News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Parklands

#361 Post by SRW » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:51 pm

claybro wrote:Happened to be in Adelaide for a wedding on the weekend. :D Was great to see the place looking green after my last visit in January, but now it seems there is the opposite problem of the council not being able to keep up with the mowing. Guys the place looks a mess. Of particular concern is the median on KWS outside the festival centre. As this is the main entry point to the city from the north the long scraggly kikuyu grass is an eyesore. Also the half dead plane trees in that strip. WTF?and whilst I am on it, what the hell is going on with that native grass between the tram lines in KWS in the central city. This should be a more formal planting. West Terrace and SDB boulevard from the airport. Same issues. It continues to amaze me that despite the millions being spent on sprucing up the CBD (and a lot of it looks great) Adelaide is badly let down by what is really just housekeeping issues. As a casual visitor to Adelaide, it really is the small inexpensive things that could make or break the first impression.
I'm not sure I agree that most people place as much importance on it as we do, but I totally agree with your points. It's often just basic maintenance issues that are so obvious it's disappointing that they're constantly overlooked and untended.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#362 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:17 pm

SRW wrote:I'm not sure I agree that most people place as much importance on it as we do, but I totally agree with your points. It's often just basic maintenance issues that are so obvious it's disappointing that they're constantly overlooked and untended.
I can assure you it is well noticed by visitors probably more so than local residents who pass these spots daily. Visitors to the state, do not necessarily know how high office vacancies might be or the unemployment rate of a particular city. But they do notice poorly maintained public spaces, and general safety which involves things like homeless folk on the streets, lighting, rubbish removal and as mentioned well maintained parks and verges. These really are simple, inexpensive quick fixes that lead to a feeling of well being and safety for locals and visitors alike. It shows a civic pride, and can overcome,-even prevent economic malaise.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#363 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:35 pm

From InDaily
Massive parklands tree planting program causes council confusion

A revegetation program presented to the Adelaide City Council would see 135,000 new plants, including more than 1000 new trees, planted in the parklands, but uncertainty and confusion reigns over its $4.1 million price-tag.

The plan would see thousands of plant species planted along the creek running through the south parklands, along with modifications to creek banks to improve safety for nearby children.

The council administration presentation on the project came on the same day that dozens of trees were felled in Rymill Park and Rundle Park to make way for the extended O-Bahn.

Councillors spent some time debating whether there were cheaper options to deliver what was nonetheless described as a “gorgeous” and “magnificent” South Park Lands Creek

But that appears to have been the result of confusion about the status of funding for the five-year revegetation and creek bank safety improvements program.

A council spokesperson told InDaily the council had already approved most of the budget spend on the program as part of its city asset renewal program.

“(The) council has endorsed at the high level the proposed asset renewal program for 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19 of which this project is a part.”

The spokesperson said there had already been a $2.5 million allocation for the program in asset renewal budgets over the next three financial years.

“The rest of the $4.1 million is factored into the 10 year financial plan, however council only endorses a three-year rolling asset renewal program on an annual basis,” the spokesperson said.

“What we are seeking from (the) council is direction on what service standard they would like to apply to this project (basic, high or premium).

“Once we have that direction it is proposed to go to public consultation on council’s preferred option.”

Area councillor Natasha Malani told last night’s meeting that the council was in “tight” budget times and wanted to know the cost of the cheapest workable version of the plan so that the council could avoid creating “expectations” that could not be met by putting the $4.1 million plan out for public consultation.

Fellow area councillor Anne Moran described the program as “delightful” but “too expensive”.

North Ward councillor Phil Martin said he had been on a tour of the proposed revegetation site and urged the council to go out to consultation on the plan immediately.

Councillors were asked by council administration during last night’s meeting to choose between a $4.5 million ‘premium landscaping’ version of the program, or a $4.1 million ‘high standard landscaping’ version, and go out to public consultation on one or the other.

Instead, the council recommended that the master plan be “revised to include the standard option and funding breakdown and time frames”.

Malani told InDaily this morning that “we need to look at a range of options”.

“I think that it can be done over longer than five years,” she said.

“We can never be too prudent (and) we can always … look for cost savings.

“We are looking for long-term, sustainable ways of delivering projects.”

She said it was council’s job to ask questions and get clarification from its administration on council projects.

“In an ideal world, we would pick the premium (version of the program),” she said.

“It looks lovely.”

Malani said the revegetation program was also a public safety measure because of steep, eroded creek banks in the south parklands.

“Do I think it’s a death trap? No, I don’t,” she said. “Is it something we need to look at? Yes it is”.

Martin told InDaily this morning he didn’t know money had been allocated to the program last year.

He said he was surprised there hadn’t yet been a serious injury or death resulting from the steep, eroded creek banks.

“There are serious issues about flood mitigation and public safety that need to be addressed immediately.”

The council will next week reconsider the revised master plan and decide whether to release it for public consultation.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#364 Post by omada » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:40 am

Well, great news ! This one has been kept under wraps, I think it will add a great deal to the Parklands, I hope they begin work soon.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#365 Post by rev » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:26 pm

They cant even maintain what exists in a decent state, and they want to spend $4 million planting more trees...what for? Are they hoping that the new trees will eventually cover up the shambolic state of much of the parklands?

How about spending that $4 million on bringing the parklands up to a standard, that doesn't look like they belong in a really, really low budget horror movie shot on someones iphone.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#366 Post by Goodsy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:38 pm

rev wrote:They cant even maintain what exists in a decent state, and they want to spend $4 million planting more trees...what for? Are they hoping that the new trees will eventually cover up the shambolic state of much of the parklands?

How about spending that $4 million on bringing the parklands up to a standard, that doesn't look like they belong in a really, really low budget horror movie shot on someones iphone.
It's going to cost tens of millions to bring the entire parklands up to standard, $4m is pocket change in comparison

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#367 Post by rev » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:48 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
rev wrote:They cant even maintain what exists in a decent state, and they want to spend $4 million planting more trees...what for? Are they hoping that the new trees will eventually cover up the shambolic state of much of the parklands?

It's going to cost tens of millions to bring the entire parklands up to standard, $4m is pocket change in comparison
It's a start.

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#368 Post by stronic » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm going to chime in on the maintenance, because I do agree with everyone's points. Something in particular I noticed was the selection of Ginkgo trees they planted outside of SAHMRI. Half of them are dead or nearly dead no thanks to the scorching summer heat, it strikes me as odd that such newly established trees aren't getting the care they need. The Ginkgo Biloba is a beautiful tree, but it certainly won't just magically "grow" in Adelaide, they need adequate watering before they are established. I'm happy that proper shade trees have been selected, and not those cop-out Palm trees which add no shade whatsoever to the CBD, but they do need to be looked after.

Llessur2002

#369 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 am

The feedback received on the draft Adelaide Park Lands Management Strategy was released a couple of days ago:

http://dmzweb.adelaidecitycouncil.com/a ... pecial.pdf

It's a pretty lengthy document but makes for some very funny/depressing reading regarding the usual groups who want literally nothing to happen in the vast parklands or in any of the city squares...

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#370 Post by Blimp » Thu May 26, 2016 10:28 am

Trees razed in parklands for Oval upgrade

TREES in the city’s parklands have been cut down as work begins on the upgrade of Adelaide Oval No. 2.

The parklands behind Adelaide Oval’s western grandstands are being redeveloped and Oval 2 expanded to make it suitable for cricket, athletics and football events.

More than a dozen trees will be razed to make way for the project, with chainsawing beginning on Thursday morning.

Under the plan Oval 2 is being extended west towards Montefiore Rd by 15m, forcing the removal of the trees and a walking path..

As part of the project 20 “advanced” trees will be planted.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/the- ... 4514694a54
I avoided the comment section, figuring the parkland association would be waving their fists & sending mean messages regarding this. I also saw a tweet stating that insofar 2 trees have been cut down. Good too see Oval 2 receive some love.

Patrick_27

#371 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Blimp wrote:
Trees razed in parklands for Oval upgrade

TREES in the city’s parklands have been cut down as work begins on the upgrade of Adelaide Oval No. 2.

The parklands behind Adelaide Oval’s western grandstands are being redeveloped and Oval 2 expanded to make it suitable for cricket, athletics and football events.

More than a dozen trees will be razed to make way for the project, with chainsawing beginning on Thursday morning.

Under the plan Oval 2 is being extended west towards Montefiore Rd by 15m, forcing the removal of the trees and a walking path..

As part of the project 20 “advanced” trees will be planted.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/the- ... 4514694a54
I avoided the comment section, figuring the parkland association would be waving their fists & sending mean messages regarding this. I also saw a tweet stating that insofar 2 trees have been cut down. Good too see Oval 2 receive some love.
I f**cking hate The Advertiser... Headline reads: 'Trees razed in parklands for Oval upgrade' instead of 'Works on Adelaide Oval 2 have begun'. What I really hate though is that they've left it until the last line of the article to point out that 20 MATURED trees will replace the dozen that are being removed.

Nathan

#372 Post by Nathan » Thu May 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Early stage artist impression of the Park 25 upgrade (corner of West Tce & Port Rd, opposite the new RAH).
18672938_1576418185736034_8077460613524073598_o.jpg
18672938_1576418185736034_8077460613524073598_o.jpg (442.85 KiB) Viewed 4466 times

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#373 Post by mshagg » Thu May 25, 2017 3:40 pm

I like where they're going with it, although that part of the parklands is in reasonably good knick as it is. Hopefully it means there's appetite to splash a bit of cash around in some of the neglected areas further south as well.

Somewhat typical of our green spaces, there's some heavy duty transport infrastructure standing between park 25 and the people that will want to utilise it!

Llessur2002

#374 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Nathan wrote:Early stage artist impression of the Park 25 upgrade (corner of West Tce & Port Rd, opposite the new RAH).
18672938_1576418185736034_8077460613524073598_o.jpg
That's awesome - I was just thinking the other day that they should do something with that area now that the hospital's due to open.

claybro

#375 Post by claybro » Thu May 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Great to see some attention to a focal point of the parklands. This type of feature should be replicated at all main entry points to the city, instead of the stupid "city gate" idea. Imagine the Main North road entry with this landscaping, Sir Don and Unley road, West terrace etc. Lets hope however, given past experience it does not end up a few clumps of dead native grass, and some purple pipes left unused hanging out of the ground.