Aldi Distribution Centre | Regency Park $70 Million

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
duke
High Rise Poster!

Re: Aldi Distribution Centre | Regency Park $70 Million

#61 Post by duke » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Personally, I can't wait to watch the inner-south locals reject Aldi and it's offerings. :wink:
"Pack my own bags?!? How uncouth!"

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:55 pm

duke wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Personally, I can't wait to watch the inner-south locals reject Aldi and it's offerings. :wink:
"Pack my own bags?!? How uncouth!"
I always love this objection about shopping at Aldi - Coles and Woolies want you do this anyway with their self serve checkouts. Notice a few Foodland's (including Mitcham I believe) have self serves too.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:48 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wayno wrote:just plonking here as it's presumably Aldi related.

Driving past today i noticed the Kingswood Medical Clinic and adjacent gym (176-200 Belair Rd Hawthorn) is about to be demolished. Fencing all around and salvage company signs posted. I believe this is an Aldi in the making? If so it'll be a traffic nightmare on that corner.
You're correct, an Aldi in the making. What a difference a few days can make, there were still people using that building late last week. Dare I say it, Aldi's aim with this store's location is to shake up Foodland in Mitcham Shopping Centre, perhaps even put them in a position where they can nab the floor space that Woodland currently have within the centre. Personally, I can't wait to watch the inner-south locals reject Aldi and it's offerings. :wink:
Mid-demolition now. Not a great photo, just waiting at the nearby lights.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#64 Post by Vee » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:35 pm

The Aldi site at Hawthorn is an awkward site re traffic congestion, its relatively small site and proximity to Mitcham SC across the road.

Narrow roads/footpaths, sets of traffic lights in close proximity, traffic turns entering/exiting Angas Road, compact site and location opposite an existing shopping centre with car parking limitations are likely to increase congestion and hassles.

Three supermarkets? Woolies should survive the competition but the smaller Foodland in the Mitcham SC could go under, as Patrick suggested. Not sure about a scenario for infill.

It will be interesting to see the impact on traffic in the vicinity of Aldi Hawthorn and any build ups on Belair Road back to Cross Road and back to Blythewood Rd and impacts of changed traffic light sequences on adjacent routes plus the impact on Mitcham SC and local residents.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Does anyone know the relative size of the new Aldis that have opened at Marion, West Lakes and Kilburn?

Went to Marion last night for the first time in months and had a quick peek in the Aldi store. I know they only carry a limit range but I was still really surprised at how small it was.

Is it a smaller store, or are the ones at West lakes and Kilburn (the two that are closer to me) any bigger?

Will give it a try sometime - am interested to see if I could feasibly do a week's shop there or whether I'd still need to supplement it with a trip to Coles to pick up the bits Aldi don't stock...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Does anyone know the relative size of the new Aldis that have opened at Marion, West Lakes and Kilburn?

Went to Marion last night for the first time in months and had a quick peek in the Aldi store. I know they only carry a limit range but I was still really surprised at how small it was.

Is it a smaller store, or are the ones at West lakes and Kilburn (the two that are closer to me) any bigger?

Will give it a try sometime - am interested to see if I could feasibly do a week's shop there or whether I'd still need to supplement it with a trip to Coles to pick up the bits Aldi don't stock...
All Aldis are the same size, and only stock the basics. Depending on what you buy you may need to go to another supermarket to supplement your shopping.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:38 pm

I haven't been to the marion one but they are generally quite small. All the southern ones (noarlunga seaford woodcroft) are all about the same size.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Does anyone know the relative size of the new Aldis that have opened at Marion, West Lakes and Kilburn?

West Lakes and Marion are the standard size for an Aldi.

It really depends on each person's needs whether you can do a full shop at Aldi or need to complement it elsewhere. I can do a full shop there pretty much, but many people need to complement it elsewhere.