[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jase111
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1561 Post by jase111 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Regarding the outer harbour line and the upgrade of south road . there will need to be line closure for the rail bridge over south road . what is the status of the Torrens junction project you would think they would be doing both projects at the same time . can't find any new updates on Torrens junction or Bowden station

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1562 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:How will they do the section from the Torrens heading south?
The road is 7 lanes wide at the corner of South / Ashwin with no room to widen, do you think the section from the Torrens to Anzac Highway will only be two lanes in each direction.
Maybe a tunnel two lanes in each direction from Brickworks to James Congdon? The third lane will feed onto the surface road, so three lanes, two into tunnel third onto South Road (which will split into two) from after Torrens until just after James Condon.
Assuming that this section of the corridor is a trench, it may be similar to the original T2T plan where the surface road is on a bridge deck above the sunken freeway. This is purely a guess so it'll likely turn out vastly different to this.

Time will tell...
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1563 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:47 pm

jase111 wrote:Regarding the outer harbour line and the upgrade of south road . there will need to be line closure for the rail bridge over south road . what is the status of the Torrens junction project you would think they would be doing both projects at the same time . can't find any new updates on Torrens junction or Bowden station
The Outer Harbor line will remain open during the construction ohase, with the exception of the odd weekend/night closure. The trian overpass will be built in a similar way to the tram overpass on South Rd.

A diversion track will be built to either the north or south of the current level crossing, with trains using this whie the bridge is constructed. Once the bridge is complete, the diversion track will be removed and excavation of the trench can start..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1564 Post by rockthenation » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:10 am

T2T surface road between Grange Rd and Hindmarsh Ave starting to take shape, posts for noise wall being erected there also.
Last edited by rockthenation on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1565 Post by Goodsy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:54 pm

There's signs up for the bolivar/pwr intersection realignment

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#1566 Post by jase111 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Just a thought with the north south corridor now taking shape with state and fed funding . What are the other new not replacement road projects that the the state fully funds for grade seperation othe than south road . Elder smith is the only one I can think of since 2002 .

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1567 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:46 am

rockthenation wrote:T2T surface road between Grange Rd and Hundmarsh Ave starting to take shape, posts for noise wall being erected there also.
It's now visible on NearMap (imagery as of 27 December):

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1568 Post by rockthenation » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:47 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
rockthenation wrote:T2T surface road between Grange Rd and Hundmarsh Ave starting to take shape, posts for noise wall being erected there also.
It's now visible on NearMap (imagery as of 27 December):

That's awesome!
Can you get some more images of the other sections?

ChillyPhilly

#1569 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 am

Sadly not, as Nearmap charge. The inner city area is available for free, but you need a login.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1570 Post by Goodsy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:50 am

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1571 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:36 pm

My understanding as to what they're currently doing, please correct me if I'm wrong..

A surface road is being built on the western side, with service relocation happening as a part of this process. When this is complete, all traffic will be diverted to it. Once this occurs the current South road will close and service relocation on the eastern side will occur. An eastern service road will then be constructed. Once both service roads are complete, digging of the trench and construction of the bridge decks will begin in earnest.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1572 Post by rev » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:42 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:My understanding as to what they're currently doing, please correct me if I'm wrong..

A surface road is being built on the western side, with service relocation happening as a part of this process. When this is complete, all traffic will be diverted to it. Once this occurs the current South road will close and service relocation on the eastern side will occur. An eastern service road will then be constructed. Once both service roads are complete, digging of the trench and construction of the bridge decks will begin in earnest.
http://www.t2talliance.com.au/wp88/wp-c ... _FINAL.pdf

Construction time line
August 2015
– Drainage and service
relocation works (eastern side of South Road)

September 2015 – March 2016

Northbound surface road construction
works (western side of South Road
between Hindmarsh Avenue and Port Road)

Late 2015 – March 2016
– Southbound
surface road construction works (eastern
side of South Road) between Port Road
and Forster Street

September 2015 – June 2016

Northbound surface road construction
works (western side of South Road
between Port Road and Torrens Road)

February 2016 – May 2016
- Noise walls
will be installed on a progressive basis
commencing near the Hindmarsh Avenue
end and be completed before the traffic is
switched over onto the newly completed
northbound surface road

March 2016
– Traffic will be switched over
to the northbound surface road (south of
Port Road)

March 2016 – early 2017
– Construction
of the Grange Road bridge and Hawker /
Hurtle Street bridge and Outer Harbor rail
bridge

May 2016
– Traffic will be switched over
to the northbound surface road (north of
Port Road)

May 2016 – July 2017
– Construction of
the Port Road bridge

August 2016
– project completion
(2018)
– Lowered road construction

You can also use the following link to get advanced notice of upcoming work

http://www.t2talliance.com.au/construct ... -zone-map/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1573 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Wow what a complete joke the SA government is. WTF!!! How and why have they approved this. This land should be kept for the future stages or even used now to improve this terrible intersection of Daws and South. Between this site and the Emerson overpass there are about 10 parcels of land for sale. Why are the government not buying them now??

http://www.emmett.com.au/project/retail ... wardstown/
Attachments
01-Hero-Shell-Express-Edwardstown.jpg
01-Hero-Shell-Express-Edwardstown.jpg (472.37 KiB) Viewed 2361 times

Llessur2002

#1574 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:14 pm

But can we really expect the state government to purchase every piece of property that is put up for sale on South Road and keep it aside for an unknown period of time? In the case of this old disused car lot I'm not sure what the options would be after the government purchased it. Lease it out as another car lot? Keep it empty for 10 years as South Road gradually becomes a piecemeal eyesore of empty, vandalised and fenced-off blocks like the area around Port Road did? I understand the benefits of ongoing acquisition of South Road properties in terms of future infrastructure projects but can also understand why it's not always a feasible option - especially as there's no definite funding or timeframe for future upgrades.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1575 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:But can we really expect the state government to purchase every piece of property that is put up for sale on South Road and keep it aside for an unknown period of time? In the case of this old disused car lot I'm not sure what the options would be after the government purchased it. Lease it out as another car lot? Keep it empty for 10 years as South Road gradually becomes a piecemeal eyesore of empty, vandalised and fenced-off blocks like the area around Port Road did? I understand the benefits of ongoing acquisition of South Road properties in terms of future infrastructure projects but can also understand why it's not always a feasible option - especially as there's no definite funding or timeframe for future upgrades.
The entire south Road project is to be finished by 2025. That is only 9 years away. Why allow a developer to come in and build something (especially something that will likely lead to contamination). They could have bought this site and improved the intersection to allow it to flow better before the comprehensive rebuild., For example there are red arrows for turning left. They could have built slip lanes...