Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#61 Post by Pants » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am

Was in the members' and yeah, there was a bit of angst.

I don't think it'll be an issue in future years. They had an on-screen announcement just after the first shot saying what it was and not to be alarmed. You'd think they'd do it before the whole thing started like they do regarding the fireworks and I'm sure they will if it happens again next year.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by Allkai » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am

Pants wrote: You'd think they'd do it before the whole thing started like they do regarding the fireworks and I'm sure they will if it happens again next year.
I think the salute started earlier than expected for whatever reason, so the scheduled message didn't get displayed in time.

The screen said it would start at 7:25, but at least two had gone off by 7:20 by my watch.....

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by ghs » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Adelaide United now top of the table after 13 games without a loss !

The socceroos are playing at the oval on the 24th of March. We could see some A-league finals matches
and possibly the grand final at Adelaide oval in April.

ChillyPhilly

#64 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:53 pm

ghs wrote:Adelaide United now top of the table after 13 games without a loss !

The socceroos are playing at the oval on the 24th of March. We could see some A-league finals matches
14 games ;)

That is certainly possible, but after United's final against Brisbane, I hope the FFA have realised that people voted with their feet. Adelaide Oval is not an advantage to United, Hindmarsh is. The Grand Final by all means could and should be played at Adelaide Oval, but any lead-up finals matches need to be at Hindmarsh.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#65 Post by rockthenation » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:06 pm

ghs wrote:Adelaide United now top of the table after 13 games without a loss !

Imagine a Semi & GF at Adelaide Oval, would be amazing, it's up to the people of Adelaide to make it happen!

Patrick_27

#66 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:46 pm

Great idea! Let's annoy and turn off all of the loyal A-United supporters who have shown up every game this season by holding finals at AO, just so a few families who haven't bothered to show up to any of their other other games can attend.

Waewick

#67 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:22 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Great idea! Let's annoy and turn off all of the loyal A-United supporters who have shown up every game this season by holding finals at AO, just so a few families who haven't bothered to show up to any of their other other games can attend.
what about the cash to the club?

can they build temp stands down at AO? I mean why wouldn't you want more people?

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#68 Post by rockthenation » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Waewick wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Great idea! Let's annoy and turn off all of the loyal A-United supporters who have shown up every game this season by holding finals at AO, just so a few families who haven't bothered to show up to any of their other other games can attend.

can they build temp stands down at AO? I mean why wouldn't you want more people?
Couldn't agree more, the more people watching & supporting Adelaide United the better. And the more local fans that turn up, the bigger our home crowd advantage is!
Unless Hindmarsh gets redeveloped to 25,000 - 30,000 or a new venue is built with that capacity, finals will be at AO.

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#69 Post by kingy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:45 pm

rockthenation wrote: Unless Hindmarsh gets redeveloped to 25,000 - 30,000 or a new venue is built with that capacity, finals will be at AO.
Since the first United game at AO which drew 33,126 their attendences there haven't been amazing.

The Elimination final last year vs. Brisbane only drew 20,155, followed bu the Victory match this year drawing 19,079 for the regular season fixture. The soccer crowds don't like it, and the team loses their home ground advantage (as well as the advantage of having 16k home fans metres from the pitch vs. ~20k up to 50 metres from the boundry).

Only the final would be suitable to be held at Adelaide Oval in my eyes. If it was used for any match other than the final this pitch configuration would be vastly superior (although still not provide the atmosphere of a full Coopers) to what they have used at the soccer matches I have attended at AO. Obviously the Northern End wouldn't be used, however with 3/4 of the Eastern and Western stands with the full Southern stand, the capacity would be ~38,750. A temporary structure could be considered at the northern end if required.

Drawn on the oval is an area roughly as wide as the full grass surface of Hindmarsh, and a regular soccer pitch in length.

Waewick

#70 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:33 pm

rockthenation wrote:
Waewick wrote:

Couldn't agree more, the more people watching & supporting Adelaide United the better. And the more local fans that turn up, the bigger our home crowd advantage is!
Unless Hindmarsh gets redeveloped to 25,000 - 30,000 or a new venue is built with that capacity, finals will be at AO.
what about temp stands at Hindmarsh? get it to 25k for the finals? I mean Clipsal just finished.....

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#71 Post by kingy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Waewick wrote: what about temp stands at Hindmarsh? get it to 25k for the finals? I mean Clipsal just finished.....
It was 20k for the 2000 Olympic Football tournament, You can only fit seats in at the southern corners due to the roads on the northern side.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#72 Post by rockthenation » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:08 pm

kingy wrote:
rockthenation wrote: Unless Hindmarsh gets redeveloped to 25,000 - 30,000 or a new venue is built with that capacity, finals will be at AO.
Since the first United game at AO which drew 33,126 their attendences there haven't been amazing.

The Elimination final last year vs. Brisbane only drew 20,155, followed bu the Victory match this year drawing 19,079 for the regular season fixture. The soccer crowds don't like it, and the team loses their home ground advantage (as well as the advantage of having 16k home fans metres from the pitch vs. ~20k up to 50 metres from the boundry).

Only the final would be suitable to be held at Adelaide Oval in my eyes. If it was used for any match other than the final this pitch configuration would be vastly superior (although still not provide the atmosphere of a full Coopers) to what they have used at the soccer matches I have attended at AO. Obviously the Northern End wouldn't be used, however with 3/4 of the Eastern and Western stands with the full Southern stand, the capacity would be ~38,750. A temporary structure could be considered at the northern end if required.

Drawn on the oval is an area roughly as wide as the full grass surface of Hindmarsh, and a regular soccer pitch in length.
I'd be staggered if we couldn't get 30,000 to a Semi Final.
Also, AO has been pre-booked for all AU finals again this year.
I agree that the Coopers Stadium atmosphere is one of, if not the best in the country. But I remember how loud the crowd (the 33,126 crowd) at AO was when Cirio scored v Victory, it was amazing!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Waewick wrote:

FFA would keep the gate for any finals matches anyway, so Adelaide United would get little, if any, financial advantage playing at Adelaide Oval.

Also, it's already been proven Adelaide Oval does not pull big crowds to the soccer anymore (besides the first game against Melbourne Victory, where people came, saw, and opted not to return).

ChillyPhilly

#74 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Waewick wrote:

FFA would keep the gate for any finals matches anyway, so Adelaide United would get little, if any, financial advantage playing at Adelaide Oval.

Also, it's already been proven Adelaide Oval does not pull big crowds to the soccer anymore (besides the first game against Melbourne Victory, where people came, saw, and opted not to return).
Correct about the FFA getting the gate takings. They do so for all finals matches.

Adelaide Oval offers absolutely zero advantage to United. By all means, have the Grand Final there, but no more.

Also your statement about how United supposedly 'does not pull big crowds' anymore is inaccurate. United pulled close to 13k to their last home game. In addition, Adelaide Oval is just a poor choice of stadium for football and people have voted with their feet.

ChillyPhilly

#75 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Waewick wrote:

Correct about the FFA getting the gate takings. They do so for all finals matches.

Adelaide Oval offers absolutely zero advantage to United. By all means, have the Grand Final there, but no more.

Also your statement about how United supposedly 'does not pull big crowds' anymore is inaccurate. United pulled close to 13k to their last home game. In addition, Adelaide Oval is just a poor choice of stadium for football and people have voted with their feet.