The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#586 Post by rhino » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Dog wrote:Ian Evans announces his retirement from Sate politics within the next 12 months.
full story
http://ab.co/1i7wGOV
Interesting that he is 55 years old, and says he has been involved in politics for 46 years ...
cheers,
Rhino

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#587 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Apart from stretching the truth, the fact that '46 years' matters to Evans indicates the dynastic, entitlement sort of thinking that has done so much damage to the SA Liberal Party. Who cares how many generations of Evans or Chapmans have sat in parliament?

What matters is what they've done, and whether they're doing enough to hold their seat when there is plenty of talent to choose from - or there would be if any winnable seats were more often available.

I reckon two terms is enough. I'd risk losing further terms from some superman or woman in order to keep the blood flowing through parliament, and to avoid the formation of entrenched, 'by right' dynasties monopolising safe seats.

Sitting in parliament representing an electorate should not be a career. It should be an opportunity for a successful or talented person to give something back by way of public service.

Neither should a parliamentary seat be a reward, whether for loyal service to a union or years spent as a political hack. That type of candidate is exactly the type we don't want. IMHO The state is best served by people with a mixture of life experiences, who aren't just eyeing the money.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#588 Post by Dog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:21 pm

All for a far more rigorous selection and re selection process for candidates on all sides of politics, more can do people please! Good to see everyone elected on both sides given a job to do in addition to their electorate duties. Too many not doing anything to contribute for years.

Waewick

#589 Post by Waewick » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I find it bizzare that this state government is happy to tax car parking to improve PT. But won't allow tolls for better roads.

Shows how stupid they really are I guess.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#590 Post by Dog » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Waewick wrote:I find it bizzare that this state government is happy to tax car parking to improve PT. But won't allow tolls for better roads.

Shows how stupid they really are I guess.
Yes it makes you wonder :-) !

Waewick

#591 Post by Waewick » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm

hey Dog

are we going to get a some pretty pictures of all the broken promises of State Labor?

I know you are hot on these things.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#592 Post by rev » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:15 am

Got to laugh at how blatant news crap has become.
For how long was Abbott and Liberals in opposition blaming Labor? Its all they've done since winning the election as well.
Our state gov. blames the fed. gov for it's budget, rightly or wrongly, and news crap takes a swipe..
Apparently the state gov should stop blaming Canberra.
Fair call.

Now when will news crap take a swipe on the from page at the fed gov and tell them to stop the blame game and call them out on broken promises?

Lucky(or not) for me there's a paper at work everyday..I can't believe people pay money for this oversized toilet paper still.

Waewick

#593 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:15 am

Tom and Jay are being laughed at because after 12 years the issues here are way bigger than the last election.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#594 Post by Dog » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:02 am

Waewick wrote:hey Dog

are we going to get a some pretty pictures of all the broken promises of State Labor?

I know you are hot on these things.
Waewick I think you may recall before the Federal election I posted numerous bits on how the election of an Abbott government was going to be a disaster for SA. Well it's now a reality the Federal cut to the SA state funding over 5 years is just under $3000 for every man woman and child.

Waewick

#595 Post by Waewick » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:20 am

Bull crap. Pie in the sky promises by state labor are the problem.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#596 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:50 pm

We are poor, is the problem.

Being a bit skint is a problem in itself, for a person as well as a state. The big problem for a poor state is the lack of bargaining power when the Feds decide how much GST to dish out to us.

Waewick

#597 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:30 pm

stumpjumper wrote:We are poor, is the problem.

Being a bit skint is a problem in itself, for a person as well as a state. The big problem for a poor state is the lack of bargaining power when the Feds decide how much GST to dish out to us.
we are poor, due to lack of trying to do anything about it.

head in the sand crap for the last 2 decades.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#598 Post by Will » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Waewick wrote:
stumpjumper wrote:We are poor, is the problem.

we are poor, due to lack of trying to do anything about it.

head in the sand crap for the last 2 decades.
That's somewhat unfair. WA and QLD are not rich because they "did something about it". They are rich out of pure simple luck. They have abundant and easy to exploit natural resources, and we don't.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#599 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:39 pm

One day the tables will turn, and SA will be the resources rich state.

It would be nice if this could happen now, and not later.

metro
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide University - Developments & News

#600 Post by metro » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:29 am

As I walked through the University Campus this morning I saw temporary fencing with black mesh has been put up all around the new Union Hall building (I dont know what it's called), is there some building work about to be done?