[REJ] 79 Port Road, Thebarton | 37m x 2 & 31m| 10 & 2 x 8 Levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[REJ] Re: 79 Port Road, Thebarton | 36m| 10 & 2 x 8 Levels

#31 Post by Algernon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:34 pm

YellowRoad wrote:Out of interest I had a look at the report to see why it has been recommended for refusal.

It appears that whilst the design, bulk and scale of the proposal are deemed acceptable on this site, it was viewed that the traffic issues raised by DPTI (There's a few so I wont paste them all, however the bulk relating to Philip St and increased congestion) had not been correctly addressed. The conclusion was that the proposal in its current form would adversely impact the city ring routes ability to operate efficiently and safely.

Im surprised they put it up to DAC in the first place despite being made aware of these traffic issues during pre-lodgement. The developers will have to do some tweaking in order to get it through.
Ironically it's that same traffic which renders the street activation arguments bunk. It's Port Rd not a bloody shopping mall. I grew up close to the area and to me the ESWS building is undeniably part of the character of the area. If there was a "mismatch" with the Southwark it was there 100 years before I was born. I bet the state architect thinks Mt Thebarton (or whatever it's called these days) dances and makes the Southwark hotel scones for breakfast.

Would have liked to see this development go ahead regardless, but with the old face incorporated would have been awesome. Ah well.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[REJ] Re: 79 Port Road, Thebarton | 37m x 2 & 31m| 10 & 2 x 8 Leve

#32 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 am

This is expected to be approved at Thursday meeting.

The following amendments have been made to the plans in response to the deferral:
• Plans now demonstrate that the south east portion of the building can be altered
to accommodate an additional lane along Phillips Street should DPTI require this
to improve the intersection capacity.
• Expansion of the loading area
• Inclusion of Ramps and not steps from the market to the rear loading area.
• Designation of parking spaces for drop/off and pick up for the hotel

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 am

Looks good, hope to see more of this in the area!

Llessur2002

#34 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Absolutely. It really feels like the inner West is about to take off.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Splashmo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:08 pm

With a cloud over Coca Cola I can only imagine there's more on the way. Sadly I think the land is worth more than the bottling plant as a going concern.

Cranjer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#36 Post by Cranjer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 pm

I was thinking the same thing. It's a massive land holding. Build the trams and the rest will follow (finally!!).

arki
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by arki » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:28 am

Splashmo wrote:With a cloud over Coca Cola I can only imagine there's more on the way. Sadly I think the land is worth more than the bottling plant as a going concern.
Did you have insider knowledge or will you be buying a x-lotto this week...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... c16661d531

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 am

Splashmo wrote:With a cloud over Coca Cola I can only imagine there's more on the way. Sadly I think the land is worth more than the bottling plant as a going concern.
Plus the Ice Arena owners itching for an excuse to close down so they can develop that site as well.

Llessur2002

#39 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 am

Wow, sad news for the employees but the site represents a tremendous development opportunity - it's pretty big. Plus the location and PT access is fantastic. Onwards and upwards...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:19 am

arki wrote:

The writing has been on the wall for all Port Road businesses since the tramline extension. Absolute prime location with uninterrupted views of the parklands / city, in an area that will continue to gain more popularity in years to come. With the site being four times the size of 79 Port Road (ES Wigg & Son) and right near the Thebarton tram stop, it was inevitable this site would be developed at one stage. Though unlike the ES Wigg & Son building, the Coca Cola Factory has little street appeal so it will be no big loss.

It is however disappointing news for those workers. I was hoping they would shift to Salisbury instead.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by Vee » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 am

crawf wrote: The writing has been on the wall for all Port Road businesses since the tramline extension. Absolute prime location with uninterrupted views of the parklands / city, in an area that will continue to gain more popularity in years to come. With the site being four times the size of 79 Port Road (ES Wigg & Son) and right near the Thebarton tram stop, it was inevitable this site would be developed at one stage. Though unlike the ES Wigg & Son building, the Coca Cola Factory has little street appeal so it will be no big loss.

It is however disappointing news for those workers. I was hoping they would shift to Salisbury instead.
Spot on, Crawf.
Salisbury distribution stays but Thebarton bottling closes. The factory itself 'has no street appeal' but its demise and redevelopment (along with ES Wigg) will boost the appeal of this area for residential development.

Very sad too to hear of the job losses at the Thebarton factory. And the jackals circling bad news with little hint of sympathy for factory workers who have just received awful news re their jobs.

The site represents a bonanza redevelopment opportunity, given the re-zoning, proximity to the city, tram stop and park lands across the road and, in particular, quick access to the nRAH and education/science/medical precinct on North Terrace.

The ES Wigg development highlights the potential of this Port Road strip and Thebarton and the dominoes are sure to fall as developers/buyers realize the enhanced value of this emerging inner precinct, mirroring the increased appeal of nearby Bowden-Brompton and Croydon, W. Croydon.

Automation
Automation is a killer for industrial jobs and Coca-Cola is investing $90million into automation expansion. The sale of Thebarton (hampered by its 'ageing infrastructure and plant layout') but increasing value as a development site will pitch some $$ into Coca-Cola's rationalization/automation pot.
So fewer jobs in the expanded/more automated plants interstate, as in industry in general.

This item also gives a clue with the appointment of...
...Optus chairman Paul O’Sullivan to a non-executive director role on its board.... (hoping) to tap into O’Sullivan’s “knowledge of digital technology, innovation … and disruption”.
ITNews:
http://www.itnews.com.au/news/coca-cola ... ion-452161

Nathan

#42 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:07 pm

It's certainly disappointing. I actually think it's presence (along with SA Brewing) is/was positive for the area as a development corridor. Leveraging of industrial heritage is a possible differentiator for the area, and I think urban manufacturing can be a good thing (certain industries of course - but aside from the amount of truck movements, there's nothing bad about a bottling plant).

But given the land value and development potential wasn't really a factor in the decision, it good to see the development potential now presented as a completely seperate thing from the ramifications of job losses and a closing factory. There's real potential for a connected Thebarton-Hindmarsh-Bowden precinct

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 pm

It is a shame about the closure. I've always thought given our wine industry we should be the beverage industry capital for Australia, so it's disappointing that this capacity is moving out-of-state rather than vice versa.

That said, and as others have said, the site holds exciting future development potential. As Nathan alludes, I hope that in that process of transformation, not to much is lost of (or rather, respect is paid to) the industrial heritage/cred of the district.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#44 Post by rev » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 am

arki wrote:

It was actually in the news that there was going to be a meeting on the sites fate...

But sales have been declining generally for Coca Cola, who have been trying to play catch up to competitors who got on the health drinks band wagon before Coca Cola did.
And like others said once that area of port road was rezoned its only a matter of time till its all developed.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by how good is he » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:37 am

Don't understand how Coke spent some $54m in the past few years upgrading this site...a lot must have changed since then? Possibly if its plant it could be dismantled and re-used somewhere else.