News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2506 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:31 am

Aidan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:Islington would be a good hub if it was redeveloped ala Mawson Lakes style.
How do you mean?
direct access to the plat forms from Regency road and a bus interchange to head towards TAFE, Arndale and toward the eastern/ north eastern suburbs for example.

Also with the rejuvenation of the area it could be surrounded in med to high density development.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#2507 Post by Archer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 pm

SA Planning, Transport and Infrastructure have just posted on Facebook that 4007 will commence service this weekend with the Footy Express runs for the showdown.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2508 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 pm

ml69 wrote: Interesting feedback Brucetiki .... out of interest, do you drive or walk to Nurlutta station? How would you get to Salisbury or Elizabeth South in the future if Nurlutta closed?
I walk to Nurlutta (there's no parking facilities at Nurlutta), but live roughly halfway between Salisbury and Nurlutta station, so if Nurlutta closed, I'd simply walk to Salisbury (because I value my car too much to leave it at Salisbury :lol: )

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2509 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:33 pm

6 car footy train..
image.jpg
image.jpg (184.86 KiB) Viewed 4388 times

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#2510 Post by jase111 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Anybody now what's up with the seaford line at sturt creek between marion and oaklands trains are doing 10 km over the bridge ?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2511 Post by muzzamo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 am

I was shocked, dissapointed, but not surprised to see that the outside of one of the ends of 4007 has been severely spraypainted and vandalised :-(

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2512 Post by skyliner » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:58 pm

then the very same people call the city a hole. Can't get the logic. :wallbash:

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2513 Post by muzzamo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 pm

New Park ‘n’ Rides for Noarlunga and Smithfield

The two new Park ‘n’ Ride car park facilities at Smithfield and Noarlunga officially opened today.

The Park ‘n’ Ride at Seaman Road, Noarlunga has been expanded from 100 to 245 spaces to meet growing demand for parking at the Noarlunga interchange, and features CCTV facilities, high-quality lighting and disability standard compliance for public transport.

A second Park ‘n’ Ride located next to Smithfield Station at the end of Station Street, Munno Para provides parking for around 190 cars, including disabled spaces, to meet user demand. The new facility will increase the parking available surrounding Smithfield Station from approximately 248 to 438 spaces.

The new facilities at Noarlunga and Smithfield follow last month’s announcement to build a new Park ‘n’ Ride at Parafield Airport for at least 400 cars, due for completion in late 2015.

The new facilities are part of the State Government’s work to increase Park 'n' Ride spaces for commuters; there are now more than 11,000 spaces, compared to 6,100 in 2002.

There are 72 Park 'n' Ride locations, and the State Government is also doing preliminary scoping works for further Park ‘n’ Ride facilities at seven other sites including Golden Grove, West Lakes, Tambelin, Bellevue Heights, Crafers, Wayville and Morphettville/Glenelg sites.
Any guess as to where the Bellevue Heights and Morphettville/Glenelg sites would be?

Aidan

#2514 Post by Aidan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 pm

muzzamo wrote:Any guess as to where the Bellevue Heights and Morphettville/Glenelg sites would be?
Manson Avenue (with a new train station on the passing loop) and the racecourse car park seem the most sensible locations.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

PeFe

#2515 Post by PeFe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

From the 'Tiser
Give us our privacy back, pleads a track-side resident near Millswood Station

Some residents living near Millswood station are calling for the State Government to install screens to prevent viewers seeing into their homes. Picture: Nicholas Wrankmore. Source: News Limited

A MILLSWOOD woman says her family’s privacy has been seriously compromised following an upgrade of Millswood station.

The Transport Department cleared shrubs which formed a barrier between Georgia Loudon’s Varden St house and the Millswood station platform.

The shrubs were removed during a $500,000 upgrade of the station ahead of a 12-month trial reopening from next month.

Commuters on the platform can now see into Ms Loudon’s front yard and lounge room windows.

She called on the department to replant mature plants to ensure her family’s privacy.

“It’s disgusting,” Ms Loudon says.

“I don’t want to be that person to complain, but no one told us what the station was going to end up like.”

She did not want to install curtains or blinds or a new fence.

“We wouldn’t replace the fence because we’ve just spent thousands on a new one in the past 18 months,” she said.

“And we’ve never had to have curtains or shutters and to put them in now would totally close off our living area.”

Transport Department spokeswoman Melissa Martin said a screen would be installed but refused to say whether it would happen before the trail started.

She would not say what materials would be used.

Other Millswood residents have raised concerns with the station’s upgraded lighting and potential parking issues.

Avenue St resident Barbara Giles wanted new lights dimmed to reduce the impact on neighbours.

The department said the upgraded lighting was necessary to meet disability requirements, but might be adjusted when the station opened.

Another Avenue St resident, Wally Szachnowicz, was concerned drivers would use his street as an all-day carpark.

Unley Council chief executive Peter Tsokas said staff would monitor parking during the trial.

“This review will provide guidance on the need, type and extent of parking management measures that may be required,” Mr Tsokas said.

The State Government will record patronage at the station during the 12-month trial before deciding whether to permanently reopen it.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7066390342
Its this sort of thing that really illustrates how "hard" it is to satisfy community demands, first of all you have some locals saying "we want our train station back!" despite the fact that previous patronage was low and there is a regular bus service within a 10 minute walk......Now the station is nearly up and running and there is a privacy issue (fair enough) but also concerns about commuters parking in the local streets.
Are people really going to drive to Millswood to catch a train into the city? I don't think so...especially when they work out that only one out of two trains will stop there.
And to the issue of "bright station lights"...well its bright because it has to be safe and disability compliant....do the residents really want commuters to alight at a dimly lit station at night?
Maybe Adelaide Metro should encourage local residents to act as local "guardians" for the station when it opens, you know what I mean....."own the station".... the residents stare out of their windows day and night and know exactly who is using the station, which cars are "strangers" in the street....what time Mr smith got off the train last night........

Nathan

#2516 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Wait, we have someone concerned about people looking into her front yard and living room, and yet doesn't see the need for a fence or curtains? Are people at the train station particularly different from those walking or driving past on the street?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2517 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:47 pm

There is always gotta be that select few...

skyliner

#2518 Post by skyliner » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

In all of this (showing how green I am on the subject), how much of the Gawler line has electrification poles up? also is it likely this line will be electrified in the near future? Does anyone know the costs yet to be incurred to electrify the line and what has yet to be done? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know I should have a better idea after all this time on S-A. but somehow got lost as to the above info.
Thanking you all for your troubles.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Patrick_27

#2519 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:11 pm

I feel now that they plan to re-open the station, they should re-surface and tidy up the car park next to the old Southern platform in Millswood; encourage it as a park and ride.

PeFe

#2520 Post by PeFe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:13 pm

My guess is, the residents don't want a park and ride.....
To quote "Little Britain"..."It should be a local station, for local people only!"