[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

[SWP] Re: Former RAH Site (Design Competition)

#301 Post by how good is he » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:20 pm

If there was a private developer/philanthropist willing to build/fund something similar to MONA here ($250m +) what's stopping them? My point is - where are they? I agree it would be great to have one (and a concert hall and an opera house and an observation tower and a few theme parks and a space centre blah,blah,blah). Hey these would all bring in more tourism dollars but if it's not commercial and there's no private money to build one, what exactly do you expect to
happen? Rhino, maybe you can start a crowd-funding campaign and have it all!

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#302 Post by Splashmo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:29 pm

I can only echo all of your comments. Apartments should not be built on the parklands and the site screams ghetto.

If we're posting modest surpluses then I don't think it's too much to ask that we get a contemporary art gallery going. Apparently the Cabinet is still looking at this so I'd hope it can become part of the proposal.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#303 Post by ml69 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:35 am

Splashmo wrote:I can only echo all of your comments. Apartments should not be built on the parklands and the site screams ghetto.

If we're posting modest surpluses then I don't think it's too much to ask that we get a contemporary art gallery going. Apparently the Cabinet is still looking at this so I'd hope it can become part of the proposal.
Ghetto? With due respect, your comment is ignorant and sounds like something I'd expect to read on Adelaidenow.

I don't think think those apartments will be exactly housing trust standard. I'd wager good money that the majority of the population will not be able to afford them.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#304 Post by Norman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:05 am

A new contemporary art gallery and underground concert hall have been revealed for the site! More details to follow...

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#305 Post by Alyx » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:06 am

Norman wrote:A new contemporary art gallery and underground concert hall have been revealed for the site! More details to follow...
The Advertiser wrote:Image

A STYLISED “white box” housing a $250 million contemporary art gallery, and a nearby underground concert hall, have been proposed for the $1 billion old Royal Adelaide Hospital redevelopment.

Secret plans supplied to The Advertiser show an elevated two-level art gallery, which it is understood has been proposed for a small part of the 2.04ha to be handed back to the Adelaide Botanic Gardens.

It is also understood an underground concert hall sloping over three levels has been proposed by the preferred developer, Adelaide-based C & G, as part of a refurbishment of large hospital basements.

Neither the art gallery concept drawing supplied to The Advertiser nor details of the concert hall were revealed when Premier Jay Weatherill unveiled the long-awaited plans for the $1 billion redevelopment last Sunday.

A luxury hotel, commercial complex, about 1080 apartments and the 2ha hand back of current hospital land to the Botanic Gardens are the centrepieces, revealed exclusively by the Sunday Mail last week.

It is understood the art gallery plans were prepared by C & G as part of its successful bid document and, informally dubbed the white box, are being circulated within senior levels of government.

The 15,000 to 17,000sq m art gallery is designed to “float” above a much smaller footprint of 1420sq m, leaving 1.9ha for the Botanic Gardens.

The gallery, which could house some of the Art Gallery of South Australia’s extraordinary collection of indigenous and contemporary art, is being touted as an “eastern bookend” to the North Tce cultural boulevard.

It would be built near the site of the existing hospital East Wing. Critics within Cabinet, thought to include Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis, have demanded a business case prove the gallery is cost-effective by becoming a major attraction.

A prime cultural institution is considered a critical drawcard for the planned luxury hotel.

Asked for comment, Urban Development Minister Stephen Mullighan repeated that a high-powered steering group was investigating sites including the current hospital, the Torrens Riverbank precinct and Port Adelaide’s inner harbour, as revealed exclusively by The Advertiser last week.

The steering group of prominent Australians, chaired by former Sydney Opera House director Michael Lynch, will consider options for a new contemporary cultural institution.

“The Steering Group will assess the benefits and the hurdles, and the State Government will consider their findings ahead of the 2017-18 Budget,” Mr Mullighan said.

This positions the gallery as a potential major announcement ahead of the March, 2018, state election.

C & G managing director Trevor Cooke said the developer’s aim was to balance the 7ha site’s economic, social and environmental interests.

Botanic Gardens chairwoman Judy Potter said she was open to discussion.

“We’ve all got to work together to make the best decisions for future generations,” she said.

In a statement before learning of the gallery proposal, Opposition Leader Steven Marshall demanded the government ensure the development was “more than a few apartment blocks”.
Source: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 34a3e1f3d8

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#306 Post by Waewick » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:17 am

Good news!

Nathan

#307 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:26 am

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#308 Post by thecityguy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#309 Post by slenderman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Looking at those renders, is the Eleanor Harrald building planned to be demolished? I sure hope not. How many other art deco buildings of this scale do we have in Adelaide? There's some beautiful old buildings along Frome Road, but it seems we want to demolish many of them.

Also looks like this one may go as well.

* Photos by Peter John Tate on Panoramio

Nathan

#310 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:42 pm

slenderman wrote:Looking at those renders, is the Eleanor Harrald building planned to be demolished? I sure hope not. How many other art deco buildings of this scale do we have in Adelaide? There's some beautiful old buildings along Frome Road, but it seems we want to demolish many of them.
I absolutely agree - we should be keeping as much along Frome Rd as possible, especially the Eleanor Harrald building and the two Adelaide Uni medical buildings.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#311 Post by how good is he » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:31 am

Is it heritage listed? I expect it would be (or at the very least the facade should be (so maybe they will build behind). Also who can explain (as quoted) - Based on a "15,000 to 17,000sq m art gallery designed to “float” above a much smaller footprint of 1420sq m". This would equate to a 10-13 storeys on that footprint - but it's only 2 storeys high.... Does it mean 15000 sqm + (nearly 4 acres) of it will be underground?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#312 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:51 am

100% agree with the above.

The brick exterior of the Eleanor Harrald building is quite beautiful, reminds me of the Gawler Chambers. It would be a travesty to see it go.

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#313 Post by floplo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:00 am

how good is he wrote:Also who can explain (as quoted) - Based on a "15,000 to 17,000sq m art gallery designed to “float” above a much smaller footprint of 1420sq m". This would equate to a 10-13 storeys on that footprint - but it's only 2 storeys high.... Does it mean 15000 sqm + (nearly 4 acres) of it will be underground?
I think the "footprint" is the extent of the building on the ground floor, not the total extent of the 'box' on top of it. So if the ground floor is about 20x60 meters while the box is 40x100 meters (purely hypothetical numbers) you only need three floors (and a little bit of basement) to get to 15k sqm.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#314 Post by how good is he » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:59 am

Thxs Floplo. I recall reading its only 2 storeys, so if the footprint is 1420sqm (& no basement) it's 6500-7500 sqm per floor (nearly 2 acres per floor). Also there is no mention of carparking for the site. Does the forum think there will be a vast underground carpark for the public and/or those using the site? If so, will it be only from Frome Rd? I note on the renders there appears no vehicular access from North Tce - is this realistic for a hotel etc? With taxi/buses/limos etc as well as for suppliers/linen deliveries /waste removal etc do they expect it all from Frome Rd or possibly access points to an underground "city" from North Tce? I read, "once complete, more than 9,300 people would work, visit or live in the precinct every day." So maybe 3000-4500 carparks needed?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#315 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:47 pm

I went along to a East End Association presentation about the ORAH site. The guest speaker was John Hanlon, CEO of Renewal SA.

John played the main proposal video and then went through a slide show, discussing the site, new CBD high school and how it all connects to the East End.

Here are a few points I picked up in his presentation:
-The successful bidder does not have development rights yet, only exclusivity to propose. It may go back to market if the developer fails along the way.
-As soon as the hospital has moved out (a move that should be fast once underway), the East Wing will be demolished by Renewal SA and returned to parklands, even if the developer hasn't started yet.
-The leasehold will be made available to the developer in stages, meaning certain milestones will need to be achieved before they get more land to work on.
-All except two of the From Road buildings will go, excluding the IW "something" research unit.
-Interest for the Innovation part of the precinct is expected the whole nation, including China, as John Holland (one of the developers) is owned by the Chinese government. John said that the developer has already got interested parties.
-Concert Hall and Art Gallery are not funded yet, the business case is due to be competed by March 2017, before the state budget.
-The site currently has around 10,500 visitors daily, the development without the cultural additions will generate around 9,300 visitors daily.

Among the attendees were councillor Houssam Abad and Adelaide MP Rachel Sanderson.

Houssam asked questions around using the information of the site to show investors the potential of the area by summarising the information available (such as visitors, etc) and putting it into an infographic. John advised that more information will be coming out as the site design and components are finalised, especially the cultural parts.

Disappointingly, I saw Rachel on her phone most of the time while John gave his presentation. Afterwards, another lady made comments about the hospital that seemed very political regarding the new hospital. I am paraphrasing and summarising here, but this is approximately how it went.

Lady: "So now that the hospital is not opening for another year, and the demolition will take a year, what will happen to the site?"
John: "The bulldozers won't move in until everyone is out. I can't give you a date because that's SA Health's responsibility. All we know is that we will be ready with bulldozers within a week of everyone being out of the hospital."
Lady: "So this will be a construction site until 2018!"
John: "No, we will take 12 months from when everyone moves out. In the meantime, there will still be 10,500 visitors per day. The new hospital is outside our control."
Lady: "Until 2018!"
John: "Right, Moving on..."

I later saw Rachel, along with what appeared to be her adviser and the lady chatting exclusively between each other after the event. If the lady is a close friend, employee or part of the party, then that is a really terrible way to come to an information session and potiticise something that has nothing to do with the actual presentation. I would have no qualms in Abiad replacing her in the next election.