Mundine vs Green - Feb 3

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Mundine vs Green - Feb 3

#1 Post by ghs » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Ticket sales have been poor for the boxing this coming friday night. They're now expecting 25,000
while they were initially hoping for 37,000.

Why didn't they schedule the event for Saturday night ?

Surely that would have made it easier for people to come from interstate.

Llessur2002

Re: Mundine vs Green - Feb 3

#2 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Seems that at least one of them is downstairs in Rundle Mall right now. Mundine according to a colleague.

Not sure what's going on. Don't really understand boxing...

ghs

Mundine/Green fight at Adelaide Oval

#3 Post by ghs » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:29 pm

What a joke Friday night was. The crowd was only about 20,000. When Leon Bignell first announced that the event was going to
be in Adelaide he said there would be 37,000 at the oval.

And in terms of the result, you can't tell me that Green was the better boxer on the night.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4 Post by Goodsy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:41 pm

ghs wrote:What a joke Friday night was. The crowd was only about 20,000. When Leon Bignell first announced that the event was going to

And in terms of the result, you can't tell me that Green was the better boxer on the night.
The old guard don't realise that boxing as a sport is dead and buried. If it was a UFC event there would be standing room only

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Jaymz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:59 pm

ghs wrote:What a joke Friday night was. The crowd was only about 20,000. When Leon Bignell first announced that the event was going to

27,860 was the official attendance. But yeah, I was there and the ground did feel rather empty. I'm sure most people were expecting a bigger crowd than that.

And yep, I almost fell over when the result was announced. Green got pummelled in the last few rounds.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6 Post by rev » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 pm

This post shows what's wrong with letting the general public actually vote and have a say in our democracy. What a flaw, letting absolute morons vote.

I mean, look at this idiocy. A politician, trying to spruik an event that they've paid for, trying to talk up the venue that they spent half a billion dollars redeveloping, and then you have moron voters actually thinking that what a politician says about a private event's potential attendance is gospel and set in stone. It gets funnier when the event doesn't draw the expected crowd, according to the politician anyway, and the moron voters have a whinge about it.

If you actually knew anything about anything, you'd know that these sorts of events make their money from pay per view.
But hey, keep talking and pretending like you're an expert on these events, just like you think you're an expert on the "crane valley of death" in Adelaide.

FYI, the fight broke pay per view records in Australia.
There were just as many if not more people also watching the live streams people were doing on Facebook. One guy alone had 11,000 people watching his live stream of the foxtel pay per view coverage.

But hey, GHS is an expert on everything, the event was a massive failure because GHS said so.
You know, Leon Bignells prediction didn't pan out, what a failure Adelaide. What an embarrassment.

rev

#7 Post by rev » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:29 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:

The old guard don't realise that boxing as a sport is dead and buried. If it was a UFC event there would be standing room only
UFC will only sell out if the fight card is worth it. UFC has come to Adelaide before(at the entertainment center), it was an average fight card with mostly local fighters. Didn't sell out, plenty of seats left. The first UFC in Melbourne sold out, and was a world record crowd. Second UFC in Melbourne didn't sell out.

Adelaide Oval is a shit venue for those types of events. If Memorial Drive tennis center had been redeveloped along with the Oval, and it was say a 20,000 capacity multipurpose arena with configurable seating, not only would it have sold out, it would have had a better atmosphere.

ghs

#8 Post by ghs » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Jaymz wrote:

27,860 was the official attendance. But yeah, I was there and the ground did feel rather empty. I'm sure most people were expecting a bigger crowd than that.

And yep, I almost fell over when the result was announced. Green got pummelled in the last few rounds.
I feel sorry for the people who had money on Mundine winning.

In my book there wasn't anywhere near 27,000 there.

Why didn't they have the event on a sat. night ?

Surely that would have made it easier for people from interstate to come here.

So we had 5000 people from interstate for the weekend. The revenue from that was probably less then what the state government
paid for the corrupt event.
Last edited by ghs on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Goodsy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:42 pm

rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:

UFC will only sell out if the fight card is worth it. UFC has come to Adelaide before(at the entertainment center), it was an average fight card with mostly local fighters. Didn't sell out, plenty of seats left. The first UFC in Melbourne sold out, and was a world record crowd. Second UFC in Melbourne didn't sell out.

Adelaide Oval is a shit venue for those types of events. If Memorial Drive tennis center had been redeveloped along with the Oval, and it was say a 20,000 capacity multipurpose arena with configurable seating, not only would it have sold out, it would have had a better atmosphere.
The Adelaide and second Melbourne UFC events weren't Pay Per View marquee fights though, but you're right about Adelaide Oval.. I don't get why it keeps being advertised as an all round venue, AFL and cricket fields are way too big to make proper use of the seating for the vast majority of events.

Waewick

#10 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:48 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote: The old guard don't realise that boxing as a sport is dead and buried. If it was a UFC event there would be standing room only

The Adelaide and second Melbourne UFC events weren't Pay Per View marquee fights though, but you're right about Adelaide Oval.. I don't get why it keeps being advertised as an all round venue, AFL and cricket fields are way too big to make proper use of the seating for the vast majority of events.
Because the Govt spent 500m under the premise of it being multi use ( more than just cricket and footy )

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Jaymz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I agree with the opinion that Adelaide Oval isn't a great venue for an event such as this. People in the stands, including myself, were a long way from the action and the atmosphere was far from electric.

I did mention when there that Coopers Stadium would be a much better venue for it, but then we wouldn't have won the right to host it if we offered up that stadium.

Having said that, i'm sure it looked good for the people watching at home on pay per view, or Facebook :lol:

rev

#12 Post by rev » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:22 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote: The old guard don't realise that boxing as a sport is dead and buried. If it was a UFC event there would be standing room only

You can hold a whole range of events there, but being able to hold those events there doesn't mean they should be held there or that those events will be good and have an excellent atmosphere being held there.
They rebuilt the stadium, and in all honesty I believe their idea of multi use was for things like big concerts(Rolling Stones etc) as well as footy and cricket.
I don't think they ever considered round ball football as a serious user of the stadium(Adel Utd want their own stadium anyway).
The opportunity for boxing between two former Australian multi world champions came up so they put the money up to bring the fight here. Someone thought hey lets have it at Adelaide Oval, our new "centerpiece" of the riverbank bullshit.
The promoter made a killing in pay per views, it was a record in Australia after all, what do they really care at the end of the day? They don't. Nearly 30,000 turned up, and a record pay per view.
Foxtel tried to go after the guys streaming the foxtel broadcast on facebook, some guys actually got phone calls during the broadcast telling them to stop streaming apparently.
I think there's even a gofundme page setup to help with legal costs for those guys now. :lol:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:20 pm

This event shows that we need a venue double the size of the Entertainment Centre in the city, something like Perth Arena. We could even use it for tennis just like our western cousins. In regards to Hindmarsh, they should just bite the bullet and make it a 25-30k venue, build a new Eastern Grandstand, add a small second tier to the northern and southern grandstands, and include a second screen on the southern side. That would make the stadium viable for decades to come.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 pm

^^I have long been an advocate for a new modern arena to replace the AEC. The AEC has serviced us well, though the time has come for Adelaide to have a modern large venue to attract major international acts, events and sport. Memorial Drive on the otherhand is a relic for the past and an embarrassment to the city.

Adelaide needs to follow in Perth's footsteps, with no cost blow outs. A venue hosting concerts, tennis, basketball and events such as boxing matches.

I feel though this could potentially be hotly debated in the next years state election - watch this space