News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#1651 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Firstly there will be 3 (unused) trams coming from Madrid,due in October. Secondly with the new RAH there will be greater demand put on the existing tram service, because of this and the fact that this service connects with most City routes the Entertainment Centre to Glenelg service will largely remain intact.
I believe the current plan is for the Festival Plaza line to initially only be used for Adelaide Oval sporting and entertainment events.
As the new East Terrace extension will generally run at 10 minute intervals this will predominantly be a West terrace to East Terrace shuttle( the 3 additional trams will be needed to accommodate this service).

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1652 Post by fishinajar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm

A simple Nth-Sth line and a Est-Wst line would be the simplest and most future proof.
With good frequencies people can choose to walk if only a few hundred metres, or wait 1 or 2 minutes to transfer trams.
I am concerned with moving the riverside stop so far from the railway station.
IMHO

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#1653 Post by SuperEgz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 pm

I decided to ask the DPTI's Facebook page about the intersection. This is the reply I got.
Hi Nicholas, the right hand turn from King William Street onto North Terrace is not required from an operational perspective of the extension.

The tracks being installed at the intersection of King William Street and North Terrace , will allow trams to turn left onto North Terrace from King William Road and left onto King William Street from North Terrace, in addition to existing tram movements.

You are invited to register for project updates and notifications regarding the tram extension at www.citytramextension.sa.gov.au

Maybe they plan for trams to go up to the Festival Center and then back down along North Terrace East.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1654 Post by rubberman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:33 pm

fishinajar wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm
A simple Nth-Sth line and a Est-Wst line would be the simplest and most future proof.
With good frequencies people can choose to walk if only a few hundred metres, or wait 1 or 2 minutes to transfer trams.
I am concerned with moving the riverside stop so far from the railway station.
IMHO
Yebbut, you end up with people getting off at Rundle Mall, then empty trams going to Riverside, those extra tramloads of people waiting at the Rundle Mall tram stop, and then full tramloads picking them up to go round the corner. Why not just let them stay on a tram going round the corner? If you want simple, that's surely simpler than unloading, waiting, and loading at Rundle Mall.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#1655 Post by arki » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:22 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 am
arki wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 pm
PeFe wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:13 pm
I still think the most simple plan is best.....north-south line Riverbank to Glenelg, east west line Entertainment Centre to East End.
The problem with this plan is that anyone travelling the Glenelg line and being destined to a location west of the KW St intersection will suddenly lose the amenity of a useful tram service. Too bad if you study/work at UniSA W, SAHMRI, NRAH or within that vicinity but live along the existing suburban tram corridor.
Heaven forbid they have to walk more than 200m to their destination
PeFe wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:27 pm
Yes of course there will always be winners and losers, some people may have to w-a-l-k to get the other tram. Yes walk......
My mind is boggled. Rundle Mall stop to the current West Terrace stop (nRAH) is a 1.2km walk.

If the trams could actually connect at the same or at an adjacent stop it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

But having to walk to another stop to catch a connecting tram when a 'straight through' service already exists and has existed for years is ridiculous, especially given how much more demand there will be for the western stops in the coming months.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1656 Post by fishinajar » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 am

I really feel that locating the new KWS stop at the Riverside location vs adjacent Festival Plaza directly east of the southern railway station exit is a mistake. I wonder if the gradient or other aspects were issues or if they're trying to activate the "Riverbank". Either way when the line does eventually go through to Nth Adelaide and beyond the future oval stop will be crazy close to the riverside stop. The Riverside stop is going to be all but abandoned most of the time.

rubberman

#1657 Post by rubberman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:07 am

fishinajar wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 am
I really feel that locating the new KWS stop at the Riverside location vs adjacent Festival Plaza directly east of the southern railway station exit is a mistake. I wonder if the gradient or other aspects were issues or if they're trying to activate the "Riverbank". Either way when the line does eventually go through to Nth Adelaide and beyond the future oval stop will be crazy close to the riverside stop. The Riverside stop is going to be all but abandoned most of the time.
I think (but don't know) that if or whenever the line is extended north to Prospect, the Riverside stop could be relocated or as you suggest, abandoned. The section of line from North Terrace was only put in so that the North Terrace intersection would not need to be dug up once the line to Prospect is built. That is, the Riverside extension is only a temporary arrangement.

The other thing to note is that because of all the bus stops outside Parliament House, maybe they felt they needed to locate the stop north of all those to avoid congestion. (Just guessing).

Of course, there's no reason why buses couldnt share a tram stop so as to reduce congestion as is done often in Europe.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#1658 Post by citywatcher » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:58 am

A lot of the southern footpath has been dug up as you head east

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

Adelaidean
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1659 Post by Adelaidean » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:09 am

When is the estimated completion date?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1660 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:02 am

Adelaidean wrote:When is the estimated completion date?
I heard two dates for the construction part, one said November and the other one was January 2018. Trams should be running in February or March (how convenient ;) )

The Scooter Guy

#1661 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:58 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:02 am
Adelaidean wrote:When is the estimated completion date?
I heard two dates for the construction part, one said November and the other one was January 2018. Trams should be running in February or March (how convenient ;) )
Hopefully in time for the Fringe & Five-Hundred.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1662 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 pm

I didn't see any dug up sections?

Nathan

#1663 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Night works scheduled for Thursday night (weather permitting) to test the large profiling machine to excavate the upper layer of the road. They'll be testing along a 50m stretch near Stephens Place.

ChillyPhilly

#1664 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm

For those not in the city often, this is from the North Terrace/Pulteney Street intersection. Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Adelaidean
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1665 Post by Adelaidean » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:15 pm
Night works scheduled for Thursday night (weather permitting) to test the large profiling machine to excavate the upper layer of the road. They'll be testing along a 50m stretch near Stephens Place.
Will they be going straight from the KWS intersections to Stephens Pl?