[U/C] Corner of Colley Terrace & Jetty Road | 28m | 7 levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Corner of Colley Terrace & Jetty Road | 28m | 7 levels | Hotel

#1 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:51 am

Couple of new mid rise for the bay.
Description of Proposed Development: Demolition of existing retail tenancies and construction of 7-storey mixed use building comprising ground floor retail, above ground car parking and residential apartments
Detailed Land Uses: Residential - Residential Flat Building
Retail - Shop
Land Use/Building Consent:Yes
Lodgement Date: 23 Dec 2016
Description of Subject Land
Address: Corner of Colley Terrace and Jetty Road, Glenelg

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: Corner of Colley Terrace & Jetty Road | ~25m | 7 levels

#2 Post by crawf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Looks pretty decent

Developer to spend $60 million to build retail and apartment buildings on Jetty Road, Glenelg

Eugene Boisvert, CoastCity Weekly, The Advertiser

DEVELOPER Andrew Taplin plans to spend close to $60 million to build two retail and apartment buildings on Jetty Rd, Glenelg.

One would be eight-storeys high at the northern corner of Jetty Rd and Colley Tce, overlooking Moseley Square.

The other, at the southwestern corner of Jetty Rd and Partridge St, would be seven storeys.

Mr Taplin said the building overlooking the square and beach would be a “diamond in the crown of Jetty Rd”.

“It’s important when you look back from Moseley Square you see something that is striking and adds to the streetscape,” Mr Taplin said.

He said he was doing his “little bit to help revitalise Jetty Rd and the area generally”.

“They’ll be fresh, they’ll be knew, they’ll have better facilities, more carparking and obviously the added advantage of apartments above,” he said.

Mr Taplin has lodged plans for the buildings with the state Development Assessment Commission (DAC).

The height limit on most of Jetty Rd is five storeys.

However, planning rules allow up to eight storeys on the two sites because they are larger than 1500sq m.

Both would include above-ground carparking.

Holdfast Bay Deputy Mayor Susan Lonie said the council wanted to limit buildings at the corner of Jetty Rd and Colley Tce to five storeys to stop them overshadowing the square.

“While (the) council supports developments with the potential to stimulate the local economy and add to the precinct’s vibrancy, we believe the five-storey height limit strikes the right balance,” Cr Lonie said.

She said a five-storey limit would ensure people could enjoy outdoor dining and other entertainment in Moseley Square “with natural light and a sense of open space, without being overshadowed”.

“We look forward to providing a detailed response to the DAC, in which we will reiterate our preference for a five-storey height limit in this location,” Cr Lonie said.

Holdfast Bay Residents’ Alliance president Jack Messenger said the public had lost confidence in the DAC because it continually approved buildings over the maximum height allowed in an area.

“It’s disappointing they’re even allowed to do that,” Mr Messenger said.

State Government modelling shows a five-storey building on the corner of Jetty Rd and Colley Tce would overshadow at least part of the square at 9am in every season apart from summer.

Mr Taplin said his proposed building would not extend to the boundaries of the block and, as a mainly residential building, would be shorter than a similar commercial building, which would tend to have higher ceilings.

“The overshadowing models we’ve submitted demonstrate there’s virtually no difference to what we’re proposing versus a five-storey option,” he said.

He said the existing 12-storey Colley Court building, just north of his proposal on Colley Tce, produced a bigger shadow, which is confirmed by government diagrams.

Mr Taplin also owns the GU Film House cinema, which opened in Glenelg last year, the Bayside Village shopping centre and The Beachouse entertainment complex as well as numerous smaller buildings.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Paulns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Looks awesome to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Corner of Colley Terrace & Jetty Road | ~25m | 7 levels

#4 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:03 am

Pretty uninspiring to me. Would be fine elsewhere around Glenelg, but is lacking for such a prominent corner. Taplin is fooling himself if he thinks it's a "diamond in the crown".

Also, above ground car parking. Really?

EBG

#5 Post by EBG » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm

If it was 27 stories ....................

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:33 pm

EBG wrote:If it was 27 stories ....................
Holdfast bay council were on the radio this morning saying they want this rejected or reduced to 5 stories max as there is a little bit of shadow on the road in winter... :roll:

[Shuz]

#7 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Pretty sure the clouds cast more than enough shadows in the winter. What difference will a building make?

I mean really, the shadowing impact over Moseley Square is at its worst at 9am on 21st June, who the hell is going to be down there in 14 degrees and a strong westerly breeze with a likely wind chill of 8 degrees, to soak up the sunshine in the square with a cup of coffee... nobody. So what's the fuss over shadowing. Get real, Holdfast Bay Council.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Exactly Shuz, thankfully the DAC will assess and likely ignore the council.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by slenderman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:21 pm

My Glenelg geography skills/bearings aren't great. Where exactly is this?

Is this the site currently occupied by Gringo's? If so, that corner could definitely use some major improvement, but I agree with Nathan that it's fairly stock-standard development for this site and area as a whole, rather than the jewel of the crown. Not ugly and it's better than nothing for sure but I think they can do better.

I could be wrong, but I also get the feeling that it might not age particularly well. Don't ask me why, as I can't quite put my finger on it.

Still, with a few Glenelg proposals as of late, is it about time I put together a future Glenelg skyline?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:35 pm

slenderman wrote:My Glenelg geography skills/bearings aren't great. Where exactly is this?

Is this the site currently occupied by Gringo's? If so, that corner could definitely use some major improvement, but I agree with Nathan that it's fairly stock-standard development for this site and area as a whole, rather than the jewel of the crown. Not ugly and it's better than nothing for sure but I think they can do better.

I could be wrong, but I also get the feeling that it might not age particularly well. Don't ask me why, as I can't quite put my finger on it.

Still, with a few Glenelg proposals as of late, is it about time I put together a future Glenelg skyline?
This would be great. Also where is the CBD one located? I was trying to find it the other day to get an idea of what it may be like with all these 100m plus proposals?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:50 am

Fresh renders:

Not sure about the half-blank walls facing Jetty Road, but the Colley Terrace view looks pretty interesting!

More details: http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... 009_16.pdf

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Alyx » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 am

[Shuz]

#13 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 am

DAC should defer if there is blank walls on Jetty Road. Either the developer should reconfigure apartment layouts to allow for window placement or have murals put in place.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:57 pm

The western exterior is different and something that will probably grow in popularity. Though a complete 'thumbs down' for the blank wall facing Jetty Road.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 pm

I like how these renders make the rest of Jetty Road look not shit.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.