News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1051 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:02 pm

From 31/08/2017. New red/yellow 'partial' traffic lights have been installed.
I wonder what they're for?

For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1052 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:19 pm

Probably yellow to indicate congestion and red to indicate closure of the tunnel.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1053 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:02 pm
From 31/08/2017. New red/yellow 'partial' traffic lights have been installed.
I wonder what they're for?
This project has a lot of (over) engineered safety features. I don't know how the final design turned out, but they were considering everything from pop-up bollards to automated gates. Hopefully the simple lights are where they ended, as anything else would be soon cleaned up by an errant motorist.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Scooter Guy

#1054 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:19 pm
Probably yellow to indicate congestion and red to indicate closure of the tunnel.
Most Likely.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

Nort

#1055 Post by Nort » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:22 pm

I wonder how long until the first idiot drives down there. 6 weeks? To be honest in a way being the first would be a badge of honour for some.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1056 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Nort wrote:I wonder how long until the first idiot drives down there. 6 weeks? To be honest in a way being the first would be a badge of honour for some.
Given how bad Adelaide drivers are I think it'll be closer to 3 weeks after opening. :wallbash: :wallbash: Might have been worth costing up those retractable bollards spoken about earlier and giving bus drivers a "garage door key" like fob for access? ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1057 Post by bits » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:08 am

Is it that big a problem if a car ends up somewhere it is not authorised to be?
Cars can drive on the wrong side of the road and cause crashes or just drive across the parklands, is it a badge of honour if you do that?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1058 Post by Goodsy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:37 am

bits wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:08 am
Is it that big a problem if a car ends up somewhere it is not authorised to be?
Cars can drive on the wrong side of the road and cause crashes or just drive across the parklands, is it a badge of honour if you do that?
the tunnel isn't using o-bahn tracks so there's probably less of a risk of them getting wedged in there and shutting the whole thing down for a few hours... but I'm sure someone will still manage

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1059 Post by timtam20292 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:51 am

What about the guiders though? Cars don't have those special guided wheels on them so I imagine they'd still get stuck on the track eventually?

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1060 Post by Tonsley213 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Is it school holidays or something :roll:

By the looks of all photos submitted to the thread it looks like concrete pavement with a concrete kerb, what exactly what they get stuck in/on? Hell. Does my car need to be fitted with guide wheels when I'm driving down a road with a stand up kerb either side.... :roll: :roll:

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1061 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 am

Tonsley213 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 pm

By the looks of all photos submitted to the thread it looks like concrete pavement with a concrete kerb, what exactly what they get stuck in/on? Hell. Does my car need to be fitted with guide wheels when I'm driving down a road with a stand up kerb either side.... :roll: :roll:
A car in the tunnel would be a safety hazard to busses travelling at speed behind. If a car entered the tunnel, they'd have to shut it(the tunnel) down until they got the car out.
Last edited by Kasey771 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1062 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:23 am

Tonsley213 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 pm

You obviously fail to understand the concerns of people accidentally driving into the tunnel :roll:

bits
Legendary Member!

#1063 Post by bits » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:36 pm

The biggest concern seems to be the bus priority tunnel would be a car tunnel if cars were not prohibited.
Cars will be prohibited so im sure very few will go in the tunnel and buses will not be impacted much at all. Similar to the bus lanes on East/Grenfell/Currie, cars are prohibited and mostly obey so buses get a benefit.

This new tunnel doesnt seem to be constructed like the main O-Bahn track which for what i assume was cost saving was built with an open pit middle.
The open pit is a huge concern for cars which can "derail". The new tunnel doesnt appear to have the open pit so the risk to/of cars is not the same.

The Scooter Guy

#1064 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:16 pm

bits wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:36 pm
The biggest concern seems to be the bus priority tunnel would be a car tunnel if cars were not prohibited.
Cars will be prohibited so im sure very few will go in the tunnel and buses will not be impacted much at all. Similar to the bus lanes on East/Grenfell/Currie, cars are prohibited and mostly obey so buses get a benefit.

This new tunnel doesnt seem to be constructed like the main O-Bahn track which for what i assume was cost saving was built with an open pit middle.
The open pit is a huge concern for cars which can "derail". The new tunnel doesnt appear to have the open pit so the risk to/of cars is not the same.
There is going to be possibly some means of deterring cars. For me, special raised islands with convex sides like this:

Or maybe diagonally shaped pits like these:

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1065 Post by adelaide transport » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Heard today that later in the year when the O-Bahn tunnel opens that the Clarendon Street Bus terminus(layover area) will close as the University intends to build on that site. There will be a new set down bus stop opposite,before buses terminate at a yet to be advised location!