SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East End

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East

#61 Post by how good is he » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:01 am

Had a look at the 3 likely places for new tram stops along North Tce. 1st likely at Gawler Pl/War memorial and 3rd at East Tce opp. old RAH /Botanic Gdns. Only one that really could be discussed is whether better to have 2nd tram stop at Puteney St opp Adelaide Uni or at next intersection at Frome St so closer to Uni SA, zoo and the new high school. Thoughts?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by ml69 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:42 am

how good is he wrote:Had a look at the 3 likely places for new tram stops along North Tce. 1st likely at Gawler Pl/War memorial and 3rd at East Tce opp. old RAH /Botanic Gdns. Only one that really could be discussed is whether better to have 2nd tram stop at Puteney St opp Adelaide Uni or at next intersection at Frome St so closer to Uni SA, zoo and the new high school. Thoughts?
Best spot is Cnr North Tce and Pulteney St, on the eastern side. It doesn't interfere with any right turning traffic, and also easily accessible to Frome St.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by fishinajar » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:38 am

how good is he wrote:Had a look at the 3 likely places for new tram stops along North Tce. 1st likely at Gawler Pl/War memorial and 3rd at East Tce opp. old RAH /Botanic Gdns. Only one that really could be discussed is whether better to have 2nd tram stop at Puteney St opp Adelaide Uni or at next intersection at Frome St so closer to Uni SA, zoo and the new high school. Thoughts?
For the 3: East of Gawler, Pulteney and Paxtons Walk next to Ayers House where the existing pedestrian crossing is.
Side note: I would have thought that 2 might be better: west of Charles (opposite Museum), west of Frome (shared with eventual city/unley links). An additional stop could eventually go on corner of East Tce and Rundle rd on the eastlink.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#64 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:41 am

ml69 wrote:
Best spot is Cnr North Tce and Pulteney St, on the eastern side. It doesn't interfere with any right turning traffic, and also easily accessible to Frome St.
Sounds pretty logical to me. I'd be keen to see your thoughts mocked up on a map to make it easier to visualise.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by ml69 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:03 pm

fishinajar wrote:
For the 3: East of Gawler, Pulteney and Paxtons Walk next to Ayers House where the existing pedestrian crossing is.
I doubt Paxton Walk will be the eventual stop location. This would mean that the tram line in this extension terminates at the pedestrian crossing, which is highly unlikely.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by jk1237 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:22 pm

ml69 wrote:
fishinajar wrote:
I doubt Paxton Walk will be the eventual stop location. This would mean that the tram line in this extension terminates at the pedestrian crossing, which is highly unlikely.
why would that be unlikely? I highly doubt it would stop within a few cm of East Tce because it will interrupt the 2 turning lanes into East Tce for the SUV's to get to the eastern suburbs via Rundle Rd

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by how good is he » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:03 pm

I don't agree as its a logical stop to the East End, Botanic Gdns as well as whatever happens at old RAH. Plus any extension will have to use at least one if not both lanes anyway...Unless they allow cars and tram to use the same road.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by AG » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Removing the eastbound bus lane would create space for the tram lines. One west bound lane is likely to be lost as well.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Is there issues with this proposal as it was meant to have started by now.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Ben wrote:Is there issues with this proposal as it was meant to have started by now.
I think early works may start this year, but major construction won't start until next year. From what I understand, major construction will start in June 2017.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#71 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:05 am

There has been *some* work carried out to date - it looks like quite a lot of services have been mapped along North Terrace and I have seen surveyors out and about on several occasions, could be unrelated to the tram extension of course...

Waewick

#72 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:09 pm

I always thgought this was going to start when Obahn was finished?

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by adelaide transport » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:34 pm

According to the Rail Commissioner's report the AdelLink extension is due for completion in December 2017.FlindersLink extension from Tonsley to Flinders Medical Centre is due for completion in December 2018.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:10 pm

OK but when is the tram extension officially starting?

Waewick

#75 Post by Waewick » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:33 pm

I forgot about the Flinders link.