COM: Glenside Redevelopment | $43m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: COM: Glenside Redevelopment | $43m

#91 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:58 pm

I guess the question is, will they partner with one developer for the whole area, or will it be like Bowden where each lot goes out separately and there's a mix of developers?

Waewick

#92 Post by Waewick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:12 am

Nathan wrote:I guess the question is, will they partner with one developer for the whole area, or will it be like Bowden where each lot goes out separately and there's a mix of developers?
That will be interesting.

I reckon they'll go one. The interesting part for me is infrastructure.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by Vee » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Update on SAFC at Glenside.

New set construction workshop to attract film and TV production to SA
The 2015-16 State Budget includes $918,000 to build a set construction workshop at the Adelaide Studios site at Glenside to attract new interstate and international film and television productions to South Australia.

A set construction workshop allows film and television sets to be designed and built on site at the Adelaide Studios, reducing costs and making South Australia more attractive to potential investors.
SAFC:
http://www.safilm.com.au/Article/NewsDe ... 16&id=3055

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#94 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:57 am

A Western Australian company has the rights to redevelop Glenside.

From InDaily:
West Australian developer Cedar Woods Properties has been selected by the State Government to transform the former Glenside Hospital site into an inner-city residential mecca of up to 1000 homes.

Cedar Woods announced on the ASX on Thursday morning it had secured 16.5-hectare Glenside site on Fullarton Road, opposite Adelaide Parklands, following negotiations with Renewal SA.

The parcel of land is two kilometres from the heart of Adelaide and surrounded by retail, key services and some of the city’s most sought-after schools.

Cedar Woods’ development director Patrick Archer announced the company would work Renewal SA over the next six months to create the Glenfield master plan to deliver a “well-designed, mixed-use urban neighbourhood”.

“We are experienced in delivery high-quality outcomes from urban infill sites at various projects across Australia,” Archer said.

“The preliminary work we have completed is based on a mix of townhouses and apartments that work with the existing site to provide plenty of public space and preservation of heritage buildings.”

Housing and Urban Development Minister John Rau said Cedar Woods was selected for its vision and experience in delivering medium-to-high density developments.

“I have been clear that development on the site must respond to both the site’s heritage and environmental features and be done in consultation with the community – and this is exactly what Cedar Woods is proposing,” Rau said.

“Open space, sustainability and the heritage buildings are strong features of Cedar Wood’s early proposals, and they will now work with Renewal SA and the community to develop a master plan for site.”

Cedar Woods has built residential developments in Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland and announced it would open an office in Adelaide.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

claybro

#95 Post by claybro » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Good news. From what I have observed with WA urban renewals here in Perth, they generally put a lot of effort into the public areas and landscaping. Greening and irrigation is of a high standard in all developments here, despite the poor soils and dry summers. They are also big on public art and different building materials, like red brick, aged steel, limestone etc. Hopefully this follows through to this site.

Patrick_27

#96 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm not a NIMBY, but this is bad news. That parcel of land should be protected under similar regulation as the Parklands. The state government are just trying to make money off of community land.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#97 Post by jk1237 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I'm not a NIMBY, but this is bad news. That parcel of land should be protected under similar regulation as the Parklands. The state government are just trying to make money off of community land.
oh gawd, there is literally hundreds and hundreds of acres of parklands a 3 min walk away

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#98 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:50 pm

It should be possible (mandatory?) to improve Greenhill/Fullarton intersection traffic throughput as part of the Glenside redevelopment.

Under, over, around, sideways, whatever.

Grab a slice of the Glenside land to make it so...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Patrick_27

#99 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:36 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:I'm not a NIMBY, but this is bad news. That parcel of land should be protected under similar regulation as the Parklands. The state government are just trying to make money off of community land.
oh gawd, there is literally hundreds and hundreds of acres of parklands a 3 min walk away
No, not "oh gawd". Regardless of the distance between Glenside and the Parklands, this land has more community value than it does financial value. 100 years from now people will look back on us in shame for allowing the sale of this chunk of land.

You've got the Bowden development that isn't complete yet, you have St Clair and Lightsview that still have a a sizeable chunk of lots to still sell off, and you have useless industrial land west of the city. Furthermore, you have a CBD with a high demand for apartment buildings. So, why should we destroy a piece of land that at this point isn't necessarily required, especially when you have a heap of vacant office buildings along Fullarton and Greenhill Road/s that could be converted into apartments.

I hate it when people like you senselessly support development when you clearly haven't weighed in both sides of the argument. "Oh cool, they're going to develop THAT park into sub-standard townhouses."

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#100 Post by jk1237 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:19 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
jk1237 wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
I hate it when people like you senselessly support development when you clearly haven't weighed in both sides of the argument. "Oh cool, they're going to develop THAT park into sub-standard townhouses."
oh my god, don't be so pathetic, seriously

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:19 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
jk1237 wrote:
No, not "oh gawd". Regardless of the distance between Glenside and the Parklands, this land has more community value than it does financial value. 100 years from now people will look back on us in shame for allowing the sale of this chunk of land.

You've got the Bowden development that isn't complete yet, you have St Clair and Lightsview that still have a a sizeable chunk of lots to still sell off, and you have useless industrial land west of the city. Furthermore, you have a CBD with a high demand for apartment buildings. So, why should we destroy a piece of land that at this point isn't necessarily required, especially when you have a heap of vacant office buildings along Fullarton and Greenhill Road/s that could be converted into apartments.

While I don't necessarily agree 100% with you on that, I definitely see where you are coming from. There are numerous large scale developments happening close to the city with many of these still having large numbers of allotments to sell. Bringing Glenside into the market within the next 2/3 years will seemingly saturate that market, lessening demand in other areas.

Is this necessarily a bad thing though? I'm unsure..

I do support turning the area into housing in the longer term. If we however wait 25 years before we do this, what should be done with it in the meantime? Should it sit vacant? Redevelop it for 25 years before starting again when the time comes to build housing? The land is available now, therefore it makes sense to start developing it now..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Waewick

#102 Post by Waewick » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:43 pm

te Government is broke. It needs the cash.

claybro

#103 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:51 pm

There is NOTHING attractive about that parcel of land now. Right on the doorstep of the city. This is exactly the type of infill that should be happening, instead of endlessly tacking on soul-less suburbs, encroaching on our beautiful wine country north and south of the city. Yes there are some undersold developments in the near metro area now, but there is also acres of under utilised parkland, without locking away a prime site for more dry grass.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#104 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:07 pm

From news.com.au
Glenside redevelopment: Concerns raised over plan for 8-storey apartment block where there’s now an oval

There are plans to redevelop 17ha of land surround the Glenside hospital.
glenside1.jpg
glenside1.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
A PLAN to build 1000 houses — including an eight story apartment block — in a prime eastern suburbs location has some locals worried there simply won’t be enough open space left in their area.

This is because much of the Glenside hospital redevelopment’s dedicated open space will be eaten up by the site’s stormwater basin.

And most of the rest will be beneath the strip of protected trees lining Fullarton Rd.

Apartment blocks rising to eight stories would be built on the balance of the site.

Under a plan released last week by the State Government and developer Cedar Woods Properties, about 5ha of the 17ha site would be kept as open space.

Two hectares of this would be made up of the “detention basin/park” at the corner of Fullarton and Greenhill roads.

Another 2ha would be in a buffer zone either side of the significant trees along Fullarton Rd.

The oval will be covered with buildings — including an eight storey apartment block — under the 1000-home plan.

Burnside Residents’ Association president Anna Sullivan said the plans included minimal open space.

“They say 30 per cent open space but that can be roads and driveways and people are concerned it looks like the dedicated open space is the stormwater basin in that corner,” Dr Sullivan said.

The tallest, eight-storey apartment blocks would be directly behind the Fullarton Rd tree reserves, with heights stepping down towards the northeastern corner of the site, where there had been concerns about overlooking of neighbours.

Traffic lights would be installed at the site’s main entrance on Fullarton Rd.

Burnside Mayor David Parkin said the plan contained “no surprises”.

He said “sections of the community” would not like the plans but, for the council, it was “better to be in the tent than out of it” when it came to consultation.

Cedar Woods Development director Patrick Archer said “trees, open space, sustainability and the heritage buildings are strong features of the preliminary master plan, along with housing diversity”.

According to the plans, the stormwater basin would be “landscaped and enhanced to create

an attractive space with recreation, exercise and sporting amenities”.

Consultation sessions were held at Burnside Community Centre last Tuesday and Saturday.

Comment can now only be made online until December 20.

A formal ministerial development plan amendment will be released in April, clearing the way for work to start late next year.

Patrick_27

#105 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:36 pm

The government have already destroyed the oval and surrounding open area they might as well go in for the final kill so they can make the money they hope to make on it.

What I can't understand is that you've got a tonne of empty office blocks along Greenhill and Fullarton Roads which could be converted into apartment living but instead they've gone for this option which is rubbish.