[PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $110m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
thecityguy
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 am
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#16 Post by thecityguy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:34 pm

I agree there would be a lot of problems that would need to be addressed, but I think the uniqueness of having a hotel on the water is a great selling point that is worth the extra costs that will come with the location.

As for car parking. They could potentially buy parking spaces in any of the nearby paid/private parking spaces

Also going by the renders. I don't agree that "fisherman will have to walk through the hotel lobby" it looks to me that the hotel is on another level to what looks to be the public access area.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 300 times
Been thanked: 432 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#17 Post by rev » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:12 pm

ghs wrote: There's other problems as well including car parking.

What about the sewage from the toilets in the hotel ? You can't have shit floating in the sea.

What if a wealthy couple from Melbourne drive over and stay in the hotel, where do they
park their expensive Porsche ? On the sand ?

Where do the employees of the hotel park their cars on a weekend in the summer when every man
and his dog is down at Glenelg ?

If the hotel is at the base of the Jetty then every man who wants to do a spot of fishing then needs to
walk through the lobby of an upmarket hotel with their fishing rods ?

A hotel on the jetty where there's no car park and no access by road would be a logistical nightmare.
I could see a restaurant or a bar or café working, but not a hotel.

If a hotel on a jetty was a good idea then why hasn't it been done in Melbourne or Sydney or the Gold coast ?

What type of hotel operator would commit to a project with so many extra issues and expenses ?
Christ all mighty this guy.
This is a vision. It's not even a detailed proposal submitted for assessment yet.
And the resident NIMBY on the forum has already thought of a hundred reasons why this shouldn't go ahead.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5540
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 690 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#18 Post by Will » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:14 pm

ghs wrote:
thecityguy wrote:I'm sure there is a simple solution to the no car access issue.

It could be as easy as a free shuttle/golf buggy type thing to take guests to and from their cars/taxi or the tram


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's other problems as well including car parking.

What about the sewage from the toilets in the hotel ? You can't have shit floating in the sea.

What if a wealthy couple from Melbourne drive over and stay in the hotel, where do they
park their expensive Porsche ? On the sand ?

Where do the employees of the hotel park their cars on a weekend in the summer when every man
and his dog is down at Glenelg ?

If the hotel is at the base of the Jetty then every man who wants to do a spot of fishing then needs to
walk through the lobby of an upmarket hotel with their fishing rods ?

A hotel on the jetty where there's no car park and no access by road would be a logistical nightmare.
I could see a restaurant or a bar or café working, but not a hotel.

If a hotel on a jetty was a good idea then why hasn't it been done in Melbourne or Sydney or the Gold coast ?

What type of hotel operator would commit to a project with so many extra issues and expenses ?

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most insipid comments I have ever read on this forum. It is this kind of risk aversion that has stalled progress for too long in this state.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1595
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#19 Post by ghs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:08 pm

So I have a few realistic problems with this development. Instead of being negative
about my comments, how about you provide some answers to my questions ?
As for car parking. They could potentially buy parking spaces in any of the nearby paid/private parking spaces
This is not an adequate solution as it would just mean less car parks available for the locals.

A new hotel means extra people staying in Glenelg which should be accommodated with extra car parks.

There is a restaurant at the end of the Jetty in Geelong, this type of setup would be my preference
rather then a hotel.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5713
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 778 times
Been thanked: 1417 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#20 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:31 pm

I think the Burj al Arab hotel in Dubai is managing their guests' floating waste just fine.

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3161
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 629 times
Contact:

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#21 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:34 pm

It's not like it would be a massive hotel, like The Grand. You're probably looking at a dozen or so rooms going by the renders, maybe two dozen if there is some smaller ones. A valet service to a small off-site car park nearby would be pretty easy.

I'm pretty sure they'll think about services like plumbing and electricity when building the jetty...

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3161
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 195 times
Been thanked: 629 times
Contact:

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#22 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:36 pm

rev wrote:
Nathan wrote:The hotel is key — it would be a destination hotel (people would come to Adelaide/Glenelg specifically to stay there).

Who is up for the cash though? Libs say they'll chip in $20m, but who then is responsible for the rest? If it's private investment, will the new jetty be given to the public or will the entire structure become privately owned?
The Libs aren't going to contribute shit.
Read the rest of that sentence. They've given them selves an escape clause.
Their claim they'll put up 20 million if they win the election is just a way to get people to vote for them.
They've been against every positive development in this state for years, they've come up with no plans or visions, just a hollow plan with no substance, and now suddenly they'll fund tourist infrastructure? Give me a break. They aren't trying very hard.
Oh, I have no doubt the Libs promise is hot air. But even in the unlikely event that they do, there's still at a minimum $90m unaccounted for.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3465
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#23 Post by Waewick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:20 pm

rev wrote:
Nathan wrote:The hotel is key — it would be a destination hotel (people would come to Adelaide/Glenelg specifically to stay there).

Who is up for the cash though? Libs say they'll chip in $20m, but who then is responsible for the rest? If it's private investment, will the new jetty be given to the public or will the entire structure become privately owned?
The Libs aren't going to contribute shit.
Read the rest of that sentence. They've given them selves an escape clause.
Their claim they'll put up 20 million if they win the election is just a way to get people to vote for them.
They've been against every positive development in this state for years, they've come up with no plans or visions, just a hollow plan with no substance, and now suddenly they'll fund tourist infrastructure? Give me a break. They aren't trying very hard.


From the images it seems part of this will be below the water? I guess with the natural movement of sand already disturbed it wont make much of a difference hell it may even make things better :lol:
The same as Labor. Honestly they've conned this state as much as the Libs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5418
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 320 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#24 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:29 pm

ghs wrote: If a hotel on a jetty was a good idea then why hasn't it been done in Melbourne or Sydney or the Gold coast ?
:roll:

Personally I think the vision is a fantastic idea and has strong potential to become a national tourist attraction, doing wonders for Glenelg and the state economy.

This is what SA needs, big and unique ideas. With hopefully money to match.
Last edited by crawf on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4063
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 300 times
Been thanked: 432 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#25 Post by rev » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:32 pm

ghs wrote:So I have a few realistic problems with this development. Instead of being negative
about my comments, how about you provide some answers to my questions ?
As for car parking. They could potentially buy parking spaces in any of the nearby paid/private parking spaces
This is not an adequate solution as it would just mean less car parks available for the locals.

A new hotel means extra people staying in Glenelg which should be accommodated with extra car parks.

There is a restaurant at the end of the Jetty in Geelong, this type of setup would be my preference
rather then a hotel.
Every nimby thinks their gripe is realistic.

Problem here is that there is no proposal for a hotel.
All we have is a vision to lengthen and widen the jetty at a cost of $110 million, which is hoped will serve as the catalyst for development on it such as a hotel, restaurants etc.

Nothing has even been submitted for the jetty extension.

All we do have now is a private group that's paid for some fancy renderings of what things might look like going to the Advettiser and giving them "the plans"(lol) in order to put pressure on governments to help fund their project. Gee whizz couldn't be because we are looking at a federal election in a few months time could it...

You should also consider that in the same way some people get upset with the way I word my posts people get upset with your constant negativity. You can change or accept. I accept people getting annoyed with me. I'm not here to please you and tip toe around your feelings.

Now back to topic..until we see some actual details on this vision, we can't comment on such things like car parking. Because they want to expand the jetty to attract a hotel chain to build a boutique hotel on it. So we are a long way off even knowing any details about a hotel on the jetty.
Parking would be an obvious issue that would logically be dealt with when and if a hotel was proposed.
And we don't know if a hotel would be built at the end of the jetty or the start of it or in the middle.

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#26 Post by ml69 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:40 am

It looks exciting, but does anyone else think that $110M for a big jetty extension is a bit rich??

floplo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#27 Post by floplo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:35 am

ml69 wrote:It looks exciting, but does anyone else think that $110M for a big jetty extension is a bit rich??
not in comparison to a $40M footbridge....

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 596
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 107 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#28 Post by bits » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:36 am

I thought the Glenelg jetty has had a history of being damaged by severe storms. Along with all other jettys along the same coast line.

I dont know how well you can build something on a surface with such a variable height. You would need the buildings 10m in the air or they will get flooded at some point.

Maybe they could build a huge break water a mile out, but what would that mean for the environment and what cost to build.

Also I do not see the huge wow factor of a business on a jetty vs a business on land with water frontage either.
After a few years of people being interested in how the jetty idea works I think all the additional costs, long distances from any mode of transport and same-same feeling to all other water frontage will likely send everything bankrupt.

If we want a hotel and restaurants there I think we should invest in reclaiming the land.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2022
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#29 Post by claybro » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:48 pm

bits wrote:I thought the Glenelg jetty has had a history of being damaged by severe storms. Along with all other jettys along the same coast line.

I dont know how well you can build something on a surface with such a variable height. You would need the buildings 10m in the air or they will get flooded at some point.

Maybe they could build a huge break water a mile out, but what would that mean for the environment and what cost to build.

Also I do not see the huge wow factor of a business on a jetty vs a business on land with water frontage either.
After a few years of people being interested in how the jetty idea works I think all the additional costs, long distances from any mode of transport and same-same feeling to all other water frontage will likely send everything bankrupt.

If we want a hotel and restaurants there I think we should invest in reclaiming the land.
All over the world there are large piers, multi storey piers, amusement parks on end of piers. Not sure why we should assume the climate in Adelaide, in a fairly shallow sheltered gulf should present a problem. If previous piers have blown away, in the record "hurricanes" of the 20's- 40's, then they should have been built better.-Or rebuilt better instead of just abandoning the idea. They would be a real drawcard now, particularly from an historic point of view. The amount of extra traffic generated in the bay, by having boats pull up to the attached berths, pleasure cruises, day cruises to KI, snorkelling from artificial reefs, jet boat thrill rides, parasailing etc would be a boom for Glenelg and not just for the pier itself.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#30 Post by Jaymz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:06 pm

ml69 wrote:It looks exciting, but does anyone else think that $110M for a big jetty extension is a bit rich??
I was going to say the opposite, looking at the renders there seems to be a fair bit going on, not to mention the logistics involved in
building such a thing in that location.......... also, $100 million doesn't really go very far these days. Governments spend that
much like we spend $50 notes :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest