[COM] 11 Frome Street | 138m | 37 Levels | Crowne Plaza / Adelaidean | New tallest

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | ~120m & 70m | 36 & 21 Levels

#166 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:15 pm

According to this weeks messenger the Rhino room and associated buildings will close by May next year to allow for demolition...

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#167 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Ben wrote:According to this weeks messenger the Rhino room and associated buildings will close by May next year to allow for demolition...
The Messenger bending the facts; Eckersley's will close in December/January, the Rhino Room/Urban Cow/Howling Owl have been giving their marching orders for May, demolition wouldn't start until December. What a fucking waste. The next time I hear the Premier or Opposition Leader (or even the Greens, for that matter) beat their chest about their passion for the Arts, I'll happily remind them of the fact that they have done next to nothing (going so far as to turn their backs) in the way of even offering a resolution for the relocation of this facility. Let this be the last venue of its kind that suffers at the hands of greedy developers and their piece of shit developments, I'm again reminded of why Melbourne is a better city.

metro
Legendary Member!

#168 Post by metro » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Melbourne is a better city.
Go to Melbourne if you love it so much. No greedy developers and their shit developments there :lol:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#169 Post by Will » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Hold on, am I missing something? Are the Rhino Room/Howling Owl and Urban Cow Studio government owned enterprises?

If so, then I call upon the government to help relocate these enterprises.

If not, then why should the government intervene? These are private businesses. What's stopping them finding a new location? Why do they need government intervention?

Patrick, I wonder whether you would have the same opinion and use such emotive words such as "greedy developers", were there a tyre shop or camping equipment shop on the site? Would you be advocating the government help these hypothetical businesses relocate?

And the comment about Melbourne is bizarre. Melbourne is facing an oversupply of apartments. Obviously there are no greedy developers there! :roll:

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#170 Post by how good is he » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:56 pm

I think the biggest challenge is economic. The arts/live music venues rent they can afford (for the large space they require for maybe a 2-3 nights per week) is well below the commercial sqm rates for offices, residential esp. in the city. Further to find venues that are large enough and also sympathetic to neighbouring uses is hard. Ideally city fringe warehouse/industrial areas may be the best solution. Areas around Thebarton (ie the Uni Adelaide site - just sold) could make an ideal precinct. Image live bands in character warehouses combined with complementary businesses (think businesses like the annual Beer&BBQ festival at Wayville). The Pt Adelaide woolstores could be another ideal precinct (but possibly too far away for many).

Llessur2002

#171 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:05 am

how good is he wrote:Ideally city fringe warehouse/industrial areas may be the best solution. Areas around Thebarton (ie the Uni Adelaide site - just sold) could make an ideal precinct. Image live bands in character warehouses
Hopefully this pretty much describes the proposed new live entertainment venue - Warehouse 5 - on River Street in Hindmarsh. Haven't heard anything in a while about the progress though, hopefully it's still coming...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#172 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Let this be the last venue of its kind that suffers at the hands of greedy developers and their piece of shit developments, I'm again reminded of why Melbourne is a better city.
Err.. Melbourne has demolished far more heritage structures than Adelaide. Some pretty significant.

There is no doubt the Rhino Room/Howling Owl are popular venues, though the benefits this multi-level complex will be bring to the city far out weigh them. Appearance wise, there is nothing remotely attractive about this city block. It's an eyesore compared to the rest of the East End.

Hopefully both venues can find a new better home.
metro wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Melbourne is a better city.
Go to Melbourne if you love it so much. No greedy developers and their shit developments there :lol:

I actually love this photo :P. Whole new city skyline built in the last 10 years, with a heap more to come. Crazy

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#173 Post by mshagg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:55 pm

how good is he wrote:The Pt Adelaide woolstores could be another ideal precinct (but possibly too far away for many).
Whilst we're fetishising Melbourne, it's worth noting that cultural venues there predominantly exist in the inner suburbs, not in the CBD, no doubt a reflection of the economic and planning realities that capital cities face. The romantic notion that collins street is full of dive bars, metal gigs and stand up comedy is an inaccurate one.
Patrick_27 wrote: The next time I hear the Premier or Opposition Leader (or even the Greens, for that matter) beat their chest about their passion for the Arts, I'll happily remind them of the fact that they have done next to nothing (going so far as to turn their backs) in the way of even offering a resolution for the relocation of this facility. .
Your passion is admirable, but you need to appreciate that to others you just come across like any other 'friends of' group that rails against a proposal because it might upset some ducks at a local pond. You're projecting a personal perspective onto an entire city of people, not all of whom share your world view. It would be a similarly gross injustice for government to pander to a special interest group, as it is when they pander to the money of developers.

The Beagle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#174 Post by The Beagle » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:52 pm

I'll just leave this here for Patrick...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/call- ... s4a5o.html

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#175 Post by Ben » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:18 am

Well its official. This would be our new tallest. Official height is 133.55m and the second tower 75m.

The documents are online now as this is expected to be approved at Thursday meeting.

Plans are here:

http://dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_ ... part_2.pdf

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 11-27 Frome Street | 134m & 75m | 36 & 21 Levels

#176 Post by Splashmo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 pm

While the "annex" looks almost prison-like, I'd be quite glad to see this one go ahead - and hopefully one day will be surpassed in height by something properly visionary.

Algernon

#177 Post by Algernon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:39 pm

Ben was close to bang on with the 120m estimate. Going by the plans the height to roof is around 119m then the lift core/plant takes it to 134m. It's uncommon for lift/plant to be included in overall building height unless it has bulk or is architectural feature so here's hoping it gets some good treatment. If it's just a concrete box it will be total bollocks. Not something you'd notice from the street. But on the skyline would stick out like dog's balls like the lift cores on Prima/Pearl in Southbank or Vision Tower also in Melbs. Wouldn't complain if ctbuh recorded this as about 122m (height to fins on facade) which is what you're seeing from the street.

norwood
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#178 Post by norwood » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:44 pm

Algernon wrote:Ben was close to bang on with the 120m estimate. Going by the plans the height to roof is around 119m then the lift core/plant takes it to 134m. It's uncommon for lift/plant to be included in overall building height unless it has bulk or is architectural feature so here's hoping it gets some good treatment. If it's just a concrete box it will be total bollocks. Not something you'd notice from the street. But on the skyline would stick out like dog's balls like the lift cores on Prima/Pearl in Southbank or Vision Tower also in Melbs. Wouldn't complain if ctbuh recorded this as about 122m (height to fins on facade) which is what you're seeing from the street.
Architectural height is 134m, that's a new tallest!

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#179 Post by mshagg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:17 am

The student accommodation building is quite the unsightly beast. And it's "Stage 1", which makes me nervous, as a lot can happen to a developer before "stage 2" actually goes ahead, leaving you with an ugly student block and a vacant site.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#180 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 am

This was Deferred due to some concerns about Tavistock lane and the podium materials to be cleared up.