[U/C] Adelaide Botanic High School | Frome Road

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Adelaide Botanic High School | Frome Road

#1 Post by PeFe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:44 pm

From The Advertiser
New Adelaide city high school to cost $100 million and take further 250 students
THE new Adelaide city high school will have an extra $15 million investment from the State Government to boost its capacity by 250 students.
The Frome Rd school will now cost $100 million and cater for 1250 students. It will open in Term 1, 2019.
Advertiser.com.au can also reveal the first artist impressions of the school, which will be a refurbishment of the UniSA Reid Building linked by a glass atrium to a new six-storey building with a rooftop terrace.
The state’s first “vertical school” will have five rooms that cantilever from the buildings into the atrium, which students will cross on different levels on four bridges.
“The concept design is modern and exciting, and sits beautifully within the parklands,” Education Minister Susan Close said.

Full Article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 212126080c
Sorry I don't know how to embed the video.....I am sure one of you will do that for me.....

Nathan

[U/C] Re: New Adelaide High School Campus

#2 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 pm

InDaily had the YouTube embed, instead of the shitty newscorp video player.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Looks great, that actually makes me want to go back to school [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Norman wrote:Looks great, that actually makes me want to go back to school [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]
I'd go there. Looks great and only a few metres from home! [SMILING FACE LOCKED IN GAOL]
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:06 pm

I note there's been no further mention of the expanding of the school zone that was supposed to accompany the new campus.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Adelaide councillor Anne Moran 'shocked' by CBD high school plans
The size and location of a new CBD high school has shocked an Adelaide City councillor who says the inclusion of just three parking spots is "ludicrous".

The State Government yesterday revealed its plans to refurbish University of South Australia's seven-storey Reid Building on Frome Road into a health and science-focused high school. It is expected to open in term one of 2019 and an extra $15 million will be spent to increase the school's capacity by 250 students to 1,250.

Councillor Anne Moran told 891 ABC Adelaide the Government had only allowed for two disabled parks and one park for the headmaster. "If anybody's been to a school recently ... all the kids drive, some catch buses, very few in the inner city ride their bike because they tend to live a long way away. There will be teachers that live out further in unserviced (by public transport) areas and kids that do too. It's just ridiculous."

But she said she was mostly shocked by the Government's plan to expand the school onto parklands. "I think the biggest shock, yet again, is the Government has taken free land from the parklands and hasn't bought something in the square mile," Ms Moran said. "School is an educational institution, nobody would have complained about one of those (Royal Adelaide Hospital) buildings being taken and used for Adelaide High. We would have been all applauding that."

Ms Moran said the council was in support of a second campus, but would have preferred it to be at a different location.

Government 'should have told the truth'

She said she was disappointed with the way the Government communicated with the council. "I'm not saying we wouldn't [have approved it], we are really keen to have another campus, we would rather on the mail exchange site next to the school," Ms Moran said. "Council is not about not allowing buildings that are there to be used, it is pretty much against building new buildings on virgin park land, but of course the Government didn't mention that part of it."

Ms Moran said the Government should have at least consulted with the council on any potential problems that might arise from building the school in the proposed area, such as sacred Aboriginal burial sites and contamination. "The Government, really, they assume that we were going to say no I think to everything, so they just tell us the things they think we'll say yes to, which is not a good way to communicate. "If nothing else, the Government should have at least asked us 'do you know of any problems here', told us the truth and let us help."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-18/a ... ns/7761422

Hey Moran, this might also SHOCK you, but there's a multi level car park right next door that's going to be empty when the hospital moves out. The statement that "all the kids drive" is bonkers considering that at least half would be under the required age. There's already a building on this site. The site is surrounded with green space, and is a short walk to the Adelaide Uni Playing Grounds over the footbridge.

Let's work out the details and build this. Then move on to what to do with the rest of the old RAH site ASAP.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#7 Post by claybro » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Anne Moron is comparing this to a suburban school where in fact many kids (parents) do drive to school. Completely different scenario here as it is in the CBD with many more PT options. There are a huge number of kids that go to Adelaide High by PT. I imagine most students for this new school would be from the inner Northern suburbs or inner East, so in fact public transport would likely be a faster journey than by car. Re her other "problem", as there is already a bloody great building on this site of supposed pristine parklands, well?????? next.

ghs

#8 Post by ghs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:36 pm

claybro wrote:Anne Moron is comparing this to a suburban school where in fact many kids (parents) do drive to school. Completely different scenario here as it is in the CBD with many more PT options. There are a huge number of kids that go to Adelaide High by PT. I imagine most students for this new school would be from the inner Northern suburbs or inner East, so in fact public transport would likely be a faster journey than by car. Re her other "problem", as there is already a bloody great building on this site of supposed pristine parklands, well?????? next.
If the parents are driving the kids to school then they'll be dropping the kids off and then there's no need for car parking.

The state government probably didn't communicate with the council because they know that the council is useless.

Patrick_27

#9 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:43 am

ghs wrote:
claybro wrote:Anne Moron is comparing this to a suburban school where in fact many kids (parents) do drive to school. Completely different scenario here as it is in the CBD with many more PT options. There are a huge number of kids that go to Adelaide High by PT. I imagine most students for this new school would be from the inner Northern suburbs or inner East, so in fact public transport would likely be a faster journey than by car. Re her other "problem", as there is already a bloody great building on this site of supposed pristine parklands, well?????? next.
If the parents are driving the kids to school then they'll be dropping the kids off and then there's no need for car parking.

The state government probably didn't communicate with the council because they know that the council is useless.
I'm not against this proposal, but c'mon... Let's stop pretending that more parking isn't required. A lot of students and staff WILL drive, it's a undeniable fact. Should they have to pay unreasonable daily rates to park on the street, and potentially face fines? No, of-course not; why should they? When you consider that high school students almost everywhere else in Adelaide have access to on-campus parking OR free parking around their school. Even Adelaide HS offers more parking for it's staff and students. Three carparks is absolutely laughable. I'm not suggesting their build a multi level carpark on the campus, nor do I suggest keeping the multi-level carpark in the nearby RAH. But why isn't there consideration for an underground carpark within the footprint of the new building or cheap annual parking permits for street parking with the ACC (something that should have been negotiated ages ago, rather than making enemies with the council).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:55 am

I went to school in the CBD. I don't remember anyone in my year level driving to school, especially as there was no free parking near it. That did not impede on anyone getting a decent education.

Algernon

#11 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 am

She's a local councillor. Sooking about car parks keeps her relevant.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by mshagg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 am

Patrick_27 wrote: But why isn't there consideration for an underground carpark within the footprint of the new building
Probably because it costs a lot of money to dig a hole and line it with concrete, purely for people to store their personal property during the day?

It's ridiculous to suggest an inner city school needs to accommodate car parking. If they are inclined to select single occupant vehicles as their mode of transport then they can pay for it like every one else does. There's what, 50,000 students at Uni of Adelaide and UniSA? Perhaps we should build underground car parks for them and their faculties as well?

I did like how Moran claimed kids don't ride bikes to school after voting to downgrade the nearby infrastructure on frome st.

Maybe the ACC can just dish them on-street permits and they can leave their cars in the bike lane all day.

Llessur2002

#13 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:51 am

I think the car parking issue is being blown out of all proportion.

a) It's a high school. If a student can successfully get there between the ages of 13 and 16 without a car then they can probably manage the last two years as well. If not then they'll be no different from the tens of thousands of UniSA and Uni Adelaide students who choose to drive into the CBD each day and have to find a park.

b) Why should teachers be any different from the hundred thousand or more CBD workers who don't have a parking space provided free by their employer? Hundreds of staff members at the adjoining UoA campus manage just fine.

c) It's the bloody CBD. Every public transport route in Adelaide starts and ends here. It's not like we're talking about a new high school out in Ceduna or something. Jeeze.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claybro

#14 Post by claybro » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:I think the car parking issue is being blown out of all proportion.

a) It's a high school. If a student can successfully get there between the ages of 13 and 17 without a car then they can probably manage the last two years as well. If not then they'll be no different from the tens of thousands of UniSA and Uni Adelaide students who choose to drive into the CBD each day and have to find a park.

b) Why should teachers be any different from the hundred thousand or more CBD workers who don't have a parking space provided free by their employer? Hundreds of staff members at the adjoining UoA campus manage just fine.

c) It's the bloody CBD. Every public transport route in Adelaide starts and ends here. It's not like we're talking about a new high school out in Ceduna or something. Jeeze.
Well put. Granted public transport between suburbs is not good. But into the CBD there is no excuse. Why does every proposal in Adelaide seem to revolve around the car?

Patrick_27

#15 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:13 pm

mshagg wrote:There's what, 50,000 students at Uni of Adelaide and UniSA? Perhaps we should build underground car parks for them and their faculties as well?
If you're going to try and take down another person's argument, at-least get your facts straight. There are roughly 18,000 students spread across the city's three major university campuses, all of which have cheap parking available to students and staff. There could be much more provided, but my point is they at-least have some parking available on campus. Three car-parks for a school of 1,200+ people is a complete fuck-up. Just imagine the hell this part of the city is going to experience on a regular weekday when you have university students, high school students, staff and office workers trying to find parking. Then add all of the people who will be visiting the old RAH site with whatever they decide to build on there. The worst part of this, is that they expect in a population of 1,200 students that there is only going to be a need for two disabled parking spots. Oh, and where are parents (legally) meant to drop their children off?