[CAN] New Courts Precinct | $500m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crowdoc
Gold-Member ;)

[CAN] Re: PRO: New Courts Precinct | $500m

#16 Post by crowdoc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm

What is the mini Festival Theater structure in front for? Is that for a new star chamber? Sounds like there is finance and political will to make this happen though, so hope it makes it

ml69
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by ml69 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Personally, I think the massing in each of the 4 schemes is wrong. The taller high-rise tower should be built on the corner of KW and Wright St, hence addressing and fronting KW St and reinforcing the primary significance of this street. The second mid-rise tower should be built on the corner of Wright and Mill St, hence having a less significant form abutting Mill St.

DaveAdl
Gold-Member ;)

#18 Post by DaveAdl » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Just a short note geotechnical samples being taken this morning and survey work ... Will have to keep an eye on this one

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by phenom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Looks like some movement on this one?

http://m.indaily.com.au/business/2014/0 ... n-develop/
Adelaide’s proposed new courts precinct project has moved to the “design and develop” stage with three consortia shortlisted by the State Government.

The consortia – Activate 40, CBUS and Investec – have been invited to submit proposals for the precinct, which is located on the corner of Gouger Street and King William Road.
rest of article available at link...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Will » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

From news.com:
SA Attorney-General John Rau says the new $500 million courts precinct will be ready by 2017

This story was published: 35 minutes ago March 02, 2014 10:16PM

CONTRACTS to construct South Australia’s new $500 million courthouse will be signed by December and the building completed by 2017, the State Government says.

The Advertiser can today exclusively reveal the timeline for the development of the new facility, which Attorney-General John Rau calls an “absolutely essential piece of infrastructure”.

Three development consortia — Activate 40, CBUS and Investec — have been short-listed for the project and will submit their proposals over the next few weeks.

Mr Rau said the government wanted to see construction begin in the first quarter of 2015 and the new Supreme and District Courts open for business by 2017.

“We are absolutely happy with the way things are progressing on this absolutely essential piece of infrastructure for the courts,” he said.

“This new facility will provide the courts with what they need for the next 50 years, if not more.”

For more than a decade, judges and lawyers have called for a complete overhaul of the archaic, crumbling Supreme Court building on the corner of King William and Gouger Sts.

The structure is so outdated that, when former Chief Justice John Doyle suffered an injury in 2011 and required a wheelchair, he could no longer access his own office.

The District Court building, on Victoria Square, has long struggled with courtroom availability, outdated IT facilities and cell elevators that regularly break down.

In May 2012, Mr Rau announced a $300,000 “scoping study” looking at redeveloping the courts precinct.

Twelve months later, Chief Justice Chris Kourakis warned the courts’ IT systems were 25 years old and at “high risk” of failure .

In September, the State Government announced a “massive reform” of the justice system centred on a purpose-built, $500 million courts precinct .

It said the new building would unify the Supreme, District, Youth and Coroners Courts in a single location.

In January, top barrister David Edwardson, QC, told The Advertiser that SA’s courts were the worst in the country due to government under-resourcing .

Later that month the Opposition announced that, if elected, it would integrate a justice system-wide IT upgrade with the already-proposed redevelopment .

The next day, the State Government revealed an upgrade of the archaic IT system would cost in excess of $50 million .

Yesterday, Mr Rau said the consortia would present their proposals in May for evaluation by a government panel, which would give its recommendations by August.

He said he was confident the successful consortia would be chosen by September, allowing for contracts to be signed in December.

Work would then begin in the first three months of 2015.

“We’ve been banging away at this for the best part of several years,” Mr Rau said.

“It’s been procurement in the ordinary fashion, according to regulations, and these are necessary steps.

“But this thing has been a long time coming and, as far as I’m concerned, it now has real momentum.”

He said the development would continue to progress through the election campaign despite the government being in caretaker mode.

“This is the result of decisions we made months ago, and it’s just ticking away on its own internal momentum,” he said.

“The next government, be it this government returned or a new government, will be making the final decision.”

The consortiums that could build the new courthouse.

Activate 40, comprised of:

— Capella Capital (Commercial Developer and Financier)

— Lend Lease Building Contractors (Contractor)

— Mott MacDonald Australia (Stakeholder, Design and Project Management)

— Aurecon (Civil, Structural, Security and Services Engineering)

CBUS, comprised of:

— CBUS Property (Commercial Developer and Financier)

— Probuild Constructions (Contractor)

— Architectus + GHD (Architect)

— Architectus + GHD + Oxigen (Urban Designer)

Investec, comprised of:

— Investec Bank (Commercial Developer and Financier)

— Built Environs (Contractor )

— Cox Architecture (Architect)

— Hames Sharley (Architect and Interior Designer)

— Rogers Stirk Harbour & Partners (Architect)

A COURT ORDER

The timeline:

March 2014: Proposals formally requested from the three consortia.

May 2014: Consortia present their proposals to the Attorney-General’s Department.

June — July 2014: State Government panel evaluates the proposals.

August 2014: Government panel makes its recomm-endations about the proposals.

August — September 2014: Cabinet considers the recommendations and chooses a consortia.

December 2014: Contracts signed.

January — March 2014: Stage one of construction begins.

2017: Construction completed, courtsd open.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by Dvious » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:30 pm

I pray we don't get a 18 story 'box'. Please!

This is a massive opportunity for something amazing, for $500 million i hope we see a beautiful 30+ story tower, i just hope it's not another opportunity wasted.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by bm7500 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Dvious wrote:I pray we don't get a 18 story 'box'. Please!

This is a massive opportunity for something amazing, for $500 million i hope we see a beautiful 30+ story tower, i just hope it's not another opportunity wasted.
What he ^^ said.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Pants » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:18 pm

It's a Court building that, most likely for security reasons, they're not mixing with offices, so I can't see it even going close to 30 levels. They'll build as many as they need with provision for a bit of future-proofing.

I'm fine with it being mid-rise, but am holding out hope that we get something architecturally striking.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#24 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:20 pm

bm7500 wrote:
Dvious wrote:I pray we don't get a 18 story 'box'. Please!

What he ^^ said.
I'm sorry, but why do we need a 30+ story tower? Think practically here, Adelaide is having trouble filling out office space the city at the moment as is, why add to the burden? Let's build what is needed; nothing more, nothing less.

[Shuz]

#25 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 am

I saw that a couple of trees were being felled on site this morning as I went by on the tram.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 am

[Shuz] wrote:I saw that a couple of trees were being felled on site this morning as I went by on the tram.
A cardigan wearing ACC councillor just lost its wings ;-)
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by Phantom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I saw that a couple of trees were being felled on site this morning as I went by on the tram.
To be fair, it's been so long since that site had anything on it, I'm actually quite surprised it's not heritage listed and claimed as parklands... :roll:
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

serca
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by serca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 am

Should see renders and construction for this one soon . The consortia for this project should be finalised soon

ghs

#29 Post by ghs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Serca, can you please confirm how you know this information ?

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Dvious » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:19 pm

From a few sources entries where submitted a couple of months ago so the selection process would have been completed by now.