[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4411 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:55 pm

I'd rather see the dough go towards that, and also to chopping up part of the elitist car park and building a bus/taxi interchange point.

I just find it odd that an unnecessary project like this gets funded for what will be little return of economic value when you have Hindmarsh Stadium in need of some fresh necessities.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#4412 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:51 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:I'd rather see the dough go towards that, and also to chopping up part of the elitist car park and building a bus/taxi interchange point.

I just find it odd that an unnecessary project like this gets funded for what will be little return of economic value when you have Hindmarsh Stadium in need of some fresh necessities.
honestly :?

interesting enough, it is also a disabled carpark.

ChillyPhilly

#4413 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Waewick wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:I'd rather see the dough go towards that, and also to chopping up part of the elitist car park and building a bus/taxi interchange point.

honestly :?

interesting enough, it is also a disabled carpark.
Someone else in this thread thinks same. Obviously the disabled carpark is the priority. I just don't think the room is sufficient enough for this proposal.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#4414 Post by claybro » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:09 pm

I would rather see 30mil go towards upgrading Memorial Drive into a multi purpose indoor venue for basketball etc. This precinct would then be active virtually 52 weeks of the year.

Patrick_27

#4415 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:17 pm

claybro wrote:I would rather see 30mil go towards upgrading Memorial Drive into a multi purpose indoor venue for basketball etc. This precinct would then be active virtually 52 weeks of the year.
Agreed. On that topic, having looked into the whole upgrading Memorial Drive, I think the only way it's going to work is to bulldoze Memorial Drive and Next Gen and slightly reposition Memorial Drive (roadway) to cater for such a venue, arena's aren't small buildings.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#4416 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:46 pm

claybro wrote:I would rather see 30mil go towards upgrading Memorial Drive into a multi purpose indoor venue for basketball etc. This precinct would then be active virtually 52 weeks of the year.
Agreed, something of NCAA College hoops standard would attract the 36ers to the city sporting precinct. The SMA could also compete with the AEC for concerts too!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#4417 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Do we need to co-locate everything? Surely it's better to spread the love a little bit (and provide opportunity to host more than one thing at a time).

I'd say upgrade Memorial Drive for tennis, but locate basketball/netball/concert venue in another area of the CBD (Old bus station site between Grote and Franklin would be good, as it can feed the Market / China Town / Victoria Square precinct, while Adelaide Oval & Memorial Drive feeds the Riverbank precinct).

claybro

#4418 Post by claybro » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:51 pm

At a venue management conference this year in Singapore, 2 things stood out on a world stage from an Oz point of view. 1. Adelaide Oval got a rave review for the development itself, and the flow on effect to the CBD. And 2 was the whole Melbourne Park precinct for its grouping together of sporting venues with particular regard to ease of access and critical mass of venues in close proximity. This is regarded as worlds best practice and could so easily be achieved by upgrading memorial drive. Tennis alone though would not warrant the spend.

Nowlistencarefully
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4419 Post by Nowlistencarefully » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks for that diagram, if they go ahead with the Oval 2 expansion, the north east corner is the ideal place to put amenities that can back onto the members area (dual use). The verandah/sheds are no longer there. The southwest corner for more seating and possibly a scoreboard. The terrace level bar of the members can also act as a viewing area. Don't know how they fit the TV facilities with that alignment indicated on the southern side. The tractors etc. could be tucked into the south east corner.

Also what about balls straying out onto the road? Wouldn't this need some netting?

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#4420 Post by Blimp » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:40 am

Agreed especially in regard to basketball, getting to Findon is a nightmare and deters me and others I know from attending. Providing a venue that can cater for as many sports as possible (basketball, netball, tennis etc etc) would be the best outcome if they're going to do anything with Memorial Drive Park.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#4421 Post by ml69 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:27 am

Blimp wrote:
Agreed especially in regard to basketball, getting to Findon is a nightmare and deters me and others I know from attending. Providing a venue that can cater for as many sports as possible (basketball, netball, tennis etc etc) would be the best outcome if they're going to do anything with Memorial Drive Park.
This conversation has been had on another discussion thread, but it depends exactly you want to do with Memorial Drive.

If you want a mid-size arena catering predominantly for tennis, basketball and netball (and mid-size concerts), there is sufficient space (just) to do a 7,000 seat arena on the exisiting Mem Drive site. This leaves the current Entertainment Centre to cater for larger events.

If however you wanted to replace the Entertainment Centre with a new arena at Mem Drive catering for (say) 10-12,000 people, then Memorial Drive road will need realignment and Next Generation will need to be demolished.

Next Gen could be rebuilt on the corner of Montefiore Rd and Memorial Dr.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#4422 Post by Vee » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Adelaide Oval is a magnificent venue. Great drawcard, great location!

The Big Bash League 2015-16 is underway and is attracting huge TV audiences, with interest extending beyond Australia.
Stunning sunsets, old heritage scoreboard, crowd on the hill, atmosphere and ... the cricket.
That is "free" publicity and promotion for AO and Adelaide.

Compare.....
Tonight there is a BBL game at Etihad - with the roof .. (Edit) open.

The attraction of Adelaide Oval, with its highly accessible location, is proving a lure to Big Bash attendances - as revealed by comparative crowd numbers to date.

Big Bash attendances up to Dec 22:
17/12 - 18,287 at Spotless Thunder / Sixers
18/12 - 27,611 at AO Strikers / Stars (sweltering heatwave)
19/12 - 26,245 at Gabba Renegades / Heat
20/12 - 20,072 at SCG Sixers / Hurricanes
20/12 - 18,809 at MCG Stars / Thunder
21/12 - 20,553 at WACA Scorchers - Strikers
22/12 - 14,848 at Blundstone Hurricanes / Heat (record domestic)

I will be interested to see the AO attendance for BBL on New Year's Eve.
Last year's NYE 31/12/14 (43,288) and 24/1/15 Semi (52,663) attendances will be hard to beat!
Last edited by Vee on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick_27

#4423 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:46 pm

ml69 wrote:If however you wanted to replace the Entertainment Centre with a new arena at Mem Drive catering for (say) 10-12,000 people, then Memorial Drive road will need realignment and Next Generation will need to be demolished.

Next Gen could be rebuilt on the corner of Montefiore Rd and Memorial Dr.
I wouldn't even provide the option for Next Gen to rebuild along that precinct, there are plenty of places they could relocate to within the city.

Personally, I'd go bigger and offering something like Rod Laver Arena where you can adapt the capacity. Road Laver uses massive curtains to significantly decrease the seating area (usually for multi-date music shows where the last couple of shows haven't sold so well). Say, 14-15,000 with an optional capacity of 7-8,000.

Adelaide has shown that it can sell out Netball and Music events at the Entertainment Centre (which is 12,000), so why not strive for something a little bigger.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#4424 Post by fifty » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Margaret Court Arena is the model for Memorial Drive for now...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4425 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm

If you're about to post a comment about an EVENT at Adelaide Oval instead of DEVELOPMENT NEWS about Adelaide oval please go to the Adelaide Oval News and Events thread.
This section is for development news, not event news and reviews.
Thanks!
:applause:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.