[COM] Holiday Inn Express | Hindley Street | 39m | 11 lvls | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Holiday Inn Express | Hindley Street | 39m | 11 lvls | H

#91 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:26 pm

monotonehell wrote:
how good is he wrote:My personal pet hate - new hotel buildings with no balconies! WTF. Even for some rooms? Why.....
Because people go out there to smoke / set fire to things, and jump / fall off them. It's a liability thing, several hotels around the World have been removing open balconies in recent years.
Especially in a high profile entertainment precinct like Hindley Street.

If I was a guest, my priority would be for the windows to be double glazed rather than having a balcony.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58 pm

Windows can still be double glazed regardless if there are balconies. So guests smoking inside the room is also preferable, not. For me, sitting outside people-watching on an entertainment strip like Hindley is far prefable than being couped up in a room just watching a TV - you may as well just stay home.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:25 am

how good is he wrote:Windows can still be double glazed regardless if there are balconies. So guests smoking inside the room is also preferable, not. For me, sitting outside people-watching on an entertainment strip like Hindley is far prefable than being couped up in a room just watching a TV - you may as well just stay home.
Double glazed for sleeping.

YellowRoad
Gold-Member ;)

#94 Post by YellowRoad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:51 am

This hotel should be big with out of towners coming down for the weekend in need of a cheap place to sleep. Not fussed by the lack of balconies nor the design of the tower in general. The street level activation on the other hand looks great. Hopefully we find out what's going there soon.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:44 am

I forgot one of the justifications they've been throwing out there for no balconies: Air conditioning costs being greater when guests leave doors open.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#96 Post by serca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:02 pm

how good is he wrote:Windows can still be double glazed regardless if there are balconies. So guests smoking inside the room is also preferable, not. For me, sitting outside people-watching on an entertainment strip like Hindley is far prefable than being couped up in a room just watching a TV - you may as well just stay home.
Ideally all hotels would have a balcony but I don't agree about the need for them. Unfortunately too many peanuts out there have made it a liability. There are balcony bars around the CBD if they want drink on a balcony. Also people can't just "stay at home" because a majority of the guests will be from overseas or interstate making that one difficult.

As for people smoking in hotel rooms it's just feral, disrespectful and bloody annoying

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by how good is he » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Even if they had French doors that opened (internally) with a steel balustrade (so balcony-like), so you could let actual fresh air in! The Playford (prev. Sebel) rooms facing Victoria St have them. They add no cost to the build or extra floor space yet are so much better. I should have also added the thing that compounds it is they have no windows that actually OPEN/SLIDE (all fixed) in rooms not much bigger than a prison cell. But I guess that's what you get if you want cheap/budget rooms. But it still amazes me a 5-star hotel was built (Intercontinental- prev. Hyatt) with no balconies or opening/slide open windows & despite the best views & outlook in Adelaide.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#98 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:13 am

how good is he wrote:Even if they had French doors that opened (internally) with a steel balustrade (so balcony-like), so you could let actual fresh air in!
That's what they had at the former Wrather's Hotel, now fully Disney Hotel next to Disneyland in California. A few years ago they sealed all the not-really-a-balcony balconies because of the air conditioning costs of guests leaving the windows open with the a/c on.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#99 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:58 am

I dunno - as much as I'd love the option to get fresh air into a stuffy air-conditioned hotel room, I think there are very good reasons why tall buildings available to the public for $100 a night:

1) People jump out of them
2) People fall out of them
3) People drop things out of them

If I were opening a budget hotel on a popular nightlife strip I wouldn't have any opening windows or balconies either. The potential costs (financial, legal and reputation) in case of any of the above would far outweigh the benefits IMHO.

If I were building two-level luxury hotel overlooking Cradle Mountain or similar then I might think differently.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#100 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:28 pm

From just before Christmas:

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#101 Post by mshagg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:48 pm

There's definitely a place for balconies in hotels and many I've stayed in for work over the years have had them. But not at a Holiday Inn (or a travelodge, ibis etc). Their service offering is exactly as you say - a room with a bed and a TV. If you want quality amenities then up the budget a bit.

I dont think the liability thing is really an issue, just look at the target demographic for oaks serviced apartments (i.e. how many steresonic bros can you cram in to a 2br apartment on a long weekend).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#102 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 pm

A few photos from Friday:

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#103 Post by ghs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:47 pm

One of the issues with balconies is that it only takes another building to go up next door
in order for the balconies to become redundant. Vision on Morphett is a good example of this.
The building to the south of Vision has balconies (looking North) which would have had splendid
views a couple of years ago before Vision was erected. The residents now go out onto their balcony
and they're staring into a lovely blank wall.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#104 Post by arki » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:17 pm

ghs wrote:One of the issues with balconies is that it only takes another building to go up next door
in order for the balconies to become redundant. Vision on Morphett is a good example of this.
The building to the south of Vision has balconies (looking North) which would have had splendid
views a couple of years ago before Vision was erected. The residents now go out onto their balcony
and they're staring into a lovely blank wall.
Because windows with once 'splendid' views that have now been blocked out by a blank wall are so much more appealing than a functional balcony #ghslogic

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 am

I'm failing to workout which building with balconies you are referring to.