Riverlea (Buckland Park) | 12,000 dwellings | $3b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

#226 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:48 am

that is a disappointing outcome.

the State Government is going to have a serious challenge with unemployment out north.

ChillyPhilly

#227 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:40 am

It WILL be a ghetto and it WILL flood. I can pretty much 100% guarantee it.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#228 Post by Goodsy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Does anyone know what's going on next to the White Horse Inn on Port Wakefield Road? there's a lot of land being cleared near there

ChillyPhilly

#229 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:10 pm

12-month extension granted to Buckland Park.

After the recent floods, one would think that it'd be cancelled in full.

http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/10/14/y ... velopment/

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#230 Post by Goodsy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:43 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:12-month extension granted to Buckland Park.

After the recent floods, one would think that it'd be cancelled in full.

http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/10/14/y ... velopment/
that's interesting, considering they bulldozed all the preliminary work they started at the Angle Vale Road/Port Wakefield Road Intersection.

Although the roads are already mapped out on google earth

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#231 Post by Blimp » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:26 pm

I can't see it going ahead. Surely potential buyers would have heard all about the recent floods and its impacts on the area and would be looking elsewhere. Its not like there's a shortage of crummy sprawling suburbs popping up around the place anyway.

Should have never been proposed, the state should be retaining this land for primary industry!

PeFe

#232 Post by PeFe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:09 pm

We can only hope that the developer re-assesses the chances of selling houses on the Buckland Park flood plain.
Given South Australia's low population growth (9750 people or 0.6%, http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/population) last year, hopefully Walker Corporation will give up by its own volition, allowing the South Australian government to re-consider their approval for new housing in this area.
The flooding has provided an opportunity for all parties to exit this embarrassing housing project.

PeFe

#233 Post by PeFe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Bumping a long stagnant thread, but Walker Corporation has still not given up given up on Buckland Park.
This is what Adelaide does NOT need.
From The Advertiser
Developers receive extension to begin work on $2 billion housing development at Buckland Park

DEVELOPERS of a proposed $2 billion satellite town in northern Adelaide — which would become home to more than 30,000 people — have been given an extension to begin work.

Walker Corporation will have until October 31, 2018 to start on its 12,000-home development in Buckland Park, after it did not “substantially commence” construction on the site this year.

Work on the site has been delayed since the project was first given approval in 2010 because of long-running environmental and design assessments.

Planning Minister John Rau approved the 12-month extension in the Government Gazette this month.

Mr Rau said in the document that the development approval for the site might be cancelled if Walker Corporation did not meet the revised start date.

Playford Mayor Glenn Docherty called on the developers to confirm the start.

“Playford Council welcomes well planned developments in our region which create economic value and cater for our growing population,” Mr Docherty said.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... e71693f3a7

I''m sorry but I just can not believe that first render will ever come to fruition.............
I wont be boring and hark on it...I have said in earlier posts on this thread why I object to Buckland Park.......and nothing has changed

ChillyPhilly

#234 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:50 am

PeFe wrote:Bumping a long stagnant thread, but Walker Corporation has still not given up given up on Buckland Park.
This is what Adelaide does NOT need.
From The Advertiser
Developers receive extension to begin work on $2 billion housing development at Buckland Park

DEVELOPERS of a proposed $2 billion satellite town in northern Adelaide — which would become home to more than 30,000 people — have been given an extension to begin work.

Walker Corporation will have until October 31, 2018 to start on its 12,000-home development in Buckland Park, after it did not “substantially commence” construction on the site this year.

Work on the site has been delayed since the project was first given approval in 2010 because of long-running environmental and design assessments.

Planning Minister John Rau approved the 12-month extension in the Government Gazette this month.

Mr Rau said in the document that the development approval for the site might be cancelled if Walker Corporation did not meet the revised start date.

Playford Mayor Glenn Docherty called on the developers to confirm the start.

“Playford Council welcomes well planned developments in our region which create economic value and cater for our growing population,” Mr Docherty said.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... e71693f3a7

I''m sorry but I just can not believe that first render will ever come to fruition.............
I wont be boring and hark on it...I have said in earlier posts on this thread why I object to Buckland Park.......and nothing has changed
I'm with you. I am vehemently opposed to any development at Buckland Park.

It is the antithesis of modern urban and regional planning, and is the polar opposite of what the likes of developments such as Bowden are trying to achieve.

I can accurately predict what would become of the development if it somehow goes ahead.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#235 Post by Goodsy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am

I don't see a problem with it... if they add proper freeway off ramps to Port Wakefield Road and leave room for a train line, which I doubt they'll do

SBD

#236 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:01 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am
I don't see a problem with it... if they add proper freeway off ramps to Port Wakefield Road and leave room for a train line, which I doubt they'll do
Development on the other side of the highway would make it easier to justify grade separation at Angle Vale Road, which is already considered a dangerous intersection I think. A Virginia Structure Plan from 2013 (before the Northern Connector project) shows traffic lights on that corner, which now looks really dumb just after the road trains have come off the end of a freeway.

I just noticed there is currently not even a warmup lane on PWR at Old Port Wakefield Road at the southern end of Virginia, but that doesn't seem to get as many serious collisions. I don't know if it has better sight lines, or if drivers take more care because it looks more dangerous. It looks like that intersection might get some minor upgrades as part of the Northern Connector project - it has some marks on the road alignment plan, but hasn't been announced as a distinct work package like the major interchanges have. I don't know if it's already been done? It is not shown to have traffic lights in the Structure Plan, so would still be uncontrolled.

rhino

#237 Post by rhino » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am
It is nowhere near any existing public transport, or even current routes which could be extended. Nowhere near schools, health services etc. This is a development that will be totally dependant on car travel to reach anything, for a long time into the future.

I have no problem with people not wanting to live in a medium-density Brompton-style development - some people want a little more space - but developments such as this can be built in areas where existing essential services are nearby. No doubt the people who choose to live in Buckland Park will want a Government School close by, some public transport will be expected, at Government expense, some health services, also at Government expense. Who is the winner in this development? Walker Corporation, and that's about it.
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#238 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

Not only is it remote to everything. It's also a low lying flood plain. There's a few evaporated lakes and several dry creeks running through it.

This is a disaster in all respects (social, environmental...) waiting to happen.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 16fbcdf35a
“It was never a good idea for a settlement in that location. It’s not a settlement that is connected by public transport. It doesn’t have jobs — there’s no employment lands so (there’s no) opportunity for people to work in close proximity to their home (and) it’s low-lying land which has been known to flood.” Professor Kellett said there may be an “engineering solution” that could mitigate the flood risk but it could be costly both to the hip pocket and the environment.
And that render is a laughable fantasy.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide Plains | Development and News

#239 Post by Goodsy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:24 pm

Is Buckland Park finally under construction? there's a lot of earth moving going on out there

ChillyPhilly

Re: Adelaide Plains | Development and News

#240 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:50 am

Goodsy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:24 pm
Is Buckland Park finally under construction? there's a lot of earth moving going on out there
Hopefully not.