News & Discussion: Road Rules

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Common sense on the roads of Adelaide

#91 Post by rhino » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Hooligan wrote:Huh? The law is to keep left unless overtaking.
Actually, I believe that does not come into effect unless the speed limit is over 80km/h. If it's 80km/h or less, you are allowed to drive in both lanes, next to each other (assuming a 4-lane road).

I don't condone this, I just believe that is how the rules read.
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Common sense on the roads of Adelaide

#92 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:15 am

It is enforced when the speed limit is 80km/h or more.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#93 Post by rev » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:25 pm

Keep left unless overtaking is the rule when you are in a zone that is 80km/h or greater.
It doesn't apply elsewhere. The signs make it blatantly obvious, but try driving along the south eastern freeway...people are just f'ing retarded.

Speaking of "common sense"...the other morning I was driving along Hanson rd, and literally 50m ahead of me, an L plater in a car with an instructor(instructors car), pulls out, not in the left lane which was clear, but in the right lane which I was in. And then proceeds to take her time accelerating.
Never mind that this was an L plater, this is a problem I've noticed lately that is becoming all too common. If you want to be a dick head and pull into oncoming traffic from a sidestreet when it's not safe, at the very least pull in to the lane that you have the most time in...

And what the hell was the instructor doing?
Needless to say I don't think she will be doing it again after I yelled something about Mumbai at her..*hint

I'm seriously considering buying one of those in-car cameras and filming some of these dumb asses and making them youtube celebrities.

Waewick

#94 Post by Waewick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 am

I have noticed that too

It is more annoying when you are the only car on the road, instead of just waiting 5 seconds to let you pass they pull out and hold you up.

I figure it reflects how selfish people are becoming - it is the same as those twits who block traffic trying to get across an intersection when the other side is clearly full.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by mshagg » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 am

Waewick wrote: it is the same as those twits who block traffic trying to get across an intersection when the other side is clearly full.
I was going to mention this one. I only have to walk to work (thankfully!) but I've noticed a LOT more people 'blocking the box' in the CBD over the past year or so. When this happens on something like King William St, the flow on effects of one selfish moron can be quite significant.

re: keeping left unless overtaking, it's a good idea even when you're not required to. With 3 lane freeways, you're allowed to drive in the middle lane but that doesnt make it a good idea. People often demand higher speed limits on our freeways but with such shocking highway driving discipline, they certaily dont deserve it!

metro
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by metro » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm

i've had enough of the Victorians who dont know where they are driving :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#97 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Metro, may ask why do you hate Victoria so much?. I've noticed many of posts on here and SSC regarding Melbourne or Victoria are always negative.

#justsaying

questionable
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#98 Post by questionable » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm

rev wrote:Speaking of "common sense"...the other morning I was driving along Hanson rd, and literally 50m ahead of me, an L plater in a car with an instructor(instructors car), pulls out, not in the left lane which was clear, but in the right lane which I was in. And then proceeds to take her time accelerating.
Never mind that this was an L plater, this is a problem I've noticed lately that is becoming all too common. If you want to be a dick head and pull into oncoming traffic from a sidestreet when it's not safe, at the very least pull in to the lane that you have the most time in...

And what the hell was the instructor doing?
Needless to say I don't think she will be doing it again after I yelled something about Mumbai at her..*hint
so you're saying you racially abused a young girl on her L-plates who made a minor mistake?

way to go, hero

rev

#99 Post by rev » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:32 pm

Wow, did you register a new account just to call me a hero? I feel honored :lol:

Who said she was a young girl?
L plates do not automatically mean 16 years old behind the wheel.

Yes, a "minor" mistake which could have resulted in an accident and with my face disfigured, with my ribs broken, etc.
Do you even understand how little room 50m is to react at 60kmh, on a wet road? Luckily I pay attention to the road when I drive unlike some people, especially new arrivals.

What do you view as racial abuse? I purposely didn't post what I said exactly, only giving a hint, to see if I would get a rise out of someone...I didn't expect someone would actually create a new account just to call me a hero..lol
This is what I said to her..
I told her this isn't f****** Mumbai where you drive how the f*** you want, we have f****** road rules that we f******* follow.

Where is the racism? It's simply stating a fact.

Here's a random image of traffic in Mumbai....tell me, how many lanes are there meant to be in this photo? Because to me it looks like a free for all.

F**k oath I'm a hero. Glad you are aware. Now go learn our road rules and stop being an ignorant dangerous driver.
As an educated driver who isn't ignorant and knows how to drive his vehicle, I expect at the very least that others on the road around me will at the very least do the right thing.
You may not know all the road rules, but at the very least drive your fu**ing car in a manner which does not endanger my life or anyone elses.

I've seen Aussies do the same thing I described in my other post about that lady L plater from India. And they've copped plenty of abuse too.
But the difference is that ignorance on the roads is more common amongst new arrivals. These incidents happen more often with new arrivals then with locals.

And this isn't about their ethnicity or religion. It could be French or British drivers, and I'd be saying the same things about them.
Do you want to hear my views on pensioners and driving?

Call me a racist if you want. I'd be fine with you calling me a neo nazi too. It says more about you playing the "hes a racist" card without even knowing the facts, then my abuse directed at some random idiot on the road does about me. :cheers:

ps, I think Coles is having a special on Kleenex tissues this week.

[Shuz]

#100 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Waiting for rev to banned for the following reason.

Racial views incompatible with this website.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#101 Post by rev » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 pm

What's incompatible with the site and my views on bad drivers?
Don't you have another fake article to write up and get attention for your self? :roll:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#102 Post by Will » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Waiting for rev to banned for the following reason.

Racial views incompatible with this website.
Shuz, rev hasn't made a racist comment. Saying the traffic in Mumbai is horrible is not racist.

The comments you made to get banned a few years ago were very different.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#103 Post by AG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Settle now, children. Go get some milk, or a beer, or water...

Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Road Rules

#104 Post by Vee » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:11 am

Road rules change.
Bike lanes get criticized, modified etc. Dedicated bikeways and separation are best for cyclist safety but most bike lanes operate under 'Share the Road' rules.

The majority of our road rules and signage are relatively consistent across Australia, with a few quirks and exceptions (eg school crossings and passing workers on roadside construction/repair).

This new road rule has just been enacted in Queensland, in the interests of cyclist safety.
Motorists must maintain a 1 metre distance (or 1.5 metre at higher speeds) separation between their car and a cyclist or cyclists. Cars might brake/slow down, shift lanes or cross into oncoming traffic lanes (double lines?).

Check out the video.

http://youtu.be/Gnfb44Tj0co
I understand the safety thinking behind the move for vulnerable cyclists on the road, but think this new Qld road rule could cause more problems than it hopes to solve.
Thoughts?

Edit.
Extra info from Qld Govt.
http://qld.gov.au/transport/news/featur ... index.html

and Bicycle Qld.
http://www.bq.org.au/news/rule-changes-from-7-april/
Last edited by Vee on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan

Re: News & Discussion: Road Rules

#105 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 am

Didn't watch the video because it isn't appearing for me, but any problems that it might cause are all issues with drivers. If a driver has to cross across double lines into oncoming traffic, then they're not passing safely. Instead, they should be slowing down and passing when safe (and legal) to do so, just like passing a slow moving or parked vehicle, horses, any other road hazard, etc.