News & Developments: Henley Beach & Grange

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Henley Beach/Grange | Developments & News

#166 Post by Paulns » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:03 pm

crawf wrote:Great photos Paulns

Can't wait to see this take shape. Though are they also refurbishing the old Henley jetty? - I hope they are.
Thanks Crawf. There is a sign that says the the jetty will be closed for a week soon. I agree it needs some work but I don't know what they'll be doing in that week? The jetty certainly needs a good old paint at least! It'd be a shame to have a shabby looking jetty with a fresh new Henley Square.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#167 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Paid parking (a paltry $2 an hour) is being introduced to the two carparks immediately adjacent to Henley Square.

Which of course means the typical Adelaide wailing about never going to Henley Beach again, no longer being able to afford coffee, and the apocalypse.

[Shuz]

#168 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:53 pm

"We’re all going to be in hospital with depression because we can’t meet and have our coffee,” Mr Morris said.

Literal quote from the Advertiser in response to paid parking. :hilarious:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#169 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 pm

The article if anyone is interested: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 65089d8116

F**k me, if you can afford a $5 Cibo coffee you can afford $2 for parking. And if it frees up even a bit of space I am more than happy to pay $2 to park a bit closer to the action.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#170 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:53 pm
"We’re all going to be in hospital with depression because we can’t meet and have our coffee,” Mr Morris said.

Literal quote from the Advertiser in response to paid parking. :hilarious:
I lol'd when I saw that.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#171 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Isn't there an issue here of private appropriation of public space?

Ownership of land gives the owner the right to exclusive occupation of the land, but not occupation of adjoining public land. If there is such occupation, there should be an agreed licence and a fee. I suggest that it is beyond the capacity of the council to grant a licence for exclusive use of the beach. I doubt the council even owns the beach.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#172 Post by monotonehell » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:26 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:01 pm
Isn't there an issue here of private appropriation of public space?

Ownership of land gives the owner the right to exclusive occupation of the land, but not occupation of adjoining public land. If there is such occupation, there should be an agreed licence and a fee. I suggest that it is beyond the capacity of the council to grant a licence for exclusive use of the beach. I doubt the council even owns the beach.
:?:
In what context do you make these comments? The only thing discussed here recently was that two existing car parks at Henley are getting parking meters.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#173 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

I think he's referring to the proposal from Henley Beach Business Association to put lounges out on the beach, which businesses could do table service to.

Nathan

#174 Post by Nathan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Over 400 people to a protest about paying a pittance for parking. What an embarrassing example of Adelaide's narrow-mindedness and sense of entitlement around cars.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#175 Post by Allkai » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am

Nathan wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Over 400 people to a protest about paying a pittance for parking. What an embarrassing example of Adelaide's narrow-mindedness and sense of entitlement around cars.
I heard that removal of the meter machines will be approved tonight......

EDIT: yep, done.

Llessur2002

Re: News & Developments: Henley Beach & Grange

#176 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Cool...
Main St at Henley Beach would close and become a ‘public plaza’ under $5 million plan

Henley Square would be effectively extended to Military Rd under a $5 million plan from Charles Sturt Council to shut off part of Main St by 2021.

The section between Seaview and Military roads — next to the Ramsgate Hotel and Henley Square Shopping Centre — would be closed to traffic and turned into a “public plaza” with grassed areas, seating and outdoor dining.

Anyone wanting to drive from Seaview Rd to Military Rd would have to use North or South streets, 300m in each direction from Main St.

The project design is expected to cost $360,000.

It would be part of a wider plan to revamp the Henley Beach foreshore area.

Under the plan, there would be:

■ MORE pedestrian crossings on Military Rd;

■ RAISED intersections to slow down traffic;

■ THE removal of roundabouts on North and South streets;

■ EXTRA on street car parking;

■ PAVING of Main St between Military Rd and East Terrace; and,

■ A CHANGE from angled to parallel parking on Main St.

Access to parking a the shopping centre would not be affected.

The small stretch of Main St would also new bicycle and motorcycle parking and extra parking for people with disabilities closer to the road, as well as “feature lighting” and more trees.

It would result in the removal of some one hour parking spaces.

A report to the council’s asset management committee said the section of Military Rd at Henley Beach was due for rehabilitation in 2020.

Charles Sturt last year conducted a round of community consultation that found visitors wanted wider paths, more crossing points, trees and more street furniture.

According to the report, money for the project would be budgeted in the 2020/21 financial year.

The report also suggests the installation of an “iconic” bus stop to become a local landmark and public art.

Manager of nearby restaurant Stella, Phillippo Ludovici believed the upgrade would help attract more people to the area.

“Of course, I think it’ll be great,” Mr Ludovici said.

Charles Sturt Mayor Angela Evans said the project was an “exciting opportunity” to improve the Henley Beach area.

“In developing the concept designs, our main priorities have been improving access, amenity and safety and for all road users while balancing the needs for parking, reducing urban heat and incorporating placemaking opportunities,” Ms Evans said.

“It’s important when these opportunities arise that we ask ourselves, ‘how do we make it a great place, where people love to walk, cycle, visit, stop and spend time’?”

Charles Sturt started an eight-month, $8.4 million upgrade of Henley Square in 2015.

It included wave-shaped timber seating, large shaded structures with overhanging lights, two grassed areas and a concrete terrace from the square to the beach.

Shade sails were later added after they were missed in the initial design.

The council will conduct community consultation on the new plans next month.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 9215f86c5a

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#177 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 pm

There's be a lot of uptake since the last upgrade, so this should see Henley continue to go from strength to strength.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#178 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Great idea. I've always wondered why they didn't just do this in the first place?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#179 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Fantastic news! Henley Beach is now my favourite beach in Adelaide. This will make it even better.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#180 Post by rev » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:08 pm

A public plaza that will still have vehicle access to a car park through the public plaza?

Why not extend Henley Square onto Seaview Road from the Ramsgate at the southern end to the car park entry/exit at the northern end and into Main Street? Remove the car parking on main street, and the car park access to the shopping center moved to the Military Road side of it...Then redirect the majority of through traffic via North St/Military Rd/South st..
That would significantly cut down traffic through that part and make it a much safer pedestrian/public area.