[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Archer
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

#481 Post by Archer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22 pm

All Part of the "Intelligent Traffic System" they are putting in, apparently it will be able to do/monitor all sorts of things. Combined with camera's along the route and the turning on of Number plate recognition at some point, it will be able to ping you for speeding and automatically issue your infringement notice..... or so I've heard.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#482 Post by Archer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Just Received Notices from the Project advising delays to the completion of bridge works at Flaxmill and Honey Pot Roads.

Flaxmill Road now scheduled to reopen in late March 2014

Honeypot Road now scheduled to reopen in early May 2014.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#483 Post by neoballmon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Honeypot's closure doesn't even bother me anymore, even though I used to use it quite regularly. I've basically forgotten it's there, and I'm so used to going to Glynville/Majorca/Beach Roads now.

On DPTI's FB page, a time lapse video of the Smith Creek bridge has been uploaded.

Sorry, can't seem to link it to show in here..

http://youtu.be/UXYxgLJ77dE
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

jclark22
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#484 Post by jclark22 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:55 pm

They have finally started major resurfacing of the southbound lanes. It has been really annoying with it being corrigated ready for before the heatwave but only now did they loosen the surface. They have started to re tar the emergancy stopping lane and it appears they have re-alligned the bend coming down the hill.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#485 Post by spiller » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm curious to know, I live off Henley Beach not too far from the termination of Marion Road, and I commute to Christies Beach for work twice per week. My usual route is tapley's hill road onto Brighton Road onto Lonsdale Highway. I used to take Marion Road and get onto South Road and then onto Lonsdale Hwy via Majors road but Marion road is slow and horrible so I stopped using it. Brighton Road is becoming that way now too. I'm wondering how much quicker it will be taking Marion to the Southern Expy and getting off at beach road. Probably no more than 5 minutes saved as opposed to taking Lonsdale Hwy?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#486 Post by neoballmon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 am

Depends what time of the day you're doing this really, I find that Marion/Anzac-Cross Roads is absolute torture and try to avoid this at all costs during the peaks. But once you get past this, I find that route to be quite good, especially once the Expressway is back to 100 later this year, I think it will definitely show significant savings (although having said that, the increase in traffic on Brighton Road is probably due to people avoiding the expressway, so that will probably reduce once the expressway opens up again)

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#487 Post by Rene » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:38 am

So Flaxmill Road is set to reopen sometime this afternoon. I noticed the rebuilt bridge is still a bit of a chicane between Sunningdale Drive and Brodie Road. They missed a good opportunity to widen that section of road to match the rest :wallbash:

When will these so called road design people ever learn??? Beach Road is another of example of poor design :shock:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#488 Post by neoballmon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Rene wrote:So Flaxmill Road is set to reopen sometime this afternoon. I noticed the rebuilt bridge is still a bit of a chicane between Sunningdale Drive and Brodie Road. They missed a good opportunity to widen that section of road to match the rest :wallbash:
This would mean they actually had to widen/duplicate the old bridge as well, much more costly, and not worth the cost for a road like Flaxmill (which while I'm appreciative that it is, I could never understand why it was 2 lanes each way, with exception to this crossing). It could have been done similarly to Beach Road was though if they wanted to (but obviously less complex as there are no interchanges).

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#489 Post by Rene » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:22 pm

neoballmon wrote:It could have been done similarly to Beach Road
Do you consider Beach Road to be a model for good road design that aids free flowing traffic? :roll: To some degree, Flaxmill Road is what Beach Road could/should be.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#490 Post by neoballmon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:45 am

Rene wrote:
neoballmon wrote:It could have been done similarly to Beach Road
Do you consider Beach Road to be a model for good road design that aids free flowing traffic? :roll: To some degree, Flaxmill Road is what Beach Road could/should be.
I was simply referring to the bridge building, if Flaxmill was widened they would have had to do it the same way they widened Beach Road.

I have no thoughts along those lines whatsoever. Beach Road has always been a nightmare of a road and I think with this induced traffic once the expressway opens completely will just make it so much worse. Granted they've widened it AT the expressway. But it goes back to one lame after Majorca Road, and after Goldsmith Road.

The entire corridor of Doctors and Beach Road (up to Dyson Road) is wide enough to be duplicated without land acquisition, and the only slight challenge they'd face is having to duplicate the bridge over the railway. I agree completely that Beach should be like Flaxmill, but I just can't see that happening anytime soon.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#491 Post by 85trainfan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:45 pm

neoballmon wrote:
I was simply referring to the bridge building, if Flaxmill was widened they would have had to do it the same way they widened Beach Road.

I have no thoughts along those lines whatsoever. Beach Road has always been a nightmare of a road and I think with this induced traffic once the expressway opens completely will just make it so much worse. Granted they've widened it AT the expressway. But it goes back to one lame after Majorca Road, and after Goldsmith Road.

The entire corridor of Doctors and Beach Road (up to Dyson Road) is wide enough to be duplicated without land acquisition, and the only slight challenge they'd face is having to duplicate the bridge over the railway. I agree completely that Beach should be like Flaxmill, but I just can't see that happening anytime soon.
Flaxmill Rd ( if it was widened with the current works)could have been completed with no closure at all. Build a new bridge for the Northern side, open with 1 lane each way, then fix the Southern side. once complete, open both sides with their dedicated direction.
This was done down on Seaford rd, so it shouldn't have been that hard.

As for Beach Rd, well, we will need an entire thread for that! .All I will say is it should have been done years ago!

On a side note, Two heavy lift cranes were setting up adjacent the new Reynella on ramp bridge this morning. I'm assuming the final spans were lifted into place today.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#492 Post by neoballmon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:49 pm

Variable message signs in the Hackham area are stating that Honeypot Road will be opening next Friday, thr 9th of May. I didn't see a time indicated.
This will end the series of road bridge closures, only leaving Sugarbush Path (between Moore and Sherriffs Roads) as far as I could see when going along the road tonight.

Beach Road seems to be nearing the end of its works as well. The majority of the area has had it's bitumen placed, and I noticed tonight the posts for the traffic lights at the northbound exit are in as well (which they weren't yesterday)

A safety barrier has also been placed right next to the edge of the street between Morton Road and Goldsmith Drive, presumably for the new overhead gantry, but it's closeness to the road really ruins any hope for Beach Road to be widened in this section in the future..

astromick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#493 Post by astromick » Mon May 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi all,
just registered ....interested of the expressway project.

Is there a chance for a sceduled finished, what you guys think...June perhaps? Anyone has any 'inside' knowledge?

Cheers,
Mick

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#494 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Mon May 05, 2014 5:03 pm

From https://www.facebook.com/DPTISA
Honeypot Road bridge over the Southern Expressway will reopen to the public early afternoon on Friday, 9 May 2014.

The bridge has been closed for extension works on the new duplicated Southern Expressway.

The reopening will mark the completion of all cross bridge extension/duplication works for the project and is a major milestone.

More than 3700 cubic square metres of concrete and 680 tonnes of steel reinforcement has gone into these bridge works.

The $407.5 million duplication of the Southern Expressway is a key part of the development of Adelaide’s north-south corridor and will deliver an 18.5 kilometre multi-lane, two-way expressway between Bedford Park and Old Noarlunga by mid 2014.

The Southern Expressway Duplication remains on track to meet the scheduled mid-year completion.

We would like to thank the local community for their patience during these critical works.

For more information visit http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/southern_expr ... uplication or call
the project team on 1300 626 097.

#DPTIProjects

astromick
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#495 Post by astromick » Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks for that :)

so, if I understand correctly it will be finish on time :applause:

Mick