Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#16 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:42 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
ghs wrote:Thanks for the stats Vee. It was an amazing
year last year for Adelaide oval with
the world cup matches including Ind v Pakistan, big bash matches, liverpool, Afl, Ac dc and the day night test match.

This coming year we should have good crowds at
the remaining big bash matches, the Socceroos coming in March and I ve heard rumours that U2 might also be touring later in the year.
The issue with U2's tour is that it's an arena (indoor) one. They'd have to adapt it for an outdoor stadium - yet to happen. The Entertainment Centre is just too small so sadly we may be consigned to missing out.
Sure, it’s been an arena tour so far for the US and European legs however if you look at past tours in these regions they don’t consistently sell out more than a stadium. The last (whole) arena tour U2 did here was in 1989 and they sold out two or more shows in each city. Since then they’ve (mostly) performed in stadiums here and on their last tour sold old two stadium shows in each city (except maybe Perth, they might’ve only sold one show).
I have no doubt they’ll bring a stadium tour here because they can sell it out quite easily and in terms of scheduling it lightens their load. Whether they visit Adelaide (which they didn’t on their last tour) or not will depend on whether they feel the market here will support it as it has in the past, luckily for us we now have both AO and Hindmarsh which provides varying capacities.

Patrick_27

#17 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Well, looks like our BBL record is out the window, the MCG pulled in 80,000 people for their derby today. And in typical Melbournian fashion, they've found a need to brag about the fact. It only took them four years of trying to acquire the title!

ghs

#18 Post by ghs » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
ghs wrote:Thanks for the stats Vee. It was an amazing
year last year for Adelaide oval with
the world cup matches including Ind v Pakistan, big bash matches, liverpool, Afl, Ac dc and the day night test match.

This coming year we should have good crowds at
the remaining big bash matches, the Socceroos coming in March and I ve heard rumours that U2 might also be touring later in the year.
The issue with U2's tour is that it's an arena (indoor) one. They'd have to adapt it for an outdoor stadium - yet to happen. The Entertainment Centre is just too small so sadly we may be consigned to missing out.
Sure, it’s been an arena tour so far for the US and European legs however if you look at past tours in these regions they don’t consistently sell out more than a stadium. The last (whole) arena tour U2 did here was in 1989 and they sold out two or more shows in each city. Since then they’ve (mostly) performed in stadiums here and on their last tour sold old two stadium shows in each city (except maybe Perth, they might’ve only sold one show).
I have no doubt they’ll bring a stadium tour here because they can sell it out quite easily and in terms of scheduling it lightens their load. Whether they visit Adelaide (which they didn’t on their last tour) or not will depend on whether they feel the market here will support it as it has in the past, luckily for us we now have both AO and Hindmarsh which provides varying capacities.
I've also heard rumours that U2 will be doing an indoor arena tour here in Australia. Obviously there's a few issues. Adelaide Ent. Centre is too small, but there's the same problem interstate as well. Brisbane entertainment centre has a similar capacity to the AEC. So would they just play in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney ? I doubt it.

Rod Laver Arena holds about 17,000 or for a concert. So would they play 6 - 8 individual shows there ??

I think if they decide to do an outdoor tour here then they would come to Adelaide and perform at Adelaide oval. I think they could draw
at least 40,000 here.
Last edited by ghs on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by crawf » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Don't U2 usually take turns in visiting both Adelaide and Perth?

U2 last visited Adelaide (AAMI Stadium) in 2006, skipping Perth.

ChillyPhilly

#20 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:07 pm

They choose between Adelaide and Perth because of logistics. Adelaide went 13 years without a U2 gig from 1993 to 2006.

They do arena shows because they are designed for their intimacy. Using that logic, Hindmarsh Stadium is more likely than Adelaide Oval. Wherever they go, they will sell out. They remain arguably music's most popular act at present.

We missed out on them stopping here during the Elevation Tour of 2001-2, which was a mostly arena tour.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by Vee » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:35 pm

Adelaide Oval is such a great venue - for hosting games/matches and events. Great for local fans, visitors, jobs, tourism, the local economy....
So, reading this article (below), I was annoyed at the prospect of an increasingly Sydney/Melbourne-centric focus to Australian cricket at the expense of other cities around the nation.

Australia want to hold a day night test during the Ashes
Cricket Australia wants to establish the tradition of hosting a day-night test every year, including during the Ashes series against England in 2017-18, chief executive James Sutherland said on Tuesday.

Australia hosted the first day-night test against New Zealand at the Adelaide Oval last November and the big crowds and TV ratings had contributed to what Sutherland said was "an unmitigated success".

Following on from that, Sutherland said, Cricket Australia were "actively pursuing" at least one day-night test when they hosted South Africa and Pakistan at the end of this year.
Sutherland also welcomed interest from Melbourne and Sydney in hosting day-night tests in addition to their traditional Boxing Day and New Year's fixtures.

"I think anything is possible and I welcome the interest that everyone has in hosting test matches, it is a ringing endorsement of test cricket and day-night test cricket," he added.
Here's the rub!
.... in addition to ...

So which cities get robbed of a decent fixture to accommodate Melbourne and or Sydney's grab for more...?
I hope Cricket Australia take a national (and fair) approach for the good of the game, fans, players....
"All that needs to be balanced with a policy that we have of trying to share cricket content around the country and that's all part of the balancing act that we will continue to do.
http://www.holdingwilley.com/public/article.aspx?id=810

claybro

#22 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Yeh Sydney....Raining one day....windy and raining the next!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Wayno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Vee wrote:I hope Cricket Australia take a national (and fair) approach for the good of the game, fans, players....
Well we have secured the day/night test fixture!

From The Advertiser
Adelaide Oval to keep day-night pink-ball Test in landmark cricket deal

THE SOUTH Australian Cricket Association is on the brink of agreeing to a landmark, long-term fixture deal with Cricket Australia.

It’s understood SACA will retain its late November — December Test while regaining the hold on a coveted Australia Day slot with the possibility of another 50-over fixture each season.

The Big Bash League New Year’s sellout is also bedded down through a multi-year agreement.

“The good thing about getting a long-term deal from Cricket Australia is that we are able to lock in the schedule a lot earlier,” said SACA chief executive Keith Bradshaw.

“I think people will be happy in terms of the premium content that we believe we are close to securing.”

Adelaide remains CA’s first preference to host day-night Tests despite interest from other cities like Sydney and Melbourne, who want a piece of the pink-ball pie.

The SACA chief executive suggested Sydney should get in the queue behind pioneer Adelaide for pink-ball blockbusters and any race to host two Tests next season.

“It would be very hard for anyone to suggest that, if there was only one day night Test, it would be played anywhere other than Adelaide given the success we had,” said Bradshaw.

“We are very keen to continue hosting day night Test cricket. The feedback has been overwhelmingly supportive.

‘We tick all the boxes. The timeslot suits the rest of Australia, broadcasters, time of year, playing conditions and we have the highest per capita attendances with the most passionate fans.”

A staggering 123,000 fans — many from the eastern states and New Zealand — attended the inaugural day-night test between Australia and Blackcaps in November over three days. Adelaide had been pencilled in to host Pakistan in a day-night Test in early December but fixturing parameters should see heavyweight South Africa take on Australia here in the third Test during late November.

Bradshaw does not believe any venue should expect to host two Tests annually which would deprive Tasmania of the game’s lifeblood matches. However Adelaide would trump Sydney’s case to stage multiple Tests.

“Sydney can take a number,” warned Bradshaw.

“There would have to be a formal process, it’s not anyone’s right to have two Tests. If there were, we would have as good a case as anyone, if not better, with the best venue in Australia.

“I still don’t think it is appropriate to be talking about two Tests when you have a state like Tasmania that is fighting to keep theirs. Our charter is to take games all around the country for the good of the cricket.”

Bradshaw moved decisively to tackle ongoing uncertainty over cricket fixture allocation which saw Perth miss hosting a Test last season. Entrenching dates in a multi-year agreement will boost Stadium Management Authority capacity to lure major events to Adelaide.

“Cricket is our priority of course but we can now build other events around it. We can attract other international events to the Oval as these events have long lead in times,” he said.

Cricket continues to do the heavy lifting for state tourism which invested around $500,000 in an AFL draft fizzer last November while losing big Tour Down Under drawcards like Tour de France winner Chris Froom to Victoria’s rival Herald Sun tour.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Vee » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks, Wayno. That's great news!

I also liked Bradshaw's comments on sharing cricket Tests around Australia, including Tasmania. Why should one state think it's OK to snaffle (hosting) two Tests, thereby depriving another state/city of the opportunity?

The 'fizzer' comments re the November AFL draft were interesting too.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:43 pm

Terrific news eh? Adelaide audiences deserve it with consistent massive attendances. Not sure about the Advertiser's comment "Cricket continues to do the heavy lifting for state tourism " though. With over 2 million in AFL attendances in two years at the oval, many of whom were interstate visitors, it's a big call. Nevertheless Adelaide Oval has exceeded everyone's (very high) expectations in all events, and as one who visited almost daily during construction and watched it rise from the old-stand demolition phase to the packed houses of today, I'm immensely proud of the new life it's added to my favourite city.

skyliner

#26 Post by skyliner » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Agree entirely. A spectacular venue. Seems to be a real drawcard in itself - fame spreading far and wide. Having only Melbourne ground outshining AO is outstanding - here in Bris 33000 is tops. Drew 1800 on last day of test. the whole thing should be speaking to entrepreneurs in many areas re Adelaide. I can see real inner city vibrance ahead. No more sleepy little old Adelaide.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:26 am

There's been much analysis done (world-wide) on the economic impact of new/reinvigorated stadia, mostly talking about the uplift effect being temporary. Anyone have a copy?

I recall the analysis also focusing on people's belief that their city's stadium is different, and that their economic impact will remain high for the long term. I seem to remember the analysis showing this to be true for only a very small percentage of cases.

I'm a lover of AO and the redevelopment. It's impact has been huge. Just curious about what the future may hold.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#28 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:45 am

Wayno wrote:There's been much analysis done (world-wide) on the economic impact of new/reinvigorated stadia, mostly talking about the uplift effect being temporary. Anyone have a copy?

I recall the analysis also focusing on people's belief that their city's stadium is different, and that their economic impact will remain high for the long term. I seem to remember the analysis showing this to be true for only a very small percentage of cases.

I'm a lover of AO and the redevelopment. It's impact has been huge. Just curious about what the future may hold.
I remember reading a report, which was US based which basically said that the investment generally doesn't payoff.

but that could have been in the context of US teams which move around a fair bit.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by fifty » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 pm

The South Australian Centre for Economic Studies did an economic analysis of the development back in 2011/12 which was used to inform the dollar and jobs headlines we all read at that time. SACES won't release a copy as it was SMA commissioned, so unless someone can swindle one out of them, we won't ever know the assumptions that went in to it. However, these types of studies discount future returns to the point where anything beyond 20years is typically given no value in current day terms, so in effect that is the duration of impact that has been assumed.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by Honey of a City » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:33 pm

The difference between AO and most other significant stadia is its proximity to the CBD, its significant non-sport event capability and its beautiful design. It's a major facility that's very comfortable in its setting, and not plonked in some industrial/rail-yard environment on the outskirts like many. The other factor which puts it up there is its size and functionality relative to the relatively small urban population. It will continue to have a local economic impact punching well above its weight for decades to come.