'Small Venue Licenced' venue reviews

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

'Small Venue Licenced' venue reviews

#1 Post by monotonehell » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:52 pm

If you remember way back in 2011 "the Premier announced plans to transform the little-used laneways of Adelaide’s CBD into vibrant spaces that attract people to the heart of the city. In his announcement the Premier identified changes to liquor licensing laws as one of the key areas for action ... New laws to instigate a small venue culture in Adelaide were introduced to Parliament on 28 November 2012. The new class of liquor license became active on 26 April 2013."
http://www.agd.sa.gov.au/newsroom/new-i ... or-licence

So what has become of this move? There's something like 70 applications currently in process (many will be temporary for the festival period) and several have already been awarded. Adelaide has seen many small bars open in recent months, many in laneways helping to revitalise those little used spaces.

If you've been to any of the new bars feel free to add a review, or discuss what effects you think have come of this new arrangement.

---

First an odd one, while most of the bars are going for high end cocktails, and exotic foodie foods, the reopening of The Coffee Pot offers nostalgia for some, a chance to see the past with a drink for all...

---

I finally managed to get into the former "Coffee Pot" on James Place, even though it's been around 6 months since we first saw the application.
Ben wrote:
Type: Application Assessed on Merit
Application Number: DA/595/2013
Lodgement Date: 29/07/2013
Description: Change the use from cafe to small bar venue.
Applicant Name: THREE LITTLE OLD LADIES
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle ... 6689471235

Waves of nostalgia immediately hit me as I entered the venue, back in the late 1990s I frequented the place before it closed in 2000. Little has changed, it has been cleaned up and repairs made. Some of the original signage, like the faded food menu, are still up on the wall. Originally the place served coffee and food, and was a newspaper reading room. Now old newspapers from the 1990s have been found and placed around. I think I even saw one from the 1970s? The operators turn out to be not "Three little old ladies" at all but Cassandra Tombs and Bryan Lynagh who also has a hand in Tuxedo Cat. (Tuxedo Cat will be opening again this year for the Festival period in a venue near the corner of Pirie and Hyde Streets.)

The theme Bryan and Cassandra are trying to project is of a speakeasy. To that end they have their drinks menu 'hidden' pasted to a page inside old hardback books. They were trying to make some fun with a sense of discovery, but a lot of people were coming in expecting a coffee. Bryan's been putting a sandwich board advertising that it's a bar more recently. ;)

Their drinks are not the high end mixed cocktails you are seeing in other bars, they have a nice assortment of beer, cider, wine and spirits. - But no coffee in sight. The closest thing to a coffee would be a shot of Patron XO Cafe (a wonderful coffee and tequila liqueur). They also have a few food offerings for those who need a nibble. It's such a nice atmosphere, the (now) quaint furnishings are quiet a nice change from all the high end, designer built, wanky cocktail we have about now (which I also enjoy :D ).

Drop in for a drink sometime and hang out near the windows for a bird's eye view of the Mall.

Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: 'Small Venue Licenced' venue reviews

#2 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 pm

I missed this, thanks for the heads up

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Nort » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Wow, those photos make it look like a really fun space, will definitely have to check it out!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 pm

An application for a small licenced venue has been submitted to the ACC for the premises at 27 Field Street. Expected value $100 000.

Another application has been lodged for the rear of 27-29 Whitmore Square.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:30 pm

If you're interested in a no nonsense bar that's about the consumption of nice things without all that strawberries, creme and chocolate thing*, then check out Baddog Bar, 63 Hyde Street.

The entrance is small, walk quickly and you might miss it. It's inbetween Five Star Bakery and Seoul Restaurant. Look for "beware of the dog" on the tiles outside and if the light is on, push on the left hand side of the big piece of wood (it's called a door).

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.926 ... 312!8i6656

It's a blues speakeasy style bar, understated jarrah and leather fittings, with a very nice selection of spirits from all over the World. A large range of whiskies (Scotch, Japanese, Bourbons, Ryes, and american whiskies) and gins, and a good selection of other spirits and craft beers.

The bartenders know their trade, there's no menu, just point at a bottle and name your poison, or ask for a suggestion.

Tell them mono sent you, and they'll say "who the heck is mono?"

So many spirits, so little liver.

* Not that there's anything wrong with that. I quite like "girly cocktails" from time to time.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.