[COM] Brickworks Redevelopment | $70m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #SWP: Brickworks Redevelopment | $70m

#136 Post by neoballmon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 am

how good is he wrote:I am disappointed the BBQ galore site looks like it's staying untouched with such a wide frontage to South Rd it diminishes the value to the new complex....hopefully part of the highways dept South road widening plans?
I'm pretty sure I saw this shop demolished last time I went down the road. It was night time so I may be mistaken, and given it's in these plans, I would say the demolition was unrelated to the new centre (independent choice to move, closing down or for Torrens-Torrens
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#137 Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:21 am

neoballmon wrote:
how good is he wrote:I am disappointed the BBQ galore site looks like it's staying untouched with such a wide frontage to South Rd it diminishes the value to the new complex....hopefully part of the highways dept South road widening plans?
I'm pretty sure I saw this shop demolished last time I went down the road. It was night time so I may be mistaken, and given it's in these plans, I would say the demolition was unrelated to the new centre (independent choice to move, closing down or for Torrens-Torrens
When did you last go down the road? Demolition seems unlikely, as it was open a fortnight ago (they don't usually move that fast) and I'd expect the buildings to stay up even if it did choose to move.

It's not part of the Torrens-Torrens plans (even though they do extend south of the Torrens) but remember those plans are only intended as an interim solution. DPTI want to build a freeway.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#138 Post by neoballmon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Aidan wrote:It's not part of the Torrens-Torrens plans (even though they do extend south of the Torrens) but remember those plans are only intended as an interim solution. DPTI want to build a freeway.
It would have been a couple of weeks ago now I think. Like I said, it was dark, I must have misinterpreted how it looked at night as slightly more demolished looking.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#139 Post by spiller » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 pm

I originally called it BBQ's Galore but its actually called Bonza BBQ. It is still standing and open for business. In the sketch of the plan it remains, so it looks like its here to stay :(

Can anyone tell me if they are filling in the old clay pit to bring the complex back to street level?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#140 Post by pushbutton » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:58 pm

Am I right in thinking the old clay pit was where the Brickworks carpark was?

Aidan

#141 Post by Aidan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:25 pm

pushbutton wrote:Am I right in thinking the old clay pit was where the Brickworks carpark was?
Yes, and AIUI they plan to fill it in to bring it up to Brickworks floor level, but not all the way up to street level.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#142 Post by pushbutton » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks. I always wondered why the site was so uneven. Now I know! It did make it interesting though, if not exactly friendly to those with mobility issues.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#143 Post by baytram366 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Nothing seems to have been mentioned yet as to what is actually going to happen to the kilm and the "existing building" shown on the plans. What is going to happen with these structures? Hopefully the kilm is used for something special and not just locked up and given an exterior spruce up
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

The Scooter Guy

#144 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:39 pm

baytram366 wrote:Nothing seems to have been mentioned yet as to what is actually going to happen to the kilm and the "existing building" shown on the plans. What is going to happen with these structures? Hopefully the kilm is used for something special and not just locked up and given an exterior spruce up
I do like your photos from 2 years ago! Still doing what you can to ensure that Adelaide's memories are not lost forever to history!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#145 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 25, 2014 6:54 pm

I went past the other day and was amazed how fast they've demolished everything. As far as I could tell there is absolutely nothing left of the Brickworks now besides the kiln, which has a for sale sign outside it (being sold as a completely separate property than the rest of the site).

All the buildings = gone
Go Kart track = gone
Mini golf course = gone
Playground = gone
Plaza = gone
Bumper boat lake = gone
the steps and the paths and the maze of gates and fences = gone (except a few perimeter bits)

Thought it would take much longer!

ChillyPhilly

#146 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun May 25, 2014 8:19 pm

pushbutton wrote:I went past the other day and was amazed how fast they've demolished everything. As far as I could tell there is absolutely nothing left of the Brickworks now besides the kiln, which has a for sale sign outside it (being sold as a completely separate property than the rest of the site).

All the buildings = gone
Go Kart track = gone
Mini golf course = gone
Playground = gone
Plaza = gone
Bumper boat lake = gone
the steps and the paths and the maze of gates and fences = gone (except a few perimeter bits)

Thought it would take much longer!
Nothing gets in the way of big business and its interests.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#147 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Nothing gets in the way of big business and its interests.
Well it was all very run down. I wouldn't mind at all that they were demolishing it IF they were about to start building something better in its place.

Sadly all they're gonna build is yet another small generic shopping centre. Oh well. Too late to change that now. I'd like to think other councils could learn something from it, but that's probably just my imagination running out of control!

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#148 Post by how good is he » Sun May 25, 2014 9:56 pm

While I agree it would be nice to see something different and it's another generic shopping centre going up....the reality is no one else wanted/could afford to buy/develop it....it was available for years and no better proposal ever came...i don't see how the council can learn anything from this? What could they do? Spend say millions of dollars of ratepayers money on what exactly? Can you imagine the howls of protest if they did & then it became a white elephant?
I am interested to see what becomes of the land for sale next door with the heritage kiln etc...probably housing or mixed use residential...push button I am curious as what exactly would you suggest working/being commercially feasible here?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#149 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 25, 2014 10:16 pm

how good is he wrote:While I agree it would be nice to see something different and it's another generic shopping centre going up....the reality is no one else wanted/could afford to buy/develop it....it was available for years and no better proposal ever came...i don't see how the council can learn anything from this? What could they do? Spend say millions of dollars of ratepayers money on what exactly? Can you imagine the howls of protest if they did & then it became a white elephant?
I am interested to see what becomes of the land for sale next door with the heritage kiln etc...probably housing or mixed use residential...push button I am curious as what exactly would you suggest working/being commercially feasible here?
I didn't realise it had been for sale for so long. That being the case, I take back what I said and admit that yes, it's better that Woolworths build a shopping centre than it just gets even more run down.

I certainly would not have expected the council to spend ratepayers money building something there.

I remain hopeful that sooner or later someone will build a genuine family attraction in Adelaide that's exciting and fun for both locals and tourists of all ages. Not quite sure exactly what I would have liked to see at the brickworks along those lines, but I could easily think of many possibilities and I do think it would have been an excellent location for such, being so close to the city and so easily accessible, with the added attraction of the heritage kiln, which could have been the main feature.

Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking some sort of chocolate factory tour attraction. Not an actual working chocolate factory, but something along the lines of Willy Wonkas factory. Nestle own the right to make Wonka chocolate, so could have been interested in building and running this. The kiln and the chimney could have been utilised and made central features.

That's merely one quick idea off the top of my head.

Given that there was until recently at least some sort of fun to be had there (albeit run down), it would have been nice for what replaced it to at least incorporate a bit of fun too (or even a lot). But again though, if it was up for sale for a considerable time and nobody wanted it (which I didn't know) then well, what will be will be.

....oh, and please everyone, if you don't want Adelaide to have anything fun for people to enjoy then you're entitled to your opinion. However please don't attack me for mine.

Waewick

#150 Post by Waewick » Mon May 26, 2014 11:31 pm

The problem is that kind of fun costs money.

And people like to complain, so the cost will always be the problem. Our state just isn't affluent enough and doesnt have the corporate support to provide large scale entertainment areas.