Velo Adelaide 500

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Re: Clipsal 500 2013

#16 Post by Phantom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Nathan wrote:Wasn't part of the reason for canning it down to a massive campaign in the media saying we should be spending the money on nurses?
I do believe so. Now aren't we in a position where we have too many and not enough doctors, or something like that? Hahaha. How times change.

But yeah, a permanent, major motor racing event held on New Year's Eve in Adelaide would've been absolutely fantastic. They ended out doing 850km of the 1000km suggested and it ended at 10pm. This gave everyone enough time to either hit the town from there, or stay and watch the fireworks in the parklands. Either way, it was brilliant.

Monotone, dude!... What is that? A motor racing track in Elizbabeth? Surely the cars would have to give way to stolen vehicles and emergency services? :P
(To be fair, it actually reminds me of the V8 track in Homebush Bay...)
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Phantom wrote:Monotone, dude!... What is that? A motor racing track in Elizbabeth? Surely the cars would have to give way to stolen vehicles and emergency services? :P
(To be fair, it actually reminds me of the V8 track in Homebush Bay...)
Hehe it's a joke proposition I first put forward sometime back in the mid-2000s. I pull it back out now and then for shitsandgiggles.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Phantom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:40 pm

To be fair, it could be used as a stage of the Tour Down Under. Perhaps the winner is the cyclist who can stay on their bike the longest without getting robbed? Kinda like a points race?

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by spiller » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Phantom, sorry I didnt realise it was an ALMS race! I was just a kid back then (but was still infatuated with motorsport) and kids only hear what they want to hear. ALMS has merged with Grand Am as of next year now anyway. Still, I would have enjoyed 13 years of that up until now :(. Cant help but thinking the state gov. particularly loves clipsal because it supports home built cars which goes along with the theme of Holden being based in SA (not that it will be around for much longer). I guess Clipsal is good bang for buck for the government and it's at least something for us petrol heads but we shouldn't settle for national events like we have for the past 15-20 years.

Anyway Phantom, you'll be pleased to hear that there are plans to have an historic F1 festival in Adelaide based on a shortened version of the current parklands circuit from as early as this coming April.

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/c ... 6771548294

If it gains momentum hopefully it can be even a slither of what goodwood FOS brings!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by ml69 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:39 am

spiller wrote:Phantom, sorry I didnt realise it was an ALMS race! I was just a kid back then (but was still infatuated with motorsport) and kids only hear what they want to hear. ALMS has merged with Grand Am as of next year now anyway. Still, I would have enjoyed 13 years of that up until now :(. Cant help but thinking the state gov. particularly loves clipsal because it supports home built cars which goes along with the theme of Holden being based in SA (not that it will be around for much longer). I guess Clipsal is good bang for buck for the government and it's at least something for us petrol heads but we shouldn't settle for national events like we have for the past 15-20 years.

Anyway Phantom, you'll be pleased to hear that there are plans to have an historic F1 festival in Adelaide based on a shortened version of the current parklands circuit from as early as this coming April.

If it gains momentum hopefully it can be even a slither of what goodwood FOS brings!
Just been reading about the Goodwood FOS ... I'd never heard of it before but I'm sure any car enthusiast would have. This event attracts 150,000 spectators over 4 days in the UK!!

A similar concept in Adelaide would be awesome!! It should be the next major festival to be developed in SA and funding provided by the state government.

Do it before Victoria has a similar idea!!

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Phantom » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:32 am

Yeah, I gotta admit, the merger of ALMS and Grand Am isn't my cuppa tea. I'm a Le Mans purist to the point that I really do hate the changes, making the P2 class the fastest and discontinuing the P1 class. They've nerfed themselves, you know? The WEC at least still has P1 class cars, even if there are only half a dozen of them and are mainly works teams! To me, the best races of these was the 1999 Le Mans race. Just look how many manufacturers took part in LMP alone! http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/L ... 06-13.html

So, I found The Race of a Thousand Years on YouTube. It's a pretty decent video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WECff7_IaE

Also, this is why you never speed along East Tce!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WECff7_ ... age#t=3819

This idea of a Historic F1 Festival is brilliant! I kinda won't be holding my breath on it, however. I'd absolutely love to go to something like that! I'd be absolutely stoked if it became half as good as the Goodwood Festival! I'd pay good money to see the McLaren-Honda MP4/4 driving along the Brabham and Jones Straights again! :D

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Hooligan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:05 am

Phantom wrote:To be fair, it could be used as a stage of the Tour Down Under. Perhaps the winner is the cyclist who can stay on their bike the longest without getting robbed? Kinda like a points race?
Adelaide is a backwater that will never be considered an important city because it is full of bogans and will always be considered a laughing stock next to Sydney and Melbourne.

Adelaide is Australia's toilet.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#23 Post by rev » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

ml69 wrote:
spiller wrote:Phantom, sorry I didnt realise it was an ALMS race! I was just a kid back then (but was still infatuated with motorsport) and kids only hear what they want to hear. ALMS has merged with Grand Am as of next year now anyway. Still, I would have enjoyed 13 years of that up until now :(. Cant help but thinking the state gov. particularly loves clipsal because it supports home built cars which goes along with the theme of Holden being based in SA (not that it will be around for much longer). I guess Clipsal is good bang for buck for the government and it's at least something for us petrol heads but we shouldn't settle for national events like we have for the past 15-20 years.

Just been reading about the Goodwood FOS ... I'd never heard of it before but I'm sure any car enthusiast would have. This event attracts 150,000 spectators over 4 days in the UK!!

A similar concept in Adelaide would be awesome!! It should be the next major festival to be developed in SA and funding provided by the state government.

Do it before Victoria has a similar idea!!

These posts should be deleted and the server formated to prevent those bloody thieving Victorians from stealing something else from us!

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Phantom » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 am

Let's just tell the Victorians that Monotone's picture is our overall plan for the Clipsal 500, and watch them adjust...
By making Dandenong or Frankston host the newest V8 Supercars round. Hahaha.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Clipsal 500

#25 Post by ghs » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:12 am

Any comments / reviews on the event so far ?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Clipsal 500

#26 Post by Wayno » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm at the race today. General admission. Whole place is a dust bowl. Even rymill park is brown and uninviting. How do we convince the ACC to stop fu@&ing around and green the park lands. I mean the whole schmoigle - lawn coring, fertilising, watering, watering, watering, watering, mowing. Lush is the only worthwhile goal.

It's a disgrace.

[edit] raining. Not a dust bowl anymore...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:02 pm

So wet there right now :shock: :shock:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by Phantom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:24 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:So wet there right now :shock: :shock:
That's what she said.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:43 am

Wayno wrote:I'm at the race today. General admission. Whole place is a dust bowl. Even rymill park is brown and uninviting. How do we convince the ACC to stop fu@&ing around and green the park lands. I mean the whole schmoigle - lawn coring, fertilising, watering, watering, watering, watering, mowing. Lush is the only worthwhile goal.

It's a disgrace.

It wasn't too bad on Thursday, with most grass being green. I think the issue, particularly in the infield is the tree cover. The thick canopy blocks the light meaning the grass can't grow. Come Clipsal, and the place turns into the aforementioned dust bowl after a day. That's not to say that the trees should be removed, rather that the city council aren't entirely to blame.

I did notice that areas where the grass was a bit longer seemed to handle the foot traffic a bit better than the areas that had recently been mowed. Perhaps this could help reduce the dust?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#30 Post by rev » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Wayno wrote:I'm at the race today. General admission. Whole place is a dust bowl. Even rymill park is brown and uninviting. How do we convince the ACC to stop fu@&ing around and green the park lands. I mean the whole schmoigle - lawn coring, fertilising, watering, watering, watering, watering, mowing. Lush is the only worthwhile goal.

It's a disgrace.

Hi there, welcome to Summer in Adelaide.