News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2266 Post by Aidan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 pm

I saw the Oaklands crossing barriers go down at around 1445. They stayed down a few minutes but I didn't see any trains.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2267 Post by mattblack » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:01 pm

SAR526 wrote:The first trains have arrived in Oaklands since the shutdown early this year. Two test trains came through the Goodwood underpass and reversed over the Oaklands crossover to return to the city. I was told by a friendly official on the platform that there may have been a third planned.

The train at about 14.00 consisted of 3007 with 3017 trailing on approach. As they entered the station at quite a respectable velocity with no sign that the track was imposing any restrictions, the Diagonal/Morphett Roads crossing barriers went down, but immediately rose again as soon as the train was stationary.

It would seem that it is intended to open the line to Oaklands as soon as possiblel, if only for electoral reasons. In this case, it may be that the interchange with the Noarlunga Centre/Seaford buses may be moved from the city back to Oaklands with a timetable similar to that which obtained when the first shutdown for the Convention Centre reconstruction work.
Tonsley services will resume this month and Noarlunga services next month

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/RR

Open day on the 10th to celebrate the Goodwood junction opening at Forestville reserve with a free sausage sizzle and train rides through the underpass from Goodwood Station.

Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2268 Post by Milkomeda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:18 pm

mattblack wrote:
SAR526 wrote:The first trains have arrived in Oaklands since the shutdown early this year. Two test trains came through the Goodwood underpass and reversed over the Oaklands crossover to return to the city. I was told by a friendly official on the platform that there may have been a third planned.

The train at about 14.00 consisted of 3007 with 3017 trailing on approach. As they entered the station at quite a respectable velocity with no sign that the track was imposing any restrictions, the Diagonal/Morphett Roads crossing barriers went down, but immediately rose again as soon as the train was stationary.

It would seem that it is intended to open the line to Oaklands as soon as possiblel, if only for electoral reasons. In this case, it may be that the interchange with the Noarlunga Centre/Seaford buses may be moved from the city back to Oaklands with a timetable similar to that which obtained when the first shutdown for the Convention Centre reconstruction work.
Tonsley services will resume this month and Noarlunga services next month

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/RR

Open day on the 10th to celebrate the Goodwood junction opening at Forestville reserve with a free sausage sizzle and train rides through the underpass from Goodwood Station.
That information is outdated from my understanding now the Noarlunga Line is on course to reopen this month (Not December like most have thought) while the Tonsley Line is closed indefinitely due to the federal government pulling out funds to finish the last of the upgrade which is the signalling works on the Tonsley Line. Construction side of signalling works are done as far as Christie Downs on the Noarlunga with only the final portion to go. I've been told the Noarlunga Line will be ready for its reopening in the last week of November while signal tests and driver training begins on the Noarlunga line shortly which should roughly take 2-3 weeks from what I was told. (Expect to see more test trains on the Noarlunga Line in the coming 3 weeks) I was told unless something major disrupts progress the line will be reopening in November

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2269 Post by Vee » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 am

Pic of new bike cage at the new Seaford-Meadows railway station.
via @MarkParnellMP
http://twitter.com/MarkParnellMLC/statu ... 33/photo/1

Good to see inreasing integration of public transport, not just via extended Park'n'Ride facilities, but with cycling.

Interested in the security aspect of the bike cages, so looked this up.
Anyone got any comments?
http://dpti.sa.gov.au/activeforlife/article?item=135

Nathan

#2270 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 am

16 bikes isn't very many. Personally, I think it would be much better if they made it easier to take a bike on to the train with you. At the moment it's only during off-peak, and you need to pay a second fare. Let's get some Portland tram style hooks at the end of carriages.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2271 Post by monotonehell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 pm

How do places like Portland handle making sure people manage to get their bike before the transport leaves the stop?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#2272 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:07 pm

monotonehell wrote:How do places like Portland handle making sure people manage to get their bike before the transport leaves the stop?
It's not a completely separate area, it's just a space at the ends (near a set of doors) similar to the wheelchair designated areas. There's 2 or 3 hooks, and you just hang your bike vertically. Most people sit or stand near to the bike. Unhook it and wheel it out when you arrive at your stop.
> http://trimet.org/howtoride/bikes/bikesonmax.htm

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2273 Post by mattblack » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Nathan wrote:
monotonehell wrote:How do places like Portland handle making sure people manage to get their bike before the transport leaves the stop?
It's not a completely separate area, it's just a space at the ends (near a set of doors) similar to the wheelchair designated areas. There's 2 or 3 hooks, and you just hang your bike vertically. Most people sit or stand near to the bike. Unhook it and wheel it out when you arrive at your stop.
> http://trimet.org/howtoride/bikes/bikesonmax.htm
There's a few problems with this including capacity constraints for bikes on board and trying to gain access to your bike, especially during busy periods. A Copenhagen solution is much better, they have dedicated half a train carriage to bike storage with seating foe about 30 people + bikes (I have heard that it is now entire train carriages due to the popularity of the integration). You can only put bikes on their suburban trains, the Metro doesn't allow trains but they do have storage and changing facilities at every stop. Of course this costs mega bucks to implement.

EBG

#2274 Post by EBG » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Another section of steel work is now on the western side of the new Wayville station close to the army barracks. Sorry did not have time for a picture

Xaragmata

#2275 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Wayville - from last week:

From Monday:

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#2276 Post by bay transit » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Test trains from Adelaide to Noarlunga start tomorrow.
Electronic signs have gone up at several crossings today to warn drivers.There also have been reports on the radio traffic reports about it happening.

The Scooter Guy

#2277 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 pm

bay transit wrote:Test trains from Adelaide to Noarlunga start tomorrow.
Electronic signs have gone up at several crossings today to warn drivers.There also have been reports on the radio traffic reports about it happening.
I'll be heading to Goodwood for pics!
Diesel, Electric or both?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#2278 Post by Tonsley213 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
bay transit wrote:Test trains from Adelaide to Noarlunga start tomorrow.
I'll be heading to Goodwood for pics!
Diesel, Electric or both?
I would love to see electric trains pass through Goodwood Junction Underpass, actually I would love to see the extension cord.

[Shuz]

#2279 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:20 am

Just diesel trains, Scooter. The actual electrification works between Adelaide and Oaklands, I think, hasn't even started yet. They've put all the poles up, but no wires.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2280 Post by Milkomeda » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Tomorrow another historic occasion is due to occur

Railcar 4001 is due to be tested from Seaford to Brighton presumably to test the electric trains past Noarlunga and to test the large section of electrical infrastructure of the line that went live yesterday