News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3136 Post by rubberman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 pm

I have no specific opinion myself, but once the Gawler electrification is done, wouldn't it be better to electrify the Hills line?

Would not electric traction produce a bigger improvement on the grades there? The Port line is flat, and the diesels would find that less of a challenge.

or is there some other consideration?

Also, there's a lot of development up North. If we don't plan some heavy rail there now, we never will.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3137 Post by Mr Messy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:19 pm

rubberman wrote:I have no specific opinion myself, but once the Gawler electrification is done, wouldn't it be better to electrify the Hills line?

Would not electric traction produce a bigger improvement on the grades there? The Port line is flat, and the diesels would find that less of a challenge.

Also, there's a lot of development up North. If we don't plan some heavy rail there now, we never will.
The Sleeps Hill tunnel makes its very difficult to electrify the line. My understanding is it would require major works to install the lines due to its construction

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3138 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm

crawf wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 am
With the state election fast approaching, I think it's very possible we will hear plans to electrify the Port Adelaide Line.

*fingers crossed*
Isn't that line intended to be converted to a tramline?

[Shuz]

#3139 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Well, all indicators are that won't be happening anymore.

The Torrens Junction project, Port Dock Spur and Bowden Station redevelopment are all enginereed and built to heavy-rail standards. Its retention as a heavy rail corridor and electrification is very likely.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3140 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 am

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm
crawf wrote:
With the state election fast approaching, I think it's very possible we will hear plans to electrify the Port Adelaide Line.

*fingers crossed*
trams would be a step backwards IMO. It should and likely will remain heavy rail.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

claybro

#3141 Post by claybro » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 am
Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm
crawf wrote:

*fingers crossed*
trams would be a step backwards IMO. It should and likely will remain heavy rail.
Of 4 options for Thi corridor, 3 of them recommended light rail, mainly due to flexibility of multiple destinations. Except for those North of Semaphore, light rail will be just as quick, and more frequent if a dedicated rail corridor is used through the parklands instead of port road.

Have to agree with Shuz though, it appears as though upgrade of heavy rail now appears to be the preferred option, so say good bye to West Lakesand Semaphore road spurs, and quite possibly the grange line.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#3142 Post by A-Town » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Mr Messy wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:19 pm
rubberman wrote:I have no specific opinion myself, but once the Gawler electrification is done, wouldn't it be better to electrify the Hills line?

The Sleeps Hill tunnel makes its very difficult to electrify the line. My understanding is it would require major works to install the lines due to its construction

Yep, for this reason electrifying the Belair line is a long way off.

Llessur2002

#3143 Post by Llessur2002 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:30 pm

The obligatory 'before' shot of the National Rail Museum yard area which will become the new Port Adelaide railway station.

Hopefully this view should start to change soon...Image
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubberman

#3144 Post by rubberman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm

A-Town wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 pm
Mr Messy wrote:

Not disagreeing or anything, but would it be any more difficult than the Torrens junction project?

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3145 Post by Mr Messy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 pm

rubberman wrote:
A-Town wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 pm
Mr Messy wrote:

Not disagreeing or anything, but would it be any more difficult than the Torrens junction project?
Yes, because they would have to somehow resize the existing tunnel or dig a new one through sandy soil

EBG

#3146 Post by EBG » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Electrifying Sleeps Hill tunnel is not that great a problem, you do not need complicated catenary, one simply fixes a conducting rod directly to the roof of the tunnel and the pantagraphs automatically adjust the any change in heights.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3147 Post by muzzamo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 am

EBG wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm
Electrifying Sleeps Hill tunnel is not that great a problem, you do not need complicated catenary, one simply fixes a conducting rod directly to the roof of the tunnel and the pantagraphs automatically adjust the any change in heights.
An inanimate carbon rod!
kAVnAFe.png
kAVnAFe.png (307.9 KiB) Viewed 3556 times

Patrick_27

#3148 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:15 am

OR just make the tunnel deeper by digging out the ground below the tracks and lowering them. It could be done, I think the problem is more the fact that electrifying the Belair line would present issues with timing of such a long single line system, I'd presume they'd need to move freight north before any such consideration was made to electrify, in which case I'd also hope they'd consider extending it back out as far as Bridgwater if not Mt. Barker or Murray Bridge...

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3149 Post by Eurostar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm

I recommend Aldinga needs a train service asap because the population could support it, also maybe even a branch line servicing Seaford Vista and McLaren Vale

EBG

#3150 Post by EBG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 pm

When electrification was first announced in 2008 all the metropolitan lines were to be converted to standard gauge by 2013 and all new work since then has used dual gauge sleepers. if this is done we would not have 2 single lines between Adelaide and Belair then trains could return to Bridgewater and extend to Mount Barker. It is all a question of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.