[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

#571 Post by Aidan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:56 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
omada wrote:ooh a little bumpy hey? diddims. you are all lucky it wasn't a tollway and to be honest I think its a crime to neglect public transport, whilst building these cosy highways for people driving 1-2 tonne vehicles by themselves.
Public transport wasn't neglected. Well BEFORE the duplication of SExy, the Noarlunga line was extended south to Seaford, electrified, saw new electric trains and underwent station and rail intersection (Goodwood) improvements.

The negative that can perhaps come of the duplication is that it will pull commuters away from using upgraded public transport. Hopefully, though, these people have decided and realised what is cheaper, more sustainable and socially better.
Public transport wasn't merely neglected, it was actively sabotaged! For more than a year the Noarlunga trains weren't running at all, forcing many people to buy cars. And while the rail extension, electric trains and more frequent services are welcome, the train services are currently slower than before they started. Meanwhile the City Loop bus service has been run down and neglected before finally being partly merged with the North Adelaide Loop and rerouted to avoid going anywhere near the train station! And when trams and buses are overcrowded, nothing is done about it.

Public transport infrastructure hasn't been as neglected as it has in the past, but public transport services have been badly neglected.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#572 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Unfortunately this is the norm for government that can't kick its addiction to cars.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#573 Post by drsmith » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:31 pm

It's a little bumpy when someone cops it for simply making an observation.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#574 Post by MessiahAndrw » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 pm

drsmith wrote:It's a little bumpy when someone cops it for simply making an observation.
I find irony in how we often get contradictory projects. Every time someone will announce a plan to make a community more livable and focus on infill development and reducing car dependency, there will be another announcement about building a highway to bypass it!
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#575 Post by monotonehell » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:48 am

MessiahAndrw wrote:
drsmith wrote:It's a little bumpy when someone cops it for simply making an observation.
I find irony in how we often get contradictory projects. Every time someone will announce a plan to make a community more livable and focus on infill development and reducing car dependency, there will be another announcement about building a highway to bypass it!
I know you've been away for a while, but you should see what has become of most of our inner suburbs. Even though they are in close proximity to the CBD, all the houses are becoming walled fortresses with no pedestrian access. The residents never leave the house except by car. The narrow roads are maxed out in peak period with four wheel drives, all in convoy for the CBD.

It's just a sad indictment on the status symbols that the middle class hold dear.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#576 Post by drsmith » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:42 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:
The merits or otherwise of car dependency though can be discussed in the absence of criticism for making an observation about a particular project.

That's the simple point I was making. :)

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#577 Post by alexczarn » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:40 am

Nice to see 100km/h on the northbound carriageway now.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#578 Post by Brando » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Does anyone know if there are plans to light up the entire length of the expressway?

Had to drive this at 4am and I was surprised how dark it was.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#579 Post by neoballmon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Not likely, only at the interchanges I would say.
That is one thing that slightly bothers me, that I used to be able to use my high beams so easily because there was never any oncoming traffic and they could just stay on all 20kms without bothering anyone. Now I have to keep flicking them off. And after seeing a kangaroo jumping across the road a few years ago, I want to be careful once construction packs up..
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#580 Post by neoballmon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:26 am

New non-lit up signage is going up this weekend at the Darlington entrance.

This is the second gantry, with basic signage and nothing changeable. They are currently working on the first gantry which will have changeable destinations and I assume changeable to an X if closed.

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#581 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 pm

That is a lot of sign for not much information.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#582 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 pm

I guess it will be dismantled once the Darlington Interchange gets underway?

Minor irrelevant issue, though it would be nice if they used different lights along the upgraded Expressway. It's such an important roadway that deserves more than the typical highway lighting that has been used for the past century. For example the new lighting along the north-south motorway give its a nice modern look, same goes with any new freeway in Melbourne.