[PRO] Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 219 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#46 Post by claybro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:33 am

PeFe wrote:Faster ride for anyone west of Bowden...........
With the stations so close together on the OH line, heavy rail can barely get up to speed before slowing for the next station. In this case, light rail is just as quick IF IT IS RUN PROPERLY.
SBD wrote:Is the call for trams/light rail at Port Adelaide intended primarily for trips that have one end in the Adelaide CBD, or is it intended/expected to be primarily used for "local trips" in Port Adelaide area? In the latter case, the old model of trams feeding in to a train station might work, especially if it provides the concentration for trips to make the train services frequent too.
Both. However if it just intended to connect to Woodville to transfer to heavy rail, then it really is a waste of money for a function that could just as easily be managed by articulated buses.

Interestingly, given the 4 options noted previously on this thread, the "study" evidently shows light rail to be the best outcome in 3 of the 4 options. And yet it would appear heavy rail is where we are heading -probably because just electrifying what is there is the easiest option of the 4.
If it is to be heavy rail, then so be it, but just understand, once heavy rail is decided upon, there will be no light rail to any other areas in the north west.

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 119 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#47 Post by PeFe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:51 pm

claybro wrote:
PeFe wrote:Faster ride for anyone west of Bowden...........
With the stations so close together on the OH line, heavy rail can barely get up to speed before slowing for the next station. In this case, light rail is just as quick IF IT IS RUN PROPERLY.
SBD wrote:Is the call for trams/light rail at Port Adelaide intended primarily for trips that have one end in the Adelaide CBD, or is it intended/expected to be primarily used for "local trips" in Port Adelaide area? In the latter case, the old model of trams feeding in to a train station might work, especially if it provides the concentration for trips to make the train services frequent too.
Both. However if it just intended to connect to Woodville to transfer to heavy rail, then it really is a waste of money for a function that could just as easily be managed by articulated buses.

Interestingly, given the 4 options noted previously on this thread, the "study" evidently shows light rail to be the best outcome in 3 of the 4 options. And yet it would appear heavy rail is where we are heading -probably because just electrifying what is there is the easiest option of the 4.
If it is to be heavy rail, then so be it, but just understand, once heavy rail is decided upon, there will be no light rail to any other areas in the north west.
I have replied to this......over in the trams thread.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 70 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#48 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 am

Does conversion from heavy to light rail involve replacement/modification of tracks?

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 119 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#49 Post by PeFe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:54 am

Honey of a City wrote:Does conversion from heavy to light rail involve replacement/modification of tracks?
T - R - A - M Thread

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 144 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#50 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 am

PeFe wrote:
Honey of a City wrote:Does conversion from heavy to light rail involve replacement/modification of tracks?
T - R - A - M Thread
I see what you're saying, let's turn this into a discussion on making the Outer Harbour passenger line into an O-Bahn

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 70 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#51 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:00 am

PeFe wrote:
Honey of a City wrote:Does conversion from heavy to light rail involve replacement/modification of tracks?
T - R - A - M Thread
Actually was an innocent question regarding this development. Can someone please enlighten me?

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 775 times
Been thanked: 1413 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#52 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Just the gauge. Which can easily be changed, given that most sleepers are gauge convertible.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 70 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#53 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Norman wrote:Just the gauge. Which can easily be changed, given that most sleepers are gauge convertible.
Thanks Norman.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 457 times
Been thanked: 683 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#54 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Article from the Messenger today:
National Railway Museum warns issues to resolve before Port Dock Railway spur can return

LOCALS are “over the moon” that the old Port Dock railway station is to make a comeback more than 30 years after it closed – but questions remain regarding its impact on the National Railway Museum’s site.

The State Government announced at the weekend a new $16.4 million rail spur leading to a railway station on Baker St will be added to the Outer Harbor line.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said that when the new line opens, Port Adelaide residents would be able to catch regular train services from a modern, safe and accessible station at the site of the current Jacketts Station at the National Railway Museum.

“The new station will be located on the doorstep of the Dock One waterfront redevelopment which will include more than 750 new townhouses and apartments, a refurbished Marine and Harbours building, and waterfront boardwalk,’’ he said.

“Construction will start next year and will support 48 jobs during construction.”

Image
An artist's impression the heart of the Port, when rail is returned to it.

Since 1981, the line has passed well to the south of the town centre but the project will include reconstruction and duplication of the spur line from the existing Outer Harbor line at Grand Junction Road before the line crosses Port Rd.

Railway Museum executive officer Bob Sampson said while it would be fantastic for Port Adelaide, there are “a very long list of issues” that need to be addressed.

“We haven’t yet had a meeting with DPTI but basically it would mean the eastern side of our site where we conduct our own train operations and have a lot of materials stored (would) disappear,” Mr Sampson said.

He said it was critical that it was made clear where those train services and materials could be relocated and what the repercussions are for the museum before any construction takes place.

He added that he had been told by Mr Mullighan that he would be able to meet with the Transport Department to discuss these issues “soon”.

Image
How it could look when rail returns to the Port.

Port Adelaide business leaders have been pushing for the Port Dock railway station to be reinstated for months.

McLachlan and Martin real estate agent Rob McLachlan has been leading the charge.

“The announcement is a major step in making the Port commercially attractive to business,” Mr McLachlan said.

“In view of the limited areas available for car parking, it is essential that the existing private and public sector workers and the future workforce, including the estimated 500 public servants to be housed in the new admin building, have reliable and conveniently located public transport.”

He said the new station’s location would open up the historic precinct and the former commercial centre of the Port housing the banks, shipping and trading companies.

Nadine Crampton, who is redeveloping the old Jones Brothers building on St Vincent St said it was exactly what the Port needed and that it was much more sensible than building a tram network because it would be cheaper and quicker for everyone.

“I’m over the moon, it is really going to help my building because people are going to be able travel from the city and come to Port Adelaide and have a meal and have a drink and travel back – it makes Port Adelaide accessible,” Ms Crampton said.

“It’s the match we needed to ignite the Port because we have all this talk and plans which is fantastic but if you don’t have infrastructure it doesn’t matter.”

Mayor Gary Johanson said the council had lobbied for a rail link to the heritage precinct because the existing railway station was at the quiet end of Port Adelaide – away from the waterfront.

“It’s very exciting and the start of many good news announcements for the Port,” Mr Johanson said.

Image
An artist's impression of the planned Port spur line.
From: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 5225e9e2a0

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 70 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#55 Post by Honey of a City » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Does anyone have any updates on the progress of the spur line? It's 10 months since the announcement and no trace of any works being commenced.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 457 times
Been thanked: 683 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#56 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:20 am

Contract was awarded in January with completion scheduled for second quarter of 2019. I think some early site investigation works have been completed but hopefully we'll see more major works start soon.

http://www.urbanalyst.com/in-the-news/s ... ation.html

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 939
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 48 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#57 Post by how good is he » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:25 am

I know they were re-designing the end section - something to do interfering with the cycle path. Hopefully they design it to take it to St Vincent St some 50-100m away [maybe close the side road]?

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 48 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#58 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Should start construction within the next 4 weeks and will be named “Port Dock Station”
https://www.portadelaideguide.com/renewal-sa-news/
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 119 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#59 Post by PeFe » Thu May 03, 2018 12:34 am

I still think the station names should be swapped......Port Adelaide to revert back to Commercial Road (yes, it used to be called this) and the new station named Port Adelaide.

Why ?.......because it's logical, and not confusing for tourists/non-Adelaidians.

The counter staff at the Adelaide Metro help centre will be constantly explaining to tourists that if they want to see Port Adelaide......they should take the train to Port Dock (despite the fact the train map clearly identifies a station called Port Adelaide) Every tourist guide book/brochure will no doubt have to explain this as well.

Too hard you say, well Melbourne is about to change the name of the North Melbourne train station to West Melbourne ( because that's where it is) and there will be a new North Melbourne staion built for the Melbourne Metro (the new station will be situated in ......yes, North Melbourne)

Capiche?

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:23 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 48 times

[PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#60 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 am

Anger as bus interchange scrapped from $16.4m Port Dock plan
RAIL PROJECT NEW plans for the $16.4 million Port Dock Railway Station have revealed the State Government is no longer planning to include a bus interchange in the design.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 032ca55efe

SUBSCRIBER ONLY
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests