News & Discussion: General CBD Development

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Prodical
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: General CBD Development

#2161 Post by Prodical » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Have been taking some photos of the changing feel in the west side of the CBD. The University buildings and the apartments are having an impact. This photo from February
Attachments
Feb 2017 CBD.jpg
Feb 2017 CBD.jpg (325.31 KiB) Viewed 6232 times

Prodical
High Rise Poster!

#2162 Post by Prodical » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:00 pm

This photo taken today and the skyline density is changing - West Franklin will make a real difference and the Woolworth will make it so much better for people living and working here
Attachments
June 15 CBD.jpg
June 15 CBD.jpg (286.54 KiB) Viewed 6230 times

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2163 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:54 am

Having previously lived in Melbourne, that photo has a very sort of South Yarra / St Kilda vibe to it; mid-rise buildings peeking above historic cottages. A new Adelaide emerging, exciting times. West Franklin will be massive once complete.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2164 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:16 pm

The upgrade to 387-391 King William Street is looking really good. Walked past it the other day. Couldn't get a photo as it was early evening but they've done a really good job on the upper level of the building.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#2165 Post by citywatcher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Should see the second crane up on West Franklin and cranes up on Uniting Communities and U2 before the end of the year. The North Terrace tram extension should be well under way too. As for One Flinders and GPO who knows . They seem to be stalling.

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2166 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:31 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:33 pm
Should see the second crane up on West Franklin and cranes up on Uniting Communities and U2 before the end of the year. The North Terrace tram extension should be well under way too. As for One Flinders and GPO who knows . They seem to be stalling.

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk
Well before then. I'd say probably within the next 4-6 weeks, all 3 will be up.

The GPO tower hasn't stalled, the SA Government has committed to leasing 50% of the building. Construction is expected to begin later this year or early 2018.

One Flinders is currently underway.

ghs

#2167 Post by ghs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

One Flinders is still a vacant block.

[Shuz]

#2168 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:12 am

like the space where your brain is supposed to be.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2169 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:48 am

Photo update as of Saturday, August 5, 2017 of the 387-391 King William Street upgrade.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2170 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am

When going past the Intercontinental yesterday, I saw black cladding at the top of the concrete side where the signage is. Are they planning to extend this all the way down the sides? Would improve the building a lot IMO.
Hell, I would clad it all in black and grey, it would certainly update it. I do rather like the shape, it just needs a new colour. The cladding used in black would be a nice finish all over.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2171 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am
When going past the Intercontinental yesterday, I saw black cladding at the top of the concrete side where the signage is. Are they planning to extend this all the way down the sides? Would improve the building a lot IMO.
Hell, I would clad it all in black and grey, it would certainly update it. I do rather like the shape, it just needs a new colour. The cladding used in black would be a nice finish all over.
That's only just part of the logo. It's been there ever since it was renamed from the "Hyatt Regency".

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2172 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm

They really need t do something about the facade of this building. It is beyond dated. I quite like the shape. We have a lot of various lines and different shaped buildings through this area with the most recent developments and I feel this building can add to it. It would be nice to modernise the facade, the area in front of it and the old convention centre car park that is painted a similar shade of orange. Can they not demolish this car park or at least put a glass front on it and paint it? It is an eyesore. Bars, cafes and the like all through to the railway station would be great. There is so much potential in this area. The River Bank is a great start but there is a lot that could be re-activated in already existing areas.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#2173 Post by Briggzy_03 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-11/b ... atenews_sa
Beach planned on Adelaide Riverbank aimed at 'after-work crowd and families'

A city beach is being proposed for the Riverbank precinct in the Adelaide CBD, with plans to have it in place by summer.

Bids are being sought by the urban renewal authority, Renewal SA, for design and installation of a beach on the banks of the River Torrens at the northern end of the CBD.

The tender document says Renewal SA wants "an urban beach demonstration project in the Adelaide Riverbank from November through to January".

"Themed around a cool, relaxed vibe, we are looking for a variety of activities and offerings to appeal, day and night, to young professionals, the after-work crowd and families," the tender said.

"There will be a variety of sand and water-based activities for adults and children alike, run during the day and night, including high-quality food and beverage offerings and a program of 'participation opportunities'."

The closing date for bids is September 1.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2174 Post by mshagg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Cool idea. Let's hope the ACC doesn't try and spoil it by imposing a sundown curfew on people having fun there.

Algernon

#2175 Post by Algernon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Briggzy_03 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-11/b ... atenews_sa
Beach planned on Adelaide Riverbank aimed at 'after-work crowd and families'

A city beach is being proposed for the Riverbank precinct in the Adelaide CBD, with plans to have it in place by summer.

Bids are being sought by the urban renewal authority, Renewal SA, for design and installation of a beach on the banks of the River Torrens at the northern end of the CBD.

The tender document says Renewal SA wants "an urban beach demonstration project in the Adelaide Riverbank from November through to January".

"Themed around a cool, relaxed vibe, we are looking for a variety of activities and offerings to appeal, day and night, to young professionals, the after-work crowd and families," the tender said.

"There will be a variety of sand and water-based activities for adults and children alike, run during the day and night, including high-quality food and beverage offerings and a program of 'participation opportunities'."

The closing date for bids is September 1.
Great idea.

Step 1: clean the Torrens

...and we never heard about the plan ever again