[COM] Westfield West Lakes (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $95m

#226 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:47 am

The Target seems a good size - remember that Target store are smaller then Kmart or Big W stores. Its well laid out and seems what it is a mid-range department store between Kmart and Myer.
I thought they were going to have back entrances to the upstairs stores eg JB HiFi onto the new carpark?
The new mall is nice but doesn't blend in well into the HS to Woolworths mall

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: U/C: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $95m

#227 Post by Adeguy72 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:34 pm

pushbutton wrote:Well it's open and I've seen it. I am still amazed at how fast it all happened (once work finally started after God knows how many years of delays, as per usual). This time 12 months ago the site where the extension is was just a (free and easy to navigate) carpark. Now it's a mall!

Anyway I must say it's all quite stylish. Target is the most interesting bit because it's a radical departure from any other Target store I've ever seen. They have gone for a completely new style store, nothing at all like a traditional Target.

It is very open plan, and has a polished concrete floor, with pads and walkways defined mainly by black lines marked in the concrete. The walls are painted in pastel shades, mainly pink on the left hand side of the store (for ladieswear, with huge lettering on the walls saying "Hers"); and blue on the right hand side of the store (for menswear, with huge lettering on the walls saying "His"). There are several departments other than those, including toys, DVDs, Christmas, and kidswear. However they're all quite small compared to a traditional Target. In fact, the store as a whole appears a bit on the small side compared to a traditional Target.

It's not bad though, but in my view doesn't compare well to a Kmart or a Big W in terms of range of stock, or perception on pricing. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I guess if in 12 months or so they make drastic changes to it, that would indicate a failed experiment. If other stores become like it though, it must have worked.
I wonder if this was going to be one of their Target Urban stores?
They seem to have dropped thsi concept - I was at the Pasadena store a couple of weeks back & they have dropped the Urban name and rebranded it as just a normal Target.
Maybe the West Lakes fit out was too dar along to be changed, so they went with the new style store, without the Urban monoker?

JonHarker
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #COM: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $95m

#229 Post by JonHarker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:58 am

Any idea where the new Costco is going at West Lakes?

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#230 Post by Abwolf » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:27 pm

How big are they?

Former Go-Lo site is the only existing space anywhere near big enough for it.

Would be perfect fit for Best and Less, in my opinion.

(edit: having now just done my research, it seems any existing space is way too small for Costco)

metro
Legendary Member!

#231 Post by metro » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:55 pm

um Costco is not going to West lakes, it will be in Kilburn at the new Churchill Centre:

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/find ... laide.html

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#232 Post by pushbutton » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Abwolf wrote:How big are they?

Former Go-Lo site is the only existing space anywhere near big enough for it.

Would be perfect fit for Best and Less, in my opinion.

(edit: having now just done my research, it seems any existing space is way too small for Costco)
Costco is much bigger than the old Go-Lo site at West Lakes.

Also Costco rarely (if ever) open stores in malls. They build free-standing "Big Box" stores, similar in style and size to Bunnings Warehouse.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#233 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:00 am

The old go-lo could turn into an Aldi, probably on the small side though

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#234 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:31 am

House & Garden was a bit on the small side for a JB Hi-fi but they fixed that! I am pretty sure the former Go-Lo will indeed become an Aldi!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#235 Post by neoballmon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:36 am

Aldi aren't actually scheduled to have their distribution centre built until 2016, so if that's the case, this store will probably be empty for quite a while.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#236 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:48 am

Oh. I thought they might have been operational before then. That being the case who knows what this former Go-Lo might become then.

I just think it COULD potentially be a good enough location for a future Aldi (perhaps with some re-configuration around it).

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#237 Post by neoballmon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Who knows, we might get half a dozen stores before our DC is ready, and just get stock from a Victorian DC in the meantime, if they're really keen to get things going over here.

I'm pretty sure the former Sams Warehouse at Woodcroft is also earmarked for am Aldi, so that might be empty for a couple of years as well otherwise.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#238 Post by nath91 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm

I believe a Lowes (TBC) is set to go in part of the old Go Lo site. The tenancy itself would be way too small for an Aldi store plus there is no access to a loading dock so a new adjacent building would need to be built. This would require additional roodtop parking or a potential utilization of the ex-AAMI stadium site.

JonHarker
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#239 Post by JonHarker » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:21 am

Yep, Lowes sign has gone up in old Go-Lo

Any idea why the Crust pizza across the road at the Infinity building has not opened yet? It looks as though it been ready to go for about 3 months now...?

Not that we need another pizza place on the strip...

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#240 Post by nath91 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 am

San Churro Chocolateria will be opening in the vacant tenancy opposite Gloria Jeans before Christmas.