News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
arki
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1636 Post by arki » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:24 pm
SuperEgz wrote:Do we have any idea what kind of timetable will be used with the new extension? will every second tram go east instead of west? How often will they go up to the Festival Center?
Well I don't think that every second tram traveling east would be possible if the intersection as shown in the PDF linked earlier on in the tread is installed. Right turns from King William street won't be possible.
I noticed this too.

Bit of a shame really; would have been good to see city shuttles alternating between South Tce - East Tce and South Tce - Ent Centre.

Hopefully we at least see East Tce - Moseley Sq in afternoon peak which seems possible on the linked configuration.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1637 Post by Westside » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

My guess is the Glenelg to Entertainment ctr tram will remail as is, with a North Tce Shuttle (West Tce to East End) and a King William St Shuttle (South Tce to Festival Centre) introduced in between.

During peak hours where the tram runs every 5 mins, it'd run from Glenelg alternating between Festival Centre and Entertainment Centre, replacing the KW St shuttle. The North Tce Shuttle would then extend to the Entertainment Centre to maintain its 5 min frequency. (Although that only provides a 10 min frequency from KW St to North Tce and the Railway Station - so may not be ideal).

Any other guesses?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1638 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Westside wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm
My guess is the Glenelg to Entertainment ctr tram will remail as is, with a North Tce Shuttle (West Tce to East End) and a King William St Shuttle (South Tce to Festival Centre) introduced in between.

During peak hours where the tram runs every 5 mins, it'd run from Glenelg alternating between Festival Centre and Entertainment Centre, replacing the KW St shuttle. The North Tce Shuttle would then extend to the Entertainment Centre to maintain its 5 min frequency. (Although that only provides a 10 min frequency from KW St to North Tce and the Railway Station - so may not be ideal).

Any other guesses?
That would make sense with the shuttles.

Still hoping for an Ent Centre <-> East End route though, as that would get me close to door to door travel between home and work.

PeFe

#1639 Post by PeFe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I still think the most simple plan is best.....north-south line Riverbank to Glenelg, east west line Entertainment Centre to East End.

skyliner

#1640 Post by skyliner » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:17 pm

arki wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 pm
Tonsley213 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:24 pm
SuperEgz wrote:Do we have any idea what kind of timetable will be used with the new extension? will every second tram go east instead of west? How often will they go up to the Festival Center?
Well I don't think that every second tram traveling east would be possible if the intersection as shown in the PDF linked earlier on in the tread is installed. Right turns from King William street won't be possible.
I noticed this too.

Bit of a shame really; would have been good to see city shuttles alternating between South Tce - East Tce and South Tce - Ent Centre.

Hopefully we at least see East Tce - Moseley Sq in afternoon peak which seems possible on the linked configuration.
Re the tram junction design - there needs to be thought about how it will function with the extended tramline network - the junction needs to provide flexibility in operation in relation to increased demand for trams to access all track options. Better to design it now to cope with demand increase rather than dig up Nth Tce. KWS intersection to address demand changes.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Last edited by skyliner on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack.

Nathan

#1641 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:19 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:13 pm
I still think the most simple plan is best.....north-south line Riverbank to Glenelg, east west line Entertainment Centre to East End.
The only issue with that though is a large amount of people use the tram to connect between the railway station and the rest of the city. Might have been doable having a connection through the new Festival Plaza, but not now that they've moved that stop further north.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1642 Post by Westside » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm

If they created a scissor crossover just east of the 'Grand Junction' on North Tce, then technically you could combine with the crossover just north of the Rundle Mall stop and have trams head from North to East via the inner track. (Probably only realistic for shunting purposes rather than actual services)

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1643 Post by citywatcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 pm

I have an uneasy feeling about this

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

rubberman

#1644 Post by rubberman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:55 pm

There's so many permutations and combinations that my head hurts: Glenelg to Entercentre, Shuttles from West to East Terrace and from South Terrace to the Riverside...or South Terrace to West Terrace and Some Glenelg to Riverside and some to the Entercentre. Or Glenelg to Riverside and an Entercentre to East Terrace shuttle. Or maybe only a service to the Riverside on footy days or special events at the Festercentre.

I think I'll wait till it's announced.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#1645 Post by arki » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 pm

PeFe wrote:
The problem with this plan is that anyone travelling the Glenelg line and being destined to a location west of the KW St intersection will suddenly lose the amenity of a useful tram service. Too bad if you study/work at UniSA W, SAHMRI, NRAH or within that vicinity but live along the existing suburban tram corridor.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1646 Post by Goodsy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 am

arki wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 pm
PeFe wrote:
The problem with this plan is that anyone travelling the Glenelg line and being destined to a location west of the KW St intersection will suddenly lose the amenity of a useful tram service. Too bad if you study/work at UniSA W, SAHMRI, NRAH or within that vicinity but live along the existing suburban tram corridor.

Heaven forbid they have to walk more than 200m to their destination

bits
Legendary Member!

#1647 Post by bits » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 am

Seems many think all or most trams will be to/from Glenelg instead of trams being now geared more to inner city transport.

Glenelg to East Tce.
Glenelg to Festival Theatre.
Glenelg to Entertainment Centre.

It was Glenelg to Victoria Square not that long ago for a very long time.

Glenelg to Festival Theatre
Entertainment Centre to East Terrace
Seems very logical in the long term as lines expand.

Nathan

#1648 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:04 pm

How about:

Glenelg to Festival Theatre
Entertainment Centre to East Terrace

Plus, a South Tce to West Tce shuttle (or alternately, a South Tce -> West Tce -> East Tce -> West Tce -> South Tce shuttle).

Through lines out of the city follow the logical routes, and a high frequency shuttle within the CBD covers the the rest. Keeps things relatively simple (just three routes, maximum of two routes at any stop), and completely doable given the plans for KWS/North Tce junction.

PeFe

#1649 Post by PeFe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:27 pm

arki wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 pm
PeFe wrote:
Yes of course there will always be winners and losers, some people may have to w-a-l-k to get the other tram. Yes walk......
The winners will be all the people heading towards the Festival Centre/Adelaide Oval and the East End.
The worst scenario for the new tram lines is that that the government tries to make it "all things to all people" and fails to make the trams frequent to any of the new destinations.

rubberman

#1650 Post by rubberman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:41 pm

I can't see that there's enough demand for the Riverside stop to justify Glenelg-Riverside. The passenger demand will determine how things will run. So, it depends on how many pax want to go round the corner to the Rly Stn, vs want to go to the Riverside from the Glenelg line. Keeping in mind that there was originally just going to be a stub going North from the intersection, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Riverside gets only a very limited service in line with the demand: footy days and during the Festival and special events at the Festercentre. Other than those limited events, who will use that service? There's a metric craptonne of buses going past there every minute, so, why a ten minute service from Glenelg? Ok, what's the hard argument for that?