News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#3061 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:47 pm

adelaide transport wrote:Under the Labour Governments plan the Adelaide to Salisbury section would be electrified first. Passengers wishing to travel beyond Salisbury would be required to transfer at Salisbury to a diesel railcar to complete their journey.
Regarding the actual services, I don't think that anything around that has been announced. I wouldn't think that is their actual plan. Unless you have a source...

I would expect the electrics to run all stoppers between Salisbury and Adelaide, and the diesels running express between Salisbury and Adelaide.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#3062 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:15 pm

The source was a DPTI-- Stephen Mullighan media release on radio as a follow up to discussions re DTPI's failure to supply Infrastructure Australia with an updated and detailed business plan.
This was previously written about in the Advertiser/Adelaide Now on February 27th 2017.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3063 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 pm

bits wrote:There was a significant event right around that time that might have played a part in the delay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial ... _2007–2008
The Queensland floods in 2011 also saw federal government funding cut for the project to help fund the recovery up there.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#3064 Post by mawsonguy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Norman wrote:Regarding the actual services, I don't think that anything around that has been announced. I wouldn't think that is their actual plan. Unless you have a source...

I would expect the electrics to run all stoppers between Salisbury and Adelaide, and the diesels running express between Salisbury and Adelaide.
The so called express services aren't. If you look at the timetable the express (no stops) from Mawson Lakes to the City takes the same time as the services which stop at stations. There are no passing loops so every train has to go at the same average speed otherwise they bump into each other. There's room to put passing loops in at many of the stations (excluding Salisbury and those south of Islington). There just doesn't seem to be any political will to do so.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3065 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:13 am

When I said express I meant stopping at only the major stations from Salisbury onwards. The electric trains can accelerate faster and travel at a higher speed, so the time difference won't be as high. You can also make the trains have alternate stopping patterns, as happens now, to reduce the time even further.

Anyway, let's wait for the timetables to be released before making any judgements.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3066 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:29 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
Norman wrote:Regarding the actual services, I don't think that anything around that has been announced. I wouldn't think that is their actual plan. Unless you have a source...

The so called express services aren't. If you look at the timetable the express (no stops) from Mawson Lakes to the City takes the same time as the services which stop at stations. There are no passing loops so every train has to go at the same average speed otherwise they bump into each other. There's room to put passing loops in at many of the stations (excluding Salisbury and those south of Islington). There just doesn't seem to be any political will to do so.
Some of them are quite quick. For example, the 8.10am from Salisbury stops only at Mawson Lakes after it and the trip takes 20 minutes, if not less.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3067 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm

I've just read that article on AdelaideNow regarding electrification.
Electrification of Gawler train line at bottom of infrastructure priority list

Sheradyn Holderhead, Political Reporter, The Advertiser
February 27, 2017 9:21pm

•Labor pledges $76 million towards Gawler line electrification
•Feds pull plug on Gawler line electrification

THE on-again, off-again Gawler train line electrification is languishing toward the bottom of the country’s infrastructure priority list because the State Government has failed to finalise the business case.

Infrastructure Australia has released its updated priority list that identifies the nation’s 100 most important projects but South Australia failed to have a project rated as “high priority”.

Coalition policy requires all federal infrastructure projects of more than $100 million must be subject to analysis by Infrastructure Australia to test cost-effectiveness and financial viability.

The Gawler line upgrade has been labelled a “high-priority proposed initiative”, which Infrastructure Australia project advisory director Jeremy Parkinson explained means it was a “potential good idea”.

The project, which was announced at the 2008 State Budget before being axed and reannounced several times, was undergoing “business case development” according to IA.

“(There are) ‘full projects’ which have business cases and there are ‘initiatives’ which are potentially good ideas to address nationally significant problems but for which we don’t yet have a business case,” Mr Parkinson told a Senate hearing on Tuesday.

State Opposition infrastructure spokesman David Pisoni said the State Government was “asleep at the wheel”.

“I note the electrification of the Gawler line has been included in the lower order proposed initiatives categories,” he said.

“After years of delays and wasted investment it beggars belief that the Government is still failing to make this a priority project.”

But State Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan insisted the project was “shovel-ready”.

He said the State Government would shortly be issuing a tender for the electrification of the line from Adelaide to Salisbury and construction would start in the second half of this year.

But electrification of the Salisbury to Gawler section remains unfunded.

“Submissions supporting the Gawler electrification have been provided to Prime Ministers, Federal Infrastructure Ministers, Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development and Infrastructure Australia since 2007 with the last submission made in September 2015,” he said.

“There has been ample information provided to the Commonwealth that would allow the Coalition Government to reinstate the funding that was cut in 2013.”

In 2013, the Coalition wrote to the State Government advising it would withdraw the expected $76.2 million for the line just a day after the project was reannounced.

During the last year’s Federal Election campaign, Labor announced it would reverse the $76 million cut to the project but the Coalition did not.

Mr Mullighan said the list identified a number of key SA projects which would provide immense benefits to the state such as the upgrading of the Strzelecki Track and the AdeLINK tram network — but these were all considered “initiatives”.

“Projects like Darlington and the Northern Connector, while not identified as high priority projects, were funded because of the State Government’s persistence and the significant benefits they will deliver,” Mr Mullighan said.
Nothing here regarding passengers changing trains in Salisbury. It would be a bit silly anyway, DMUs can easily travel under the wires now that the 2000-class is retired.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3068 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:56 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
mawsonguy wrote:

Some of them are quite quick. For example, the 8.10am from Salisbury stops only at Mawson Lakes after it and the trip takes 20 minutes, if not less.
Yes, the diesel trains can be quick when running express, but they are not as good at continuously starting and stopping at stations.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#3069 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Grade separating Pym St, Torrens Road, Kings Road & Park Terrace need to be done first

Pym St can be done without closing the exiting rail and leaving the crossing as goods only at street level.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

PeFe

#3070 Post by PeFe » Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Construction of new ticket gates for Noarlunga Centre train station about to start.
From The Messenger
Ticket gates at Noarlunga train station now expected to be installed next month — a year after initially planned

FORGET about ticket gates at Noarlunga Centre train station — at least until later this year.

Design complications have again delayed their installation, with construction now expected to start 12 months after originally promised.

A Transport Department spokeswoman said “design complexities” relating mostly to the multiple access points at the station had caused significant delays.

“The existing layout of the Noarlunga Central station has presented design complexities particularly associated with the various access points,” the spokeswoman said.

“It is anticipated that construction will commence in June, subject to weather, (and) works are anticipated to take three to four months to complete, subject to weather,” the spokeswoman said.

She said access to train services was “planned to be available” at the station during construction.

The gates, similar to those at Adelaide Railway Station, will require a valid ticket for entry to the platform.

Construction of ticket gates at Noarlunga Centre and Salisbury stations was due to start in June last year and be operational by the end of 2016.

Construction at Salisbury, which had faced similar complications, has now started.

However, the department spokeswoman said the layout of both stations was different so they had separate problems to fix.

The gates, including wider ones for people with mobility aids and prams, will be installed on the platform level and next to the stairs and escalators on level one.

CCTV in the area will also be improved as part of the works.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... f16d207c22

Llessur2002

#3071 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Milestone for long-awaited Gawler rail electrification

The long-stalled plan to electrify the Gawler rail line will reach a new milestone tomorrow, with the State Government to begin the tender process for the first stage of the project.

The electrification of the line, first mooted by the State Government nearly 10 years ago, has been a stop-start affair.

Stage one of the electrification, from Adelaide to Salisbury, is being fully funded by the State Government at a cost of just over $152 million.

Registrations of interest will open tomorrow for companies seeking to tender for work on the project, with full submissions to be called from July. Major construction works are due to start in early 2018.

The State Government says that apart from the core work to electrify the line – such as installing the overhead wiring system – related works will include signalling system upgrades, public safety improvements, and corridor fencing.

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan said today a matching commitment from the Federal Government in tonight’s budget would extend the electrification further and support more jobs.

However, the project doesn’t appear to be an urgent priority for Infrastructure Australia funding. Its latest priority list, released in February 2017, listed the project as a “proposed initiative” that was at the “business development” phase.

The State Government says it submitted its first business case on the project to the Federal Government in 2008. It subsequently completed a range of works, including installing 300 electrical masts, footings and working on the rail track.

Mullighan said he would continue to lobby the Federal Government to recommit to the project, after $76 million in federal funding was abruptly withdrawn in 2013 during Tony Abbott’s prime ministership.

He said the project was important because electrification would make the service faster, safer, more reliable and more comfortable.

The upgrade would also increase patronage on the rail line, which was already Adelaide’s most popular.

“Almost five million trips were recorded on the Gawler line last financial year and that doesn’t factor in the hundreds of thousands of free trips taken on our trains every year with services such as the MAC Footy Express,” he said.

While the State Government is promising that all steel will be sourced from Australian-standard certified fabricators and mills, it isn’t guaranteeing that it will all come from Whyalla’s struggling Arrium steel works, which it says doesn’t manufacture all of the steel products it needs for the project.

However, the Government is promising to “maximise” use of Arrium steel.

“Just has been occurring on other major projects, the State Government will look to maximise the use of local Arrium steel for the Gawler electrification project,” a Government spokesperson told InDaily.

“Most recently approximately 270 tonnes of Arrium steel was used on the Outer Harbor rail bridge as part of the Torrens to Torrens project. Other projects such as Darlington, O-Bahn are also using local Arrium steel.

“While we look to maximise the opportunities for Arrium steel in our projects, they do not manufacture all products needed. Any products not manufactured by Arrium will need to comply with the State Government steel policy that all steel to be sourced from Australian-standard certified fabricators and mills.”

Last week, the Whyalla steel works was promised a $73 million order from the controversial Adani coal mine in Queensland.

The giant Indian conglomerate signed a memorandum of understanding to give Arrium Steel sole right to supply all the steel required for the double-tracked 400km rail line between the central Queensland mine site and the port at Abbot Point.
From: http://indaily.com.au/news/2017/05/09/n ... ification/

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3072 Post by Kasey771 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Not before bloody time either. Last I'd heard Salisbury City Councillors were spruiking it to happen in 2017 (I guess in time for the 2018 election?) I guess Jay will just have to sette for cutting the ribbon on the O-Bahn tunnel in the lead up to the election. At least that's when I assume it's scheduled to open?
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

potsandpans
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3073 Post by potsandpans » Fri May 19, 2017 3:06 pm

With the Tonsley rail extension, are they going to put a level crossing across Sturt Rd? Or will there be an overpass/underpass? Didn't the government say they were trying to get rid of level crossings?

PeFe

#3074 Post by PeFe » Fri May 19, 2017 3:31 pm

If the South Australian government doesn't grade separate Sturt and Daws Roads during the Tonsley extension ....then they are crazy.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3075 Post by Norman » Fri May 19, 2017 3:45 pm

The train will travel over Sturt Road, but the Daws Road level crossing will stay. In saying that, I have never seen the Daws Road crossing bank up, mainly because there are so few trains going across it.