Port Pirie | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

Re: Port Pirie

#16 Post by Punishment466 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Just thought I'd give a bit of an update of the upgrade of the main road.

All power poles have been removed from the full section of the main road. All lightposts have been erected. Repaving the footpath, and redoing the curving has been completed on the boat ramp side of the Main drag, with the same happening now on the other side of the road, though they're narrowing the road there.

New skate park is now fully funded, and will be a great addition to the main road; council now considering installing pedestrian crossings across the main road.

New playground on Ellen St. has been completed, work crews now flattening out the area around it for new landscape. An addition $50,000 has been donated by the smelters for more greenery to minimalise the blood lead levels.

I'll take some photos soon if wanted, though right now it's only a bunch of workers repaving the footpath. Expected to all be completed in December, with an 'opening ceremony' to open the new look main road.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:28 pm

Photos would be great, thanks mate! I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks.

BTW, is Pirie's population expected to take off in the next 5 years like Portagutta's and Whyalla's, or is it expected to remain the same?
cheers,
Rhino

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by Punishment466 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:45 pm

rhino wrote:Photos would be great, thanks mate! I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks.

BTW, is Pirie's population expected to take off in the next 5 years like Portagutta's and Whyalla's, or is it expected to remain the same?
Well we keep being told in the local rag and the news that population is expected to boom within a few years.

Forgot to mention council has put up some commercial land for sale, both on main roads. Very big sites; expected to get a few more shopping centres.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Punishment466 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:18 pm

Just a few quick snaps I took while driving. Can't really see too much, but you get the point :P.

New lightposts in the median strip, with the electricity poles on the footpaths gone.

You can see the new paving on the left footpath here, with curving and paving work on the right side of the road beginning.
Note here how the lines on the road have been covered by gravel. Probably just getting ready to resurface the road, since council has said it'll remain as 2 lanes until it goes to 3 lanes past the silos.

Here you can see the new playground in the distance. This whole baron area is to be greened up, with walkways to the wharf, and supposedly a restaurant of the sorts.

Should've got some closer photos of the playground, new(ish) courthouse, and the new Target Country... Ah well, that's for another day :P.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:15 pm

Cheers for the photos Pun. They sort of remind me of Tailem Bend.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:21 am

Great photos, Port Pirie is looking pretty nice these days

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:51 am

My home town is pretty good these days, has the target opened there yet? when i was there last there it was still being constructed.

rhino

#23 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:25 am

Port Pirie needed this money spent on it, it's looking good. The lawns near the wharf will be a huge improvement too. Thanks for the photos.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#24 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:15 pm

what is the population now? about 12K?

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by Punishment466 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:47 pm

Cruise Control wrote:My home town is pretty good these days, has the target opened there yet? when i was there last there it was still being constructed.
Yeah, Target has been open for a few months now. I'll grab a photo of it today when I'm out and about, along with a few other newish developments.
Cruise Control wrote:what is the population now? about 12K?
According to the 2006 census, The whole districts population is 17,488. Can't find the population of the city alone, but I'm always hearing it's about 14-15,000.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Punishment466 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Some snaps I took while driving today.

The new courthouse which has been completed for a few months now;

New ambulance station which was completed a few weeks ago;

The new Target Country from a distance; you might be able to see a few vacant shops in the same building. There's 2 small sites up for lease for some specialty shops.

Up close;

View of the foreshore redevelopment from the back street which has newly been paved. Used to be just a dirt path, but is now looking pretty good.

Other things worth mentioning; new building which will house the French hot bread shop, and another shop (for lease) is almost complete. New mens shed next to Target Country has it's structure up, still a while yet from completion. Then there's the Wooloworths expansion which has started but only in little steps since they're working mostly behind the scenes at the moment. Not quite sure what's happening with the Centro Plaza expansion. New sites are up for lease there.

rhino

#27 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Wow, sounds like heaps of activity, that can only be a good thing for the city.

That ambulance station looks rather generic, the new one at Woomera (or was it Roxby Downs? Can't remember right now) looks identical.
cheers,
Rhino

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by Punishment466 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:27 pm

rhino wrote:Wow, sounds like heaps of activity, that can only be a good thing for the city.

That ambulance station looks rather generic, the new one at Woomera (or was it Roxby Downs? Can't remember right now) looks identical.
Yeah, it does look a bit boring doesn't it? The old ambulance station got flooded out earlier this year, so they had to build another station.

They'd been wanting a new station for years, but SA Ambulance weren't willing to spend the cash on a new station... So I guess they decided to go cheap when they NEEDED to build it :P.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 pm

rhino wrote:Wow, sounds like heaps of activity, that can only be a good thing for the city.

Yeah even the new Police and Court houses built around regional SA look very much the same. The Pt Pirie Court House looks very much like the Mt Barker Police Station.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#30 Post by Cruise » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:50 am

using the same design for different areas is not a new process. West lakes primary and North haven Primary have the same building layout, just mirrored