The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#436 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 am

So we have a battle to the bottom on pur hands.

Labor try to bring up Marschall past, which seems to get more traction that out was worth

Then the Libs dig up dirt on the ALP candidate for Labor.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#437 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:19 am

Doesn't take them long to rake in the muck. Does Marshal even have a past? He was a "businessman" until 2010. Then there's the radio ad backed by the Libs about the school child abuse claims.

So I take it we are all voting for the Greens this election?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

metro
Legendary Member!

#438 Post by metro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 pm

Waewick wrote:So we have a battle to the bottom on pur hands.

Labor try to bring up Marschall past, which seems to get more traction that out was worth

It's not as bad as the last state election where we had the convenient 'Chantelois Affair', also pretty dodgy how all news of the affair ended after the 2010 election was over. :roll:

Labor asking questions about Marshall's past is nothing like the filth the Libs dig up, the fact is Marshall is refusing to give any clear answers about some of his past businesses and then running away from the media is not a good look. And this first-term MP on L-Plates wants to be Premier? :lol:

Waewick

#439 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 pm

metro wrote:
Waewick wrote:So we have a battle to the bottom on pur hands.

It's not as bad as the last state election where we had the convenient 'Chantelois Affair', also pretty dodgy how all news of the affair ended after the 2010 election was over. :roll:

Labor asking questions about Marshall's past is nothing like the filth the Libs dig up, the fact is Marshall is refusing to give any clear answers about some of his past businesses and then running away from the media is not a good look. And this first-term MP on L-Plates wants to be Premier? :lol:
yeah that was ugly, especially when all it was about really was the guy who bought one was a shit businessman.

now we have Libs raising police assaults from 1983 and Labor raising DUI from the 2000's.

both equally as bad.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#440 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Waewick wrote:...both equally as bad.
So you're voting Green then?

Waewick

#441 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:32 pm

monotonehell wrote:
not in my life time no.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#442 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Waewick wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
not in my life time no.
Why not? The two normal options are both hopelessly corrupt ideologues. The Greens are into evidence based policy making and rationalism. Seems like a sane choice these days.

Aidan

#443 Post by Aidan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Waewick wrote:
Aidan wrote:
When the private sector spends less, the government has to spend more to keep us out of recession. And when the government spends more, business confidence returns. Why is that so hard to understand?
Aidan I think we all get the point, you love your theoretical economics.
If that's what you think my point is then you don't get it at all. It's not about me.

Many of the public (including you) base their opinions on discredited economic theory.
Most of our politicians base their decisions on discredited economic theory.
And the economy suffers badly as a result.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#444 Post by jk1237 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:12 pm

I almost vomited when I read this weeks City Messenger, at the fact that the Liberals are complaining over the upgrade of the city council/99C connector bus. This bus has been upgraded from an hourly mini bus, to a 15 min normal Adelaide metro bus in the city, and every half hour through North Adelaide. Aparently the Liberals have had 20 complaints, yes 20, that there has been a loss of about 5 carparks throughout the city because of the upgraded stops. I use this bus fairly regularly now, being the fact its quite regular, I hardly used it before. Its a huge improvement.

I can't find the words as to how repulsive I find this Liberal Party nowadays. You are truly pathetic, you have no desire to improve our city, all you care about is your senile, redneck suburban petrol loving voting base, and the hell with every urban planning expert, that is calling for lower car dependency. And to think I come from a pro Liberal family, Im just embarrased :roll:

PS Liberals, will you be protesting against the opening of the Torrens footbridge tomorrow. Would love to see you there, I wont push you into the Torrens, promise :?

Thankfully, we have had some pretty important investments in public transport and increasing cycling over the past 5 years, caus this development is going to end unfortunately after this election. For our city's sake, I hope Im wrong

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#445 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:54 pm

jk1237 wrote:I almost vomited when I read this weeks City Messenger, at the fact that the Liberals are complaining over the upgrade of the city council/99C connector bus. This bus has been upgraded from an hourly mini bus, to a 15 min normal Adelaide metro bus in the city, and every half hour through North Adelaide. Aparently the Liberals have had 20 complaints, yes 20, that there has been a loss of about 5 carparks throughout the city because of the upgraded stops. I use this bus fairly regularly now, being the fact its quite regular, I hardly used it before. Its a huge improvement.

I can't find the words as to how repulsive I find this Liberal Party nowadays. You are truly pathetic, you have no desire to improve our city, all you care about is your senile, redneck suburban petrol loving voting base, and the hell with every urban planning expert, that is calling for lower car dependency. And to think I come from a pro Liberal family, Im just embarrased :roll:

PS Liberals, will you be protesting against the opening of the Torrens footbridge tomorrow. Would love to see you there, I wont push you into the Torrens, promise :?

Thankfully, we have had some pretty important investments in public transport and increasing cycling over the past 5 years, caus this development is going to end unfortunately after this election. For our city's sake, I hope Im wrong
I agree, everything that Rachel Sanderson pushes through my letterbox is focused on first world problems. Oh boo hoo we lost an on street carpark, oh woe is us! Everything on her latest mass mailing is council business, not MP business. She's in the wrong chamber, she should stand for council if she wants to be involved in carparks, local bus loops, voices on development, safety lighting and CCTV, improving city vibrancy, access to Rundle Mall on public holidays, and council rate rises.

If this is all she has been doing as my local member, then she is a waste of space.

Aidan

#446 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Even so, the loss of the City Loop bus is very annoying. How much longer will it be before we can have bus routes upgraded without wrecking other routes?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#447 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Aidan wrote:Even so, the loss of the City Loop bus is very annoying. How much longer will it be before we can have bus routes upgraded without wrecking other routes?
We didn't lose anything. The council was running a largely redundant service. We now have a more frequent 99A, 99C, 98A and 98C services.

Waewick

#448 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:09 pm

I live in the 1st world, why wouldn't we discuss issues that relate to it?

Aidan

#449 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Aidan wrote:Even so, the loss of the City Loop bus is very annoying. How much longer will it be before we can have bus routes upgraded without wrecking other routes?
We didn't lose anything. The council was running a largely redundant service. We now have a more frequent 99A, 99C, 98A and 98C services.
How can you seriously claim we didn't lose anything? Before the change, City Loop buses ran to the train station every 20 minutes (and a few years before that, every 15 minutes). Now they don't run to the train station at all.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#450 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Aidan wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
How can you seriously claim we didn't lose anything? Before the change, City Loop buses ran to the train station every 20 minutes (and a few years before that, every 15 minutes). Now they don't run to the train station at all.
The tram took over that stretch of the 99's route. If and when the tram is extended it will replace the other parts of this bus route. Until then it's a 200m walk to the nearest stop or catch the tram.
Waewick wrote:I live in the 1st world, why wouldn't we discuss issues that relate to it?
Waewick, I used the term in the sense that these are the minor grumbles of a few self interested people, that are best addressed at a council level. An MP's purview should be more state level than street level. Unless there's some kind of systemic issue with council.

The Liberal's current campaign is making big promises (with no details about how they intend to fix these things) regarding taxes, jobs, the cost of living, and so on.

In fact this is all in the letter I was talking about above...

The introductory paragraphs talk about the State debt:
I believe our State deserves better than record debt approaching $14 BILLION and a record deficit of $1015 MILLION this year. (capitalisation hers)

Because of Labor, South Australians will be paying $1 billion a year in interest from 2016-17.

South Australian families and businesses are suffering under the pressure of the nation's highest taxes, highest utility prices, falling business confidence and rising unemployment under the watch of the Weatherill Labor Government.

The reality is, for the last 12 years, the Weatherill Government has over-spruiked, under-delivered and mismanaged the State's finances.

South Australians need and deserve a government that sticks to the budget and lives within its means. South Australian families and businesses do this every week. With our Plan, the State's finances will return to good health and public faith in government will be restored.
Leaving aside that Weatherill hasn't been in charge of the Government for 12 years, as I can accept that they are largely the same government and the buck stops there. Leaving aside their coy misuse of the general public's misunderstanding of the difference between a household or business budget and a government budget... This "Plan" must be pretty good, especially since she's capitalised it. Let's read about this "Plan" and what Rachel has been doing then...
Locally I have been your voice calling on Council and the Government to:
* Ensure you have a voice on appropriate development
* Review the changes to the City Connector Bus and public transport waiting times
* Improve safety and lighting, installation of CCTV and investigate parking concerns
* Improve city vibrancy and access to Rundle Mall on public holidays
* Ensure Council rate rises are kept in line with inflation
Okay maybe the "Plan" is on their election website, as it's not even hinted at other than by name in this letter. I looked at their website. No Plan.

Do you see the disconnect I was talking about above now?