Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#31 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Tonight game is sold out.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by Shahkar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:55 am

Another record setting attendence of 49,115 which is now the third highest in BBL.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#33 Post by Waewick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:27 am

not to take away from a brilliant night, but the bridge is too narrow.

I would start asking questions of safety given how long it takes to clear that Oval and the congestion getting onto it.

it is a disaster waiting to happen.

ChillyPhilly

#34 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:11 am

Waewick wrote:not to take away from a brilliant night, but the bridge is too narrow.

I would start asking questions of safety given how long it takes to clear that Oval and the congestion getting onto it.

The concept of induced demand would come into play.

Patrons also use the King William Street bridge, so if the Riverbank Footbridge were wider, it'd still be just as congested.

I've noticed that events of around 40,000 spectators is when congestion begins.

If people walked at least one kilometre per hour quicker, it would also be far less of an issue.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:If people walked at least one kilometre per hour quicker, it would also be far less of an issue.
Not true - i think.

Similar dynamics to when traffic slows to a crawl? http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic-an ... -jams.html
In summary: Someone slows (for whatever reason) so the car/person behind slows marginally more, and so does the car/person behind this car/person, and so on.

People, what a nuisance...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:47 am

Wayno wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:If people walked at least one kilometre per hour quicker, it would also be far less of an issue.
Not true - i think.

Similar dynamics to when traffic slows to a crawl? http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic-an ... -jams.html
In summary: Someone slows (for whatever reason) so the car/person behind slows marginally more, and so does the car/person behind this car/person, and so on.

People, what a nuisance...
KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING!
SINGLE FILE!
NO DAWDLING!
STAY IN YOUR LANE, BRO!
hitler_cat_5.jpg
hitler_cat_5.jpg (12.59 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
People are crap at observing their environment and changing their behaviour accordingly.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#37 Post by Waewick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:15 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Waewick wrote:not to take away from a brilliant night, but the bridge is too narrow.

The concept of induced demand would come into play.

Patrons also use the King William Street bridge, so if the Riverbank Footbridge were wider, it'd still be just as congested.

I've noticed that events of around 40,000 spectators is when congestion begins.

If people walked at least one kilometre per hour quicker, it would also be far less of an issue.
The bridges purpose is to clear crowds after a match - it is failing woefully at that, but you are right I guess - people need to be more aware of the options.

having someone remind people that there is the KW option or the Morphett Street option would be good - perhaps they need to spend some money making those ways both more obvious and accessible?

rhino

#38 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:29 pm

monotonehell wrote:People are crap at observing their environment and changing their behaviour accordingly.
This!
If people thought a little bit more about how their behaviour is affecting everyone else, and change it accordingly, we would all be better off.
Take, for example, the family of four, with two little kids, who want to hold hands and walk together at the pace of the smallest child, not thinking about the crowd building up behind them because they are unable to pass!

If you want to walk slowly, keep to the left!

Great match last night, I left via King William Road bridge (because the footbridge was jammed) and there was plenty of room, people seem to have forgotten that this bridge exists.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#39 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:08 pm

rhino wrote:If you want to walk slowly, keep to the left!
Given how people behave on every single escalator, I believe that this suggestion is an impossibility.

Waewick

#40 Post by Waewick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Nathan wrote:
rhino wrote:If you want to walk slowly, keep to the left!
Given how people behave on every single escalator, I believe that this suggestion is an impossibility.
and roadway!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:58 pm

This relates to both escalators (biggest pet hate!) and roadways ;)

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#42 Post by rogue » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:11 pm

I've been living interstate for the last 3 years and can assure you that Adelaide drivers are no worse at keeping left than other states. I think Qld have the worst drivers.

claybro

#43 Post by claybro » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Moving the Adelaide station platforms slightly further west might assist by allowing a second entry point of platforms at the western end at Morphett street bridge. Patrons may be more inclined to cross the river at Morphett Street then. Would also help service the new medical precinct. Regardless...anyone leaving Ethiad and into Southern Cross station, or trying to enter Richmond station after MCG games would know that crush crowds are just part of the experience.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:26 pm

rhino wrote:
monotonehell wrote:People are crap at observing their environment and changing their behaviour accordingly.
This!
If people thought a little bit more about how their behaviour is affecting everyone else, and change it accordingly, we would all be better off.
Take, for example, the family of four, with two little kids, who want to hold hands and walk together at the pace of the smallest child, not thinking about the crowd building up behind them because they are unable to pass!

If you want to walk slowly, keep to the left!

Great match last night, I left via King William Road bridge (because the footbridge was jammed) and there was plenty of room, people seem to have forgotten that this bridge exists.
I am in the Riverbank Stand for Port Adelaide games and use the King William Road bridge a lot. My friend use the footbridge and much of the time I get back to the train station 5mins before him.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Vee
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by Vee » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:38 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
I am in the Riverbank Stand for Port Adelaide games and use the King William Road bridge a lot. My friend use the footbridge and much of the time I get back to the train station 5mins before him.
I love the footbridge. OK, it's a bit of a crush during big events, especially at the Memorial Drive end after events, but this usually tends to sort itself out as walkers progress across the bridge.

Much wider and it would be more like a wide highway, with relatively sparse but important numbers in everyday use. It has proved its worth connecting up both sides of the riverbank, and AO to the city - to locals and visitors.

Footy fans (and some major events) using P/T need to use King William St to access the special "Footy Express" buses. Those using trains, trams likely use the footbridge. Big Bash attendees (massive crowds) don't have the special buses so this adds extra folk on the footbridge after matches.

The boost to numbers using P/T as a result of AO (and for some, discovering its convenience) is a bonus.
But why do some locals still not have a Metro card, even for casual use?!?

The egress from the AO Western Stand, with large numbers moving south, is more of a crush and concern.
Oval no. 2, practice areas, tennis courts and Next Gen block off an alternative exit to the west. This funnels large numbers towards the Southern Plaza.

If/when Memorial Drive Tennis Centre is redeveloped, they should improve AO exits westward and improve access and pick up/ drop off bays for the disabled.

PS:
Interesting new job at AO!!!
Your big chance to become a team leader - Adelaide Oval Roof Climb.
Check criteria.

http://adelaideoval.applynow.net.au/job ... am-leaders