[APP] Peregrine HQ | 38m | 8 levels | Kensington

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[APP] Peregrine HQ | 38m | 8 levels | Kensington

#1 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:03 pm

One of SA’s richest families, On The Run owners the Shahins, plans new seven-storey HQ in Kensington
The Advertiser / Messenger News
October 2, 2016 8:32pm

A SEVEN-STORY building with penthouse suites is planned for Peregrine Corporation’s head office in Kensington, a new report has revealed.

The Development Assessment Commission has released new details about the Shahin family-owned company’s $50 million plan for the corner of The Parade and Portrush Rd. The new DAC report stated the owners of the On The Run franchise were planning a seven-storey “mixed-use building” in place of its one-storey head office.

Plans include offices on six levels and “accommodation suites”, a restaurant, gym and pool on the seventh floor. Close to 300 carparks over four levels are planned for the site according to the report.

On The Run chief operating officer Michaela Webster said regional staff, and interstate and international visitors would stay in the accommodation suites.

In November, Peregrine Corporation announced plans for a “multi-storey, mixed use” development to cater for up to 400 workers at its head office — but did not disclose details about the proposed building’s height.

The State Government declared the project a development of “economic significance to the state”, meaning Planning Minister John Rau would assess the plans directly. Since 2008, 29 projects in SA have been assessed as major developments, including the $1.8 billion Port River desalination plant and $600 million Holdfast Shores development.

Peregrine Corporation’s Sam Shahin. Pic: Mike Burton
As part of the application process, Peregrine Corporation has submitted a development report — including details on potential traffic, as well as economic and employment effects — to the Minister, with a three-week public consultation period expected to start “shortly”.

Ms Webster expected work to start mid next year, subject to approval.

Norwood, Payneham & St Peters Mayor Robert Bria first learnt of the proposed development’s height when contacted by the Eastern Courier Messenger.

He was “frustrated” at the lack of public information about the project.

“Time will tell if this type of development is appropriate for this site, given it is at a major intersection,” Mr Bria said.

Buildings of up to two storeys are allowed in the area — which is zoned for business use — under NP&SP’s planning rules.

Mr Rau has not yet responded to requests for comment.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[APP] Re: [PRO] Peregrine Corporation HQ | 7 levels | Kensington

#2 Post by claybro » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:50 pm

"buildings of up to 2 storeys are allowed in the area"....

What about the 7 storey water tower building on the opposite corner Mr Bria?

Nathan

#3 Post by Nathan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:22 pm

claybro wrote:"buildings of up to 2 storeys are allowed in the area"....

What about the 7 storey water tower building on the opposite corner Mr Bria?
Let's not forget the church and the hall on the other two corners, both of which have a spires considerably more than 2 storeys high.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Dvious » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Here is the only render i have available.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Blimp » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:22 pm

I've always driven past their current HQ and thought to myself that its quite daggy by their standards.

On the topic of 2 storey height limit, I believe there's apartments in the works for the adjacent corner? I dont have an issue with the height in this locality.

ghs

#6 Post by ghs » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:07 pm

A SEVEN-STORY building with penthouse suites is planned for Peregrine Corporation’s head office in Kensington, a new report has revealed.
Honestly, why is it that so many people can't spell 'storey' ?
“Time will tell if this type of development is appropriate for this site, given it is at a major intersection,” Mr Bria said.
FFS, is it not possible to build 7 level buildings at major intersections ??

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:48 am

I have no real issue with the height or location - the Parade will be trending towards this sort of density anyway. But doesn't 300 car parks sound like a lot?
The State Government declared the project a development of “economic significance to the state”, meaning Planning Minister John Rau would assess the plans directly. Since 2008, 29 projects in SA have been assessed as major developments, including the $1.8 billion Port River desalination plant and $600 million Holdfast Shores development.
What's the Port River desalination plant? I guess the actual one at Port Stanvac wasn't worth mentioning...
Keep Adelaide Weird

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by victorious80 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 am

Finally...my chance to be a NIMBY as this one is about 100m from my house!

Unfortunately, I have read through the DA application and I cant quite find anything to complain about... currently the majority of Peregrine workers park in our street all day, so the 300 car parks is a huge positive (the DA application also details a large number of bike racks which hopefully will be utilised by the workers)...the development allows for future tram line upgrade down the Parade...the traffic modelling indicates that traffic down the Parade and through Kensington will not be severely impacted... and the architecture is reasonably attractive. Once the Bath apartments and the Nuova apartments are built, this little intersection will be buzzing!

I must therefore disappoint my local residents association (who actually do a lot of good in our area but will no doubt oppose this one), and let them know that I will not be participating in the inevitable pitchfork rally.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by how good is he » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Hope it gets approved asap. How many levels of underground carparking & are the plans available on line/any link?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Looks pretty awesome. If the tram line happens in the next couple of years. This area will be very Melbournesque

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Splashmo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Happy to see this sort of development go ahead in our inner suburbs. And I think it's a more appropriate location for offices than apartments, given the proximity to the traffic (the main problem I have with the apartment proposal across the road).

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by victorious80 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:30 am

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/property-a ... kensington

try the link above. otherwise just search for "DAC Peregrine Kensington" and you'll find it.

Waewick

#13 Post by Waewick » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:39 pm

i woul be astounded if this didn't get through, seems insane that in an economy such as yours this would have been a no brainer.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Regardless wether the economy is in a bad shape or not, we shouldn't compromise on new buildings meeting the basic building codes and meeting most of the development policies of the area. That said, it looks like a great design.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by zippySA » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:51 pm

And wow - the scale of it - shows how cigarettes and petrol are immune to the economy so no worries there for them!