off as apartments, retail etc

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[VIS] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#19 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Has this been approved? Over the last two days the land where this is to be built has been cleared and look like site works are commencing?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:58 am

Ben wrote:Has this been approved? Over the last two days the land where this is to be built has been cleared and look like site works are commencing?

As far as I'm aware, this development wasn't meant to commence until 2018 for a 2022 completion. So basically an election promise from Labor.

Perhaps clearing the site is a show for exterior works on that side of the RAH building coming to an end?

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Pikey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:24 am

Ben wrote:Has this been approved? Over the last two days the land where this is to be built has been cleared and look like site works are commencing?
Id say its part of the site clean up mate, seeing as construction proper of the new RAH is coming to an end.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Ben » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:43 am

I couldn't see any mention of this in the budget. I guess its still a long time off.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:31 pm

They are in final stages of a wetland. It looks quite nice but seems a waste of money if a hospital is to be built over it in a few years...

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:55 am

Ben wrote:
They are in final stages of a wetland. It looks quite nice but seems a waste of money if a hospital is to be built over it in a few years...
I could be wrong here but, I would assume that this wetland is simply a glorified storm water retention basin. My understanding is that they are built to reduce to amount of water and pollutants flowing directly into catchments during wet weather.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#25 Post by rev » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:35 am

Well this doesn't seem to be a vision anymore, as they announced today the government has started the planning for this.
To be located next to the new RAH, aiming for it to be completed by 2024 I think they said.

I'm interested to see how they fit it into the space available, and if they use the NRAH's twin helicopter pad, or if another one will be included in the NWCH.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:15 am

As Rev has reported:
SA Libs to push ahead with hospital move

A new co-located hospital for women and children will be built in Adelaide in line with an election commitment, Premier Steven Marshall says, amid opposition suggestions it could cost more than $2.5 billion.

The new facility should be located alongside the new Royal Adelaide Hospital on North Terrace, based on clinical advice, Mr Marshall says.

He's appointed a task force to advise the government on options for the proposed move with a view to having that information by the end of the year.

Mr Marshall has declined to speculate on the cost of the new facility but has pledged to take the advice of clinicians on how to proceed throughout the process.

"This is a matter of safety," he said told reporters on Wednesday.

"Adelaide is the only mainland capital city which doesn't have a co-located women's and children's hospital with the major teaching hospital

"The clinicians tell us this is sub-optimal. In fact, the clinicians tell us this is dangerous."

Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas said it was up to the new government to release details of its plans.

But he said some estimates put the cost of a new co-located hospital at more than the $2.3 billion spent on the new RAH.

"The cost of a brand new women's and children's hospital on the site of the biomedical precinct can be well in excess of $2.5 billion," he said.

Health Minister Stephen Wade said he had not seen any cost estimates for a new facility beyond $2 billion with one estimate coming in at $1.4 billion.

"This will be a great asset for the people of South Australia in terms of health outcomes," he said.

Labor took a pledge to the election to move the women's hospital to an area alongside the new RAH at a cost of about $500 million with a view to establishing a separate children's hospital nearby at some stage in the future.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/ ... pital-move

ml69
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by ml69 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:48 am

Leaked SA Health documents reveal alternative sites locations for new Women’s and Children’s Hospital

The documents show SA Health has discussed shifting the hospital to various nearby sites, including the area which houses Thebarton police barracks and horse stables.

Other options included a city block at the corner of North and West terraces, now occupied by buildings including the heritage-listed New-market Hotel, and the Parklands between the train line and River Torrens, near the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute’s “cheese grater” building.

SITES CONSIDERED FOR THE NEW HOSPITAL

OPTION 1
RAH expansion zone

FOR
■ Land is already owned by the State Government.
■ No impact on parklands.
■ Optimises infrastructure at the new RAH.

AGAINST
■ In the critical flight path.
■ Some existing infrastructure needs to be moved.
■ Access issues to and from the site for traffic.
■ Limited carparking on site.
■ Next to railway and needs to be vibration proofed.
■ Limited outdoor space.
■ Can only include some WCH research space, no accommodation

OPTION 2
North Terrace

FOR
■ Near existing health precinct.
■ Adequate land, including carparking.
■ Outside flight path, no height restrictions.
■ Well served by public transport including tram and bus.
■ Separate entry to RAH.
■ Easy access for vehicles and pedestrians.

AGAINST
■ Costly compulsory land acquisition needed.
■ Linkage to RAH difficult.
■ Heritage listed facilities in the footprint.
■ No access to parklands.

OPTION 3
Western Parklands

FOR
■ Allow for larger heights than RAH expansion zone, but still flight path-affected.
■ Large enough to fit entire WCH.
■ Within broader health precinct.
■ Close to the RAH, can be linked with air bridge.
■ Near parklands, gives patients external access.
■ Future expansion opportunities.

AGAINST
■ All subject to Parklands Act and legislative protection.
■ Heritage listed facilities in the area.
■ Plot A, Thebarton barracks, is used by police for training.
■ Plot B is used to keep police horses.
■ All three require air bridges to link with RAH services.

OPTION 4
Parklands (Riverbank)

FOR
■ Within broader health precinct.

AGAINST
■ Too far from RAH acute services.
■ Earmarked by council for helicopter pad and tourism.
■ Access issues due to railyards.

Premier Steven Marshall was elected with a promise to build a new WCH on the RAH site by 2024, and The Advertiser yesterday published Freedom of Information documents showing senior bureaucrats this year estimated the price tag for that location at a huge $1.8 billion.

The leaked SA Health analysis finds major challenges with each proposal which include legislative bans on building on the parklands sites, land purchase costs associated with the North Tce option and general difficulties in linking the new WCH locations to the RAH.

Clinicians strongly back moving the WCH from North Adelaide to the CBD so that women with high-risk pregnancies easily access adult services at the RAH, including intensive care.

The SA Health analysis says simply putting the WCH in an “expansion zone” quarantined at the current RAH is difficult due to airport flight paths and the nearby railyards.

It is understood the leaked document was compiled before the state election.

Health and Wellbeing Minister Stephen Wade said a new task force he created to drive the move since the March election would look at the long-discussed project with fresh eyes.

It has been charged with developing a high-level master plan of the chosen site option, including construction costs and annual operating expenses for the new WCH.

Mr Wade said he couldn’t comment directly on past SA Health analysis, but his task force would “look at any site options that allow for co-location with a physical link to the RAH”.

“The site ... will be considered in the context of the overall task force recommendations, which include the services required, the space available and the overall cost,” he said.

The leaked analysis says the North Tce site over the road from the RAH has the benefit of being near the existing precinct and could be easily accessed by public transport.

However, it warns of significant cost related to compulsory land acquisition as well as heritage protections.

Three separate sites in parklands west of the RAH could be linked to that hospital with air bridges, but police functions would have to be moved and development legislation changed.

A portion of parklands near the Riverbank is considered problematic due to nearby railyards.

The Government’s preferred site, immediately west of the RAH in the quarantined expansion zone, needs expensive vibration-proofing and would have limited carparking nearby.

Opposition health spokesman Chris Picton said the Government must release all advice it had received on possible sites for the new WCH, and put cash aside in September’s State Budget.

“This is going to be a very complex project, that the Government has promised,” he said. There has clearly been a lot of work that has previously been done by the health department and by the infrastructure people in trying to work up every possible solution.

“It was very easy for the Liberal Party in opposition to promise a whole range of things.

“Just because the government changes, doesn’t mean the engineering issues do.”

Labor at the election pledged $528 million to move the women’s component of the hospital to the RAH site, with children’s services to follow later on a site to be determined.

A document on “land options” for the new WCH were discovered when processing The Advertiser’s Freedom of Information request, but kept secret as the department determined it contained commercial information and releasing it was not in the “public interest”.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 7268f1258d
Which option do forum members prefer?
I like option 2 as no impact on the parklands plus the potential for further urban rejuvenation of the western end of Hindley St and the north-west of the CBD.

Also allows NRAH room for future expansion.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:42 am

Option 2 sounds best I agree.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by TorrensSA » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:52 am

Why can't there be an option 5 on the oval on the corner of West Tce and Port Rd.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by HiTouch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:56 am

Option 2 has a development happening on that corner sometime in the near future doesn't it? Also you'd be putting sick children amongst the drunken rabble of Hindley St.

I'd be more for Option 1 or Option 4 out of harms way.