[PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $110m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#46 Post by bits » Mon May 09, 2016 6:56 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4628930603 just a few weeks after this discussion we get a reminder of what troubles building on a jetty will experience often.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by ghs » Mon May 09, 2016 7:44 pm

bits wrote:I thought the Glenelg jetty has had a history of being damaged by severe storms. Along with all other jettys along the same coast line.

I dont know how well you can build something on a surface with such a variable height. You would need the buildings 10m in the air or they will get flooded at some point.

Maybe they could build a huge break water a mile out, but what would that mean for the environment and what cost to build.

Also I do not see the huge wow factor of a business on a jetty vs a business on land with water frontage either.
After a few years of people being interested in how the jetty idea works I think all the additional costs, long distances from any mode of transport and same-same feeling to all other water frontage will likely send everything bankrupt.

If we want a hotel and restaurants there I think we should invest in reclaiming the land.
Bits, I totally agree will you on this. This Glenelg jetty hotel idea has gone quiet over the last couple of weeks. I haven't seen
anything about it in the media, which is probably a good thing.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by thecityguy » Mon May 09, 2016 7:58 pm

If this was to go ahead, I would assume it would be a lot stronger than your average jetty. I don't think it would be too difficult to build it strong enough to withstand a storm much stronger than today, they could also just raise the jetty a little higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waewick

#49 Post by Waewick » Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 pm

thecityguy wrote:If this was to go ahead, I would assume it would be a lot stronger than your average jetty. I don't think it would be too difficult to build it strong enough to withstand a storm much stronger than today, they could also just raise the jetty a little higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't even believe that you had to point that out

I mean seriously we had some gusty wind the other day, let's stop building tall buildings incase they are as flimsy as my Tree House.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Pikey » Wed May 11, 2016 8:18 am

ghs wrote:
bits wrote:I thought the Glenelg jetty has had a history of being damaged by severe storms. Along with all other jettys along the same coast line.

I dont know how well you can build something on a surface with such a variable height. You would need the buildings 10m in the air or they will get flooded at some point.

Maybe they could build a huge break water a mile out, but what would that mean for the environment and what cost to build.

Also I do not see the huge wow factor of a business on a jetty vs a business on land with water frontage either.
After a few years of people being interested in how the jetty idea works I think all the additional costs, long distances from any mode of transport and same-same feeling to all other water frontage will likely send everything bankrupt.

If we want a hotel and restaurants there I think we should invest in reclaiming the land.
Bits, I totally agree will you on this. This Glenelg jetty hotel idea has gone quiet over the last couple of weeks. I haven't seen
anything about it in the media, which is probably a good thing
Because every other proposal in Adelaide is kept in the media every week until completion..... :wallbash:
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

PeFe

#51 Post by PeFe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:51 am

From ABC Online...
Proposed Glenelg jetty redevelopment will create hundreds of jobs, council says

Plans to rejuvenate the Glenelg jetty will create about 500 jobs and add $42 million per year to South Australia's economy during construction, an economic analysis of the project shows.

City of Holdfast Bay Mayor Stephen Patterson said the rejuvenation project focused on returning the Glenelg jetty to its "glory days of the 1900s".

The concept currently proposes a 30m wide and 300m long jetty featuring a boutique hotel, public baths, public pavilion, event space, a ferry and seaplane terminal, and possibly a marine research centre.

Mr Patterson said the report by the SA Centre for Economic Studies showed that 289 jobs would be created per year during the five-year construction stage peaking at 500 jobs in the third and fourth years.

"The report also shows the ongoing benefits for the state's economy will be $14 million a year and 140 jobs on an ongoing basis, which is fantastic news for South Australia," he said.

The project requires funding from the state and federal governments as well as from the private sector to get off the ground.

"Council will work with key stakeholders, in particular presenting to the State Government to explore how they may drive this project forward to benefit all South Australians," Mr Patterson said.

He said detailed analysis on each of the individual elements of the project, including community consultation would be required.

Mott MacDonald, the company responsible for the project and design management of Adelaide Oval, and Woods Bagot, the designers behind the SAHMRI building in the city, have been commissioned to develop the jetty concept.

Full article : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-16/p ... section=sa
From The Adelaide Advertiser
Promotional video showing how $110m would change Glenelg Jetty is released

THE ambitious vision to reinvigorate Glenelg Jetty that includes a boutique hotel and marine research centre comes with a $110-million price tag — now a video’s been released to show how it would look.
Coinciding with the video’s release is a predicted cost benefit of the plan which also includes public baths and a ferry terminal at the tourist site.
According to the economic analysis commissioned by the local council, the project would boost SA’s economy by $42 million each year and create 500 jobs during construction.
Holdfast Bay Council has been looking at the idea of extending the jetty and turning it into it an entertainment hub for the past two years.
It has released the $30,000 cost-benefit report it commissioned in March in a bid to secure a $20 million pledge from federal candidates ahead of election day, to match the $20 million already promised by the state Liberals towards the public part of the project.
The rest of the money would come from a yet-to-be-found private developer.

Full Article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... ec2f881e01

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#52 Post by madelaide » Mon May 08, 2017 8:41 am

I haven't seen an image of the Glenelg Jetty proposal in situation, so put something together myself.

Image attached shows Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre, Lustro complex, Colley Terrace/Jetty Road apartments, Brighton Road apartments, plus a bonus visual representation of an extended marina, with King St bridge removed and replaced by a crossing from Newhaven Avenue to the Patawalonga Frontage.
Glenelg2020.jpg
Glenelg2020.jpg (462.97 KiB) Viewed 6722 times

ghs

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $110m

#53 Post by ghs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Is Marshall going to follow through with this idea now that has been elected ?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by how good is he » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:41 pm

Well I think he will put up his promise of $20m but it’s still then conditional on all the rest of the funding for the project to go ahead, right? It will still need the other $90m to be raised ie Federal Govt (say $20m) and private (say $70m).

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by how good is he » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:17 pm

I didn’t see the $20m for this in today’s budget. So a broken election promise?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#56 Post by rev » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:17 pm
I didn’t see the $20m for this in today’s budget. So a broken election promise?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by how good is he » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:51 pm

I’m happy to be proven wrong..The ‘Tiser reports now that it’s in there.. what $20m gets now is the question?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#58 Post by rev » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Original proposal was for $110 million.
The government has allocated $20 million.

Yeh nah, not happening. You will get new paving/walkway, new grass, new lighting, new trees, and the jetty will get a makeover.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:50 pm

The $20m was supposed to be the government's share, with the rest paid for by the public sector. Whether or not the private sector will step up and make it happen is now a different matter.