Adelaide in Lonely Planet's Top 10 for 2014

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide in Lonely Planet's Top 10 for 2014

#61 Post by Will » Thu May 08, 2014 7:45 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Vee wrote:
Overall, Adelaide was described as arty, quirky, cultural, intriguing and as a place that offers fine-dining.
I agree that Adelaide is all those things.

My problem with it is that they shouldn't be using these as selling points to try to attract tourists. Almost every city in the world offers these things.

I cringe whenever I see things in the media about "showcasing Adelaides food". Again, every city has fine food! There needs to be something unique, special, fun, and / or exciting to attract people to come and live or visit Adelaide. History is another legitimate tourism drawcard too, but Adelaide's only a couple of hundred years old so we can't rely on that.
Wow. To suggest that the quality of our produce, food and wines is not a selling point has left be flabbergasted. The quality, value for money and ease of access that Adelaide offers to visitors wishing to pursue a gourmet food and wine experience is unparalleled in Australia.

I cringe when I read your comments sometimes, and the above is a shocker.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by dsriggs » Sat May 10, 2014 11:14 am

Will wrote:
pushbutton wrote: I agree that Adelaide is all those things.

My problem with it is that they shouldn't be using these as selling points to try to attract tourists. Almost every city in the world offers these things.

I cringe whenever I see things in the media about "showcasing Adelaides food". Again, every city has fine food! There needs to be something unique, special, fun, and / or exciting to attract people to come and live or visit Adelaide. History is another legitimate tourism drawcard too, but Adelaide's only a couple of hundred years old so we can't rely on that.
Wow. To suggest that the quality of our produce, food and wines is not a selling point has left be flabbergasted. The quality, value for money and ease of access that Adelaide offers to visitors wishing to pursue a gourmet food and wine experience is unparalleled in Australia.

It may be a selling point to food & wine buffs, but for the average traveller every city has "good" restaurants & you can get good wine anywhere, regardless of where it comes from. We've been promoting Adelaide as the Food & Wine capital for a couple of decades now & it just doesn't work as a major tourism drawcard.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by Will » Sat May 10, 2014 11:48 am

dsriggs wrote:[
It may be a selling point to food & wine buffs, but for the average traveller every city has "good" restaurants & you can get good wine anywhere, regardless of where it comes from. We've been promoting Adelaide as the Food & Wine capital for a couple of decades now & it just doesn't work as a major tourism drawcard.
Unfortunately we cannot be all things to all people.

We need to rely on our strengths when promoting ourselves. And food, produce, wine, arts, festivals are our strengths.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by SRW » Sun May 11, 2014 12:53 am

dsriggs wrote:
Will wrote:

I think there's valuable point of difference that's being missed. That point being that, while every city worth its salt has fine dining, Adelaide/SA is actually connected to the production of the quality food and wine that make such experiences. Not every city/state can claim this.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Aidan » Sun May 11, 2014 2:23 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Vee wrote:
Overall, Adelaide was described as arty, quirky, cultural, intriguing and as a place that offers fine-dining.
I agree that Adelaide is all those things.

I cringe whenever I see things in the media about "showcasing Adelaides food". Again, every city has fine food!
Does Gold Coast?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#66 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 11, 2014 9:59 pm

I cringe whenever I see things in the media about "showcasing Adelaides food". Again, every city has fine food!
Does Gold Coast?[/quote]

Strangely enough you can get great food in the Gold Coast, just like anywhere else!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by crawf » Mon May 12, 2014 3:02 pm

pushbutton wrote: Strangely enough you can get great food in the Gold Coast, just like anywhere else!
My partner and I couldn't find one decent restaurant or eatery when we went there for holidays last year. Every place was overpriced, average or just simply horrible.

After a week we got sick of wasting our money, we opted for take away.

Adelaide wins hands down in the food department, and it should definitely be showcased.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Will » Mon May 12, 2014 7:48 pm

crawf wrote:
pushbutton wrote: Strangely enough you can get great food in the Gold Coast, just like anywhere else!
My partner and I couldn't find one decent restaurant or eatery when we went there for holidays last year. Every place was overpriced, average or just simply horrible.

Funny you mention that. I simply just got sick.....

ml69
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by ml69 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:22 pm

crawf wrote:

Adelaide wins hands down in the food department, and it should definitely be showcased.
I've had similar dining experiences in the Gold Coast. One trip we got fed up eating at average restaurants that we went to Coffee Club on Cavill Mall for our last 3 dinners because the food quality is at least pretty reasonable and consistent.